What's new

Linda Ronstadt, "What's New", first thoughts (1 Viewer)

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
Like Al, I own the LPs, tapes I made from the LPs, the CDs, and now the 1st (hopefully the other 2 will follow) DVD-A.
These were exceptionally well made recordings in the beginning. Maybe if I were younger I would be able to hear an astounding improvement, going from LP to CD to DVD-A, but to me, the improvement is only incremental.
Damn, I wish I had my dog's ears. :)

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
My only complaint about the recording itself: why is Linda's voice so dang LOUD? It nearly smothers the beautiful backing orchestra. It's this way on my LP too.
A big band dvd-audio I have been wanting to buy is "Session #55" by Les Brown and His Band of Renown. I heard one track on a DTS sampler I owned and it was fantastic--those horns were awesome to hear! This kind of big band music is anything but elevator music, and if you ever get to hear one in person you'll never forget it (I have, at Seattle's Pacific Center?, right under the Space Needle). I kept waiting for a brick/mortar store to carry it, but I guess I'll have to order it from DTS itself. Here's a full review of this album.
LJ

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Lance,

I don't find that the lead vocal drowns out the orchestra in my system.

Have you checked levels on the DVD-A analog output?

Regards,

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
It doesn't exactly drown them out, but I guess her voice is too loud for ME.
As far as the dvd-audio levels: that's not an option.....because I don't have a dvd-audio player! And my HT system doesn't even have a center channel so............
BTW: my dvd-audio player should be here by Tuesday. And for awhile I'll only be able to listen to the stereo tracks (no sub either, though I have an old-but-working Pioneer receiver, and resale shops always seem to have some old speakers real cheap--hmmmm).
LJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks