1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Lost: Season 5

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Lou Sytsma, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    Is it possible she was pretending in Season 3? Through the flashbacks, it's been revealed that her character wasn't who she said she was (rather, she was an experienced operative employed by Widmore). And her last act was to make Kate think she was on her side only to secretly betray all of the Losties.

Anyway, I thought it was a really solid episode. Certainly lighter, but I felt it was more in the style of classic Lost. The season's been moving so fast that it's hard to really care for these characters - the very element that made the show great to begin with. This episode also contained one of the more emotional moments of the season while also setting up the story for the next few episodes in the season.

2. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

Count me in as someone who thoroughly enjoyed... no, needed an episode like Some Like It Hoth. Like I said earlier, this Season has moved ahead at such a breakneck pace, with development after development. This has made for a great Season, but one detriment to this is a necessary reduction of the lighter character moments that endeared us to the LOST ensemble in the first place. Tonight we got some of that (and a whole lot more) and I relished every minute.

Aside from Miles's backstory (which, I agree, repeated too many of the themes from his first flashback episode), we got:

* Emasculated "Work Man Jack" not doing much except covering for Kate - will he take on a more active role soon? And I suppose he's totally over that painkiller/alcohol dependency he dropped cold turkey?
    * Kate's pain over losing Aaron causes her to forge a not necessarily healthy bond with Roger Linus, with whom she identifies. Unfortunately, this compassion is misplaced and has endangered the Dharma Losties.
    * Almost certain confirmation that Widmore staged the fake Oceanic crash.
    * Establishment of "Shadow of the Statue" cult as big threat in next Season.
    * We saw the building of "The Swan" station and "The Hatch" and possibly "The Orchid," all in one episode.
    * Sawyer's juggling act, held on for many episodes (3 years), finally stretched too thin to sustain itself.

Both Miles and Hurley needed some more attention. I love their banter/interplay, and adding Pierre Chang to the mix was quite hilarious. All we've known about this doctor is that he was a kind of no-nonsense 'instructor' without a known history or personality. Making him, as Miles/Hurley said, a 'douche' and giving him this relationship with Miles, is a great turn of events. Way back in Season 2, I wondered if we'd ever find out who this guy is.

Lastly, I loved that Hurley mentioned Chang's other name, "Marvin Candle" and asked what was up with that. "Was that his stage name, or something?"

I've had enough of these ABC promos, by the way. "Battle lines are drawn!! Sides will be chosen! Explosions will happen!! Survivor vs. survivor! A war is coming...." urgh. LOST is so much better than that.

3. Steve Y

Steve Y Supporting Actor

I also don't understand why Naomi was surprised last season to run into the 815 survivors. It's possible that Widmore (who is very careful about doling out any information about the island) would have staged the wreck without telling anyone why... which means he would have needed some awfully loyal yes-men (and women).

I've forgotten how Widmore even knew about the survivors. Was it initially through Michael's reappearance?

4. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

They haven't said how Widmore knows about the crash. In last season's Ji Yeon, Ben shows Locke a videotape where Widmore nabs one of Ben's men. You don't know when the tape was shot but maybe that guy was forced into talking about what really happened to Flight 815.

EDIT: I just remembered that the tape that Ben showed Locke was marked 'Red Sox' so it's the same tape that Ben showed Jack in The Hydra of Boston winning the World Series at the beginning of S3. Ben says that he taped over the Red Sox game so the Widmore video must have been shot sometime after the beginning of S3 which would fit with Naomi arriving on the island in the last 1/3 of S3.

Also, I think the episode with Ben showing Locke the tape might have actually been The Other Woman (rather than Ji Yeon).

5. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.

We do?
    Were was he?

6. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    I have no problem with repeating some of Miles's backstory. Not everyone watching now has seen all the previous seasons, and the producers need to make the episodes at least comprehensible to anyone tuning in for the very first time. If "talks to dead people" and "I hate my dad" are going to be very important plots points for the current story - but haven't been touched on much in a couple of years - it only makes sense to remind everybody about them. Besides, I don't recall his daddy issues being that prominent in past stories, or anything at all about his mother.

I really liked the episode. It was a good move to let everyone catch their breath before plunging into the inevitable season finale cliff-hanger, the story focused on a couple of characters who are fun and needed the attention, and it revealed all sorts of stuff that advanced "the main plot" just fine.

Have to disagree about "emasculated workman Jack." This is "I've come to accept the mysteries of the island Jack", no longer trying to impose his will on events or tell others what to do. He's tried that approach and it didn't work out too well. Now he's waiting for the island to reveal its purpose to him, and his purpose as well. In some ways he's become John Locke, just as Sawyer has, in some ways, become Jack, the responsible leader trying to keep his people safe.

As for the speed of the story - this is inevitable. Next season is going to be fast-paced was well. Every story follows this pattern: Introduction of characters and situations, rising tension and complications, climax, where everything that was established before is paid off, denoument, tying up loose ends. This applies to individual episodes, whole seasons and the entire series.

The fourth act any one hour drama is usually a sprint to the finish as all the story points raised earlier are resolved on the way to the final shot.
    Think of each season as one volume in a series of books. Each volume tells a story, and is also a part of the over-all story. Each season naturally "speeds up" as it approaches the end and the revelation of the answers to that season's mysteries, and the show as a whole will speed up (with some "breather" episodes) as it nears the conclusion of next season. The start of next season will probably be a little slower, however, as the producers make room for new viewers to get acquainted and remind those of us with fading memories what happened in the previous seasons.

Regards,

Joe

7. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Assuming this is a reference to Faraday's whereabouts - he's been in the States, at Dharma headquarters. (Or at least one of their facilities. They've mentioned the city a couple of times, as in "Washington said this" or "the people from Washington are due in" - except the city isn't Wasahington. All I can remember is it starts with an "A" and I think it is two words. Ann Arbor?) He left on a submarine at some point and has just returned.

Regards,

Joe

8. NeilO

NeilO Producer

Miles was told it was a a team of scientists from Ann Arbor coming on the submarine. In a previous episode when discussing about what to do with the prisoner (Sayid), Radzinsky suggests to contact Ann Arbor. So, that is probably the HQ of the Dharma Initiative.

9. Bryan Beckman

Bryan Beckman Second Unit

I loved how Hurley changed the opening of Empire Strikes Back to make Chewbacca the hero, not Han Solo. In a way, Hurley is like the Chewbacca of this show - overweight, a little hairier than we're used to, but absolutely the heart and soul of Lost. The show(s) simply isn't/aren't the same without him/them.

OK, so Chewbacca isn't overweight. They've both really big guys. That's better.

10. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

By the way, I thought "Some like it Hoth" was a great title. "Ewoks suck". [​IMG]

Regards,

Joe

11. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    If this was a "meh" episode, that's a tribute to how incredible this season has been. I enjoyed every minute of it. Miles and Hurley are the new comedy duo, replacing Hurley and Sawyer. I was a little disappointed that they spelled out what Hurley was doing in the journal, since I knew from the episode title, but it was necessary for the later parallel Hurley drew between Miles/Chang and Luke/Vader.

I was one of the few defenders of the bus episode, so y'all might as well get on board with this one, too. [​IMG]

12. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I liked that episode too. [​IMG]

13. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Producer

Josh Dial
    I really liked this episode. My only issue was how Hurley got the order of events mixed up: he said Luke over-reacted and lost his hand after finding out Vader was his father; when in actuality, Vader slices his hand off, and *then* reveals that he is Luke's father.

14. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    I noticed that, too, but I think Hurley's just one of those guy who isn't real good with details.

15. Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper Cinematographer

Yeah, you'd think after watching it like 200 times he would get that right! [​IMG]

16. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Producer

Josh Dial
    Another interesting piece of detail from this episode was from the scene with Roger and Jack in the school room. The blackboard was covered with information about ancient Egypt and hieroglyphics.

17. Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper Cinematographer

I liked that part too. Jack is erasing one half of the chalkboard, then he turns around and talks to Roger. When it cuts back to Jack, the entire chalkboard is erased!

18. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Or that's one of Hurley's "improvements" and he was explaining the story in terms of his version. And I'm another who liked the bus episode and never considered it "wasted". Wish I could say the same about all the Star Wars films. [​IMG]

Regards,

Joe

19. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

Count me in as someone else who also greatly enjoyed Season 3's "Bus" episode.

For me, character moments are key to the series. I'm aware of the fact that LOST is, first and foremost, a mystery. Therefore, the unveiling of those mysteries is important. However, I'm not going to judge an episode by how many answers I got, but rather, whether I felt the writers did credit to the pacing of the story and gave us something relevant to chew on about the characters.

Every episode in our current Season has taken upon itself to fill in gaps, large and small, in our understanding of the LOST universe. Some of those filled gaps don't necessarily propel us toward the resolution of the series and the answers to the big questions, but the smaller reveals (and "Some Like It Hoth" was filled with them) are no less important to me. Again, my criteria for what makes a good episode has less to do with how many answers I get and more to do with 'was the drama consistent with what I've come to expect from the LOST universe and its characters?'

The big questions, and how they're answered, matter to me. They are: What is the Island and what is the exact nature of its power? Who are the Others? What is the ultimate purpose/fate of the survivors? I anxiously await the resolution of some of these mysteries.

This Season has plunged headlong into some real 'meaty' science fiction/speculation for the first time. A sustained crescendo of revelation from episode to episode has largely delivered, but it's now expected. Those 'wow' moments shouldn't be sustained, though. We need, quieter more character based moments to keep ourselves reminded about where these people are headed and how they're reacting to each step in their respective journeys. We need Hurley and Miles's banter. We need Juliet and Sawyer's relationship. We need that stuff to keep us caring about these people.

20. Joe_H

Joe_H Screenwriter

I should clarify just a little about my previous post. I never intended to say it was a horrible episode by any means, I'd just consider it about average. The rest of the season has just been so far above and beyond this one that it's clearly the low point to me. And yeah, I realize that not every episode can be as frantic-paced as many of the others, and that especially on Lost there tends to be a slow episode before the last few episodes leading up to the finale. Even understanding this, it clearly was the low point of the season for me.