What's new

Lost In Space Season II RUMOR (1 Viewer)

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

Ron, while this may be true, it doesn't explain how come 20th Century Fox has less confidence in the U.S. fan base of Lost In Space, than the British releasing company has in the British fan base for the show, since they are about to release the complete season 2 set in England as just 1 complete set. I mean, what's the thinking here, that fans in the U.S. don't care about LIS as much as they do in England? I don't get it.

Carlos.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Carlos,

I am still hoping for further respoinse from
Peter, but I imagine it to be a simple case of
the title selling much better over there than it
is here.

Deb Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
I know that some UK retailers have already started listing LIS in a single package for season 2, but I can tell you from experience it's not uncommon for a listing like that to change later on into two packages. Or for the listing to be pulled at a later date and rescheduled. So I wouldn't read anything insidious into the fact that UK is still listing season 2 as a single package - that could change at any time.

Me, I'm happy having the first season, as that's my favorite season. But I am certainly planning to purchase seasons 2 and 3 *when* they are released, single boxes or multiple boxes.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I've been pretty open-minded about the "two volumes" approach so far, and I will continue to be... but I have to admit, that British Box Set of the Complete Second Season looks mighty juicy. I have to echo what Carlos has said, though ... I don't get it, either. I recall scratching my head years ago when I went into a Virgin Megastore and saw Japanese laserdiscs of all three seasons as imports, while we were lucky to get a handful of First Season episodes issued here at "home". Kind of disheartening....

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
My favorite season of Lost In Space is season 3 and what really worries me is that now, not only do we have to hope season 2 set 1 is a hit, but also set 2...in order to eventually see a season 3 set. I know they are committed to releasing both sets of season 2, however, now we have to rely on sales of both the season 2 sets to be a hit or Lost In Space season 3 may go the route of Mary Tyler Moore Show seasons 2-7 :frowning:

Anthony D

Grip
Hi all,

Can I make another comparison? Carlton (a UK company) owns the rights to many Gerry Anderson series (creator of Thunderbirds, Space:1999, UFO amongst many other TV series). A&E is the Region 1 licensee for these products.

A few months ago, A&E released a Supermarionation ("puppet") series entitled 'Secret Service'. This series was NEVER (to the best of my knowledge) broadcast in the US. Now, why would A&E, Region 1 rights holder, release an unknown series into the Region 1 market whereas the company that owns the title did NOT (as far as I know) release it in its country of origin? My "gut" feeling is that A&E has an ironclad agreement with Carlton to release any and all material that is presented to them by Carlton. So, if they wanted to release popular series like Space:1999, UFO and Thunderbirds, then they had to release less popular series such as 'Secret Service'. (AGAIN, total speculaton on my part but the only thing that makes sense to me)

I'm thinking that Fox is in a similar situation -- its overseas licensees signed agreements and in order to re-coup SOME cash they are releasing the material whether or not it sells (more than likely though the stuff is selling fairly well overseas). As the owner, Fox doesn't have this problem -- item 'A' doesn't sell? Then item 'B' isn't released.

Again, pure speculation on my part, but just trying to give an alternate theory on why these things happen.

paul_austin

Second Unit
while dissapointed that it wont be one box...i just happy season 2 is getting a release. Nothing would suck more than not having the rest on DVD

Mike K

Agent
You know , I have never heard it mentioned anywhere by anyone that LIS Season 3 release is dependent on the sales of Season 2.

In fact , what I have heard before was that Fox had on their schedule , Season 3 release approximately 6 months after the Season 2 release.

Back when Ron hosted a Chat with Peter Staddon (Jan 2004) folks voiced concern that a season 3 release might be dependent upon Season 2 sales , just as Season 2 was said to be dependent upon Season 1 sales, and that was a major concern because even to "Die-hard" LIS fans - Season 2 is not very attractive episode-wise.

At the time Peter said they were not commenting on future releases of LIS until they got in results of Season 1 sales.

So hopefully , they are (still) aware that Season 2 sales most likely are going to be less than season 1 - solely because Season 2 is the least favorite of LIS Fans on a whole, and I personally HOPE they take that into consideration when contemplating releasing Season 3 and do not just count sales numbers.

IF Peter Staddon is still listening to this thread - I would really really really love to hear his thoughts/comments on this.

It would be greatly appreciated! Perhaps it could also put a lot of fans minds at ease to know his position on Season 3 - no matter which way it is ,he says , a season 3 release is to be determined. :emoji_thumbsup:

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Hey what season was my favorite episode in, the one where the Robot Develops a Heart (Valve) problem and grows as big as a house? Then Dr. Smith and Will have to go inside him. I Love that show.

Mike K

Agent
"Trip Through The Robot" Season 2.

5th from last, in air date, of Season 2 .... that means you'll have to wait for Volume 2 of Season 2 to view it, most likely.

JulianK

Supporting Actor
I hope for the sake of all you Lost in Space fans that Fox don't end up shafting you in the same way they've shafted fans of NYPD Blue.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Isn't there supposed to be a new LOST IN SPACE show later this year? Don't get me wrong for a second -- I couldn't care less about it, and I'm still moaning: "oh, the pain... the pain" from that God-Awful LIS movie from the '90s -- but if it's somewhat successful to newbies, maybe it could help us get the old series out for certain.

paul_austin

Second Unit
I didnt mind the movie so much....my main complaint was that they should have gotten Bill Mummy to play grown up Will.....that would have just kicked so much ass.

Deb Walsh

Stunt Coordinator

Alas, Bill Mumy wanted more money than the film's producers were willing to pay. At the time, his star was on the ascendant with Bablyon 5 and such (Space Cases might also have still been on the air at the time). It's unfortunate, as the cameos by the original cast were pretty cool. Mark Goddard's was especially surprising - does he have a portrait in the attic? And he really looks that good in person, too - I saw him a year or so later at a convention, and he looked amazing.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
The WB Network passed on the LOST IN SPACE pilot, as well as the new DARK SHADOWS pilot, instead adding more stupid "reality" shows to their schedule.

Maybe the pilots will be released on DVD so fans can see what might have been....but the series are NOT happening.

Deb Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
Bummer. I was actually curious to see how that would pan out. And maybe the fact that there won't be another series to piggyback marketing on is a factor in Fox's decision to go with two halves for second season.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Other than the possibility of renewing interest in the old LIS, I'm glad the new series is a bust. We don't need it.

I'm surprised to hear that some LIS diehards actually liked the LIS movie. IMO, it was everything the original show was not -- beginning with a typically dysfunctional family of the 1990's, which the Robinsons never were...

JulianK

Supporting Actor
Menu screens from the Region 2 Season 2 set are available at Zeta Minor

I have the R2 discs here, so if anyone has any specific queries about their content, let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks