1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Lost: Season 5

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Lou Sytsma, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Mikah Cerucco

Mikah Cerucco Cinematographer

He thinks it, and he's certainly a smarter guy than I, but I've seen no evidence that what he thinks is true. Witness all his efforts to change the time line only to have it proceed as it did before. I'll accept they can change events when the show shows it.

2. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

He probably dies in 1977 - but if they pull a Locke and bring his body with them to 2007, all bets are off. And Eloise has no knowledge of current events on the island. I think she does believe that all of the Oceanic Six have to be on the island in 2007 in order to save the place. And the only way to get the party that was stranded in 1974 back to the present was for Jack and company to return, precipitate the crisis she remembers and set in motion a chain of events that includes her son's death. I think she spent the years in between hoping that Daniel would find a way around the problem, or that once he returned to the island he would be cured and find a way to alter the timeline.

Re: The guns. In going up against the Others it helps to be armed as this can at least get them to be cautious and talk before shooting. (Sure, they outnumber you, but nobody wants to risk getting his people hurt or killed in a shootout if it can be avoided.) Kate has enough experience with them to know this and based on what we've seen before, it is reasonable. She was not going to give a gun to Daniel. He specifically asked for one. ("Got anything for a beginner?") I'm not sure why he thought he needed a weapon, unless it was from things he'd seen or heard growing up around his mother, but he clearly believed that he needed the threat of a gun to get Eloise, specifically, to talk to him.

Re: Eloise. She seems to have detailed knowledge of events on both the island and the mainland up until the departure of Jacks' group for their return to the island. Presumably this comes from Jack and Kate, although it is also possible that she does a bit of "time jumping" a la Desmond as a result of "The Incident" and gains some of this knowledge directly. But now she's in the dark, like the rest of us.

Regards,

Joe

3. MarkMel

MarkMel Screenwriter

I was thinking that Eloise needed to send Jack et. al to the island so that they could chance the events that caused her to shoot Faraday.

4. John_Lee

John_Lee Supporting Actor

Anyone with any insight as to why Eloise '54 and '77 doesn't appear to have aged, but she subsequently has?

5. Derek_J

Derek_J Stunt Coordinator

Guessing it's because she is no longer on the island. Batmanuel/Alpert may also age when he's off the island.

6. Derek_J

I thought it was because he was personally absent for almost all of Dans life.

7. Derek_J

Yeah. If she could remember it happening, that means neither she nor anyone else had done anything that could change the fact, and asking him to go back was inconsequential.

I also miss Faraday.

8. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

It's a different actor playing the role in each era so she's aged.

9. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    Hoping we see some sort of continuation of Faraday's character. He was the best of all the new characters introduced since the show began. There were hints from the writers in a recent interview that one of the deaths on the island this season would not be exactly what it seemed.

10. Shaun

Shaun Second Unit

I'm hoping that's not the last we see of Faraday. Can't Richard just bring him to the Temple and have him healed just like kid-Ben? Obviously Richard didn't mean for him to be shot.

11. Steve Y

Steve Y Supporting Actor

I too questioned bringing guns in the others' camp, but keep in mind the people Faraday had with him - Kate, who has a lot to lose if the time-line can be changed (I don't believe it can), and Jack, who is always rashly storming somewhere with guns, and wants to get the hell out of dodge. Faraday doesn't know any better. He's desperate and a little loopy. It WAS a bit of a stretch, though.

Right before Daniel went down the slope into the camp, Jack was about to stop him from rushing blindly into the camp, but Kate stopped him. I believe she wanted it to end badly. Just a few moments before she questioned whether or not they were doing the right thing, and I'm certain she was thinking a little about her predicament at the time of the crash.

I do hope at least ONE of the characters (Hurley?) considers the possibility that following out Daniel's plan will just be acting out destiny. Otherwise we're going to feel way ahead of the characters, and that's not a good feeling.

I'm most looking forward to the "present-day" situation on the island. The Locke and Ben dynamic is going to be fun to watch.

12. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Eloise in 1977 now has Daniel's notebook, which she later knew to buy for her son so she'd be able to take it off his dead body in 1977. I don't think she's ever jumped through time -- she only knew that her son would do so.

I believe he is truly dead now. Which is really sad because I had come to really like his character. When he first appeared on the island I was bothered by the character's affectations, which felt too similar to the way the actor had played another role (in Solaris). But after awhile he grew on me and became one of my favorites.

I'd hoped he would save his love, too.

BTW, couldn't he have surmised that the nuke was buried directly below where it had been before? It is not as if Alpert and his Others would have carried a leaking nuke around in the jungle. They'd have dug a ditch directly below it and lowered it in.

I suppose he had other things to discuss with his mother. But the bomb location was not something he needed to ask them about.

13. Will_B

Will_B Producer

At this point, Alpert must be feeling like the neighborhood's target in a never-ending game of ding-dong-ditch. Always a crazy time traveler walking into his camp...

Alpert is still the best at appearing casual even when a gun is aimed at him (swinging a mug of coffee around nonchalantly), but at this point he must be sick of having to do it! He needs a fence.

14. Derek_J

Maybe Daniel just mentioned the nuke hoping Batmanuel and company would remember him.

15. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Producer

Josh Dial
    Is there any chance that entire show is predicated on a plot similar to that of the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "Cause and Effect?" Here's the wiki link from memory alpha:

Cause and Effect (episode) - Memory Alpha, the Star Trek Wiki

I won't bother detailing the episode, so as to avoid TNG spoilers (it's a short read, should you not care about spoiling a TNG episode).

A quick summary: is the island stuck in a causality loop--one that lasts 30+ years? Perhaps Daniel has figured out a way to send a message to himself through the loops (his notebook, perhaps? The numbers?), just like on the TNG episode?

EDIT: here's the link to a scene from the episode (at around 7:20), where Geordi explains what is happening in the episode. I'm not saying it's exactly the same for LOST, but it certainly has promise in my opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK5rt...eature=related

Here's the link to the next part of the scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzNsU...eature=related

Start at 7:20 in the first link, and then watch the first few mins of the second link, to see what I'm getting at.

16. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

If it is, they'd still have needed more than the three of them to move it because it's probably at least the height of two men.

17. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

Thi

Don't forget what she wrote to him in the book she gave him, how he has to always remember that she loves him.

~T

18. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

Thi

I think it got to the point where it was hard for her to listen to her son playing, because of the emotions she would feel from hearing it. It seem she tried to detach herself from him as much as possible.

~T

19. Derek_J

Presumably she quickly gave up trying to stop him from playing.

20. Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper Cinematographer

Just re-watched the episode again, and noticed a few things

Juliet gives out the fence code to Faraday, Jack and Kate at the meeting only after seeing Sawyer trying to convince Kate to join them at the beach. Her whole demeanor changes at this instant and she is visibly concerned about Sawyer possibly having feelings still for Kate. This is further shown in the scene where they are packing and Sawyer asks her "Do you have my back?", to which she replies "Do you have mine?".

Faraday did not ask for a gun when they were going to meet the others. Kate hands him a rifle, which he looks at with a confused look. He then hands it back to her, and says "Do you have anything for a beginner?"