What's new

Least Likely to Ever See the Light of Day Again (1 Viewer)

jperez

Second Unit
Real Name
jorge perez
One thing that maybe hasn't been explored by companies that deal with classic TV reissues when they're having problems getting all the episodes from particular series is trying to get the episodes originally dubbed into Spanish for the Latin American market. Obviously there should be lots of them, because even now there are many Spanish episodes of series like Combat!, High Chaparral, The Invaders, The Saint, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Wanted Dead or Alive and The Persuaders on You Tube. Granted these are well known sucessful series, but I've also seen intros or short sections of less popular shows, leaving open the p[ossibility that there are full episodes available.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
One thing that maybe hasn't been explored by companies that deal with classic TV reissues when they're having problems getting all the episodes from particular series is trying to get the episodes originally dubbed into Spanish for the Latin American market. Obviously there should be lots of them, because even now there are many Spanish episodes of series like Combat!, High Chaparral, The Invaders, The Saint, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Wanted Dead or Alive and The Persuaders on You Tube. Granted these are well known sucessful series, but I've also seen intros or short sections of less popular shows, leaving open the p[ossibility that there are full episodes available.

Not really a bad idea for shows missing a couple of episodes here and there, allowing the company to release a complete run. However the real problem at this stage, is to get the companies interested in releasing the shows at all, other than reissues of already released series .

ABaglivi

Second Unit
Real Name
Anthony
Life With Father (1953-1955) is probably also locked away in the CBS vaults. I am told it was syndicated on film.

John Karras

Second Unit
Real Name
Lawrence
ABaglivi said:
Life With Father (1953-1955) is probably also locked away in the CBS vaults. I am told it was syndicated on film.
I'm not confident there are many of these around. The show was broadcast live, and CBS routinely disposed of kinescopes back then due to space considerations. This is why there are so few episodes that survived from that early CBS live era ("Mama", "The Goldbergs", "Life With Father", "Life With Luigi", "Meet Millie", "My Friend Irma" etc.)

ABaglivi

Second Unit
Real Name
Anthony
On Life With Father, I owned an original 16mm network print of one episode. It was not a kinescope. Over the years, I have seen others available, usually at high prices.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
CTVA.biz, lists LIFE WITH FATHER, as having 27 filmed b&w episodes for the second season. The first season was broadcast live and in color. Who could receive it, in color, back then? I researched this before and could not find out how many live episodes were broadcast. At first I did not remember this show, but now I do have a dim memory of seeing the filmed episodes on daytime TV reruns when I was a child.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
I would love a company to secure rights to spin offs of various shows that have sold well and would probably sell fairly well once the 'mother show' had finished.

And I really, sadly don't think these shows will ever be released - Sanford, Grady (Sanford and Son spin offs), Brady Brides, Young Maverick. I doubt I will ever see these and I would REALLY like to have them for my collection!!

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
bretmaverick2 said:
I would love a company to secure rights to spin offs of various shows that have sold well and would probably sell fairly well once the 'mother show' had finished.

And I really, sadly don't think these shows will ever be released - Sanford, Grady (Sanford and Son spin offs), Brady Brides, Young Maverick. I doubt I will ever see these and I would REALLY like to have them for my collection!!
Add in Three's a Crowd and The Ropers to that list!

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
One program that will probably never air again is the classic cooking series The Galloping Gourmet, last time it aired was on Cooking Channel back in 2009. The series was only released on DVD in Japan of all places. I know Graham Kerr has moved on from his Galloping days to a healthier cooking lifestyle, but still if Julia Child got released then why not him?

I don't know who actually owns the series in order to get a US/Canada release, maybe Graham owns the entire series completely or it could be between CJOH (the station that produced and syndicated it.) and FremantleMedia since the company does appear at the end of each episode.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
AndyMcKinney said:
At least those two have gotten exposure on MeTV of late, so there is, at least, a set of digital masters around for those.
I wish we had a real ME-TV. They go into classic TV mode during the late night, part of the afternoon and part of the morning. The prime time slot is the local CW and then they also re-air another station's news programs on the channel. Grrr....

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Radioman970 said:
I wish they'd let us burn our own discs of at least some things. I don't like not actually having the thing I bought. After amazon's thing they did recently, I won't be buying anything else that isn't in my home physical. It's more like a rent than a purchase.
Exactly! I don't understand why there isn't a legal way to pay a bit more for the right to burn one's purchase onto disc. The Amazon site allows you to load a program onto, say, a Tivo and save it. I would be far more comfortable with a burned physical product, even a BDR for some things. Many HD movies they sell, like Story of Ruth, for example, will never see an official blu-ray release.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
bretmaverick2 said:

What's Happening Now was released and didn't sell well enough to go beyond the first season. Can't really think of any other spinoff series that came out but the reason is that they wouldn't sell. Other than the few diehard fans, people aren't clamoring for After MASH or Gloria or any of the Brady or Sanford spinoffs.

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
AndyMcKinney said:
At least those two have gotten exposure on MeTV of late, so there is, at least, a set of digital masters around for those.

However, The Ropers has the dreaded "Film Look". Surprised nobody has brought this up.

John Karras

Second Unit
Real Name
Lawrence
Vahan_Nisanain said:
However, The Ropers has the dreaded "Film Look". Surprised nobody has brought this up.
The Ropers didn't have the dreaded film look when it was ran on Antenna TV. The film look phenomena starts occurring when the compression and bit rates drop below a magic number. How much compression individual stations assign to their digital sub-channels determines the final product which can be brutal for content shot on tape. Another factor that is going to make things worse is that ME-TV and several others are dropping their satellite feed delivery to affiliates in favor of internet streaming feeds as a cost saving measure.

Another example of how the once-promising digital age is being manipulated to result in a product 10 times poorer than analog ever was.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Anyone know the present status of Adventures in Paradise? I guess that's my most wanted and, sadly, my least likely ever to be seen. Rights issues with the Michener heirs seems to be the main roadblock, so I've heard. Still, Dobie Gillis finally made it when the Shulman kids capitulated. Rumor is that there are film originals of most or all episodes, A pretty dreadful boot set is out there, which I would rather avoid.

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
Ed Lachmann said:
Anyone know the present status of Adventures in Paradise? I guess that's my most wanted and, sadly, my least likely ever to be seen. Rights issues with the Michener heirs seems to be the main roadblock, so I've heard.

AIP will never get completed, because the show itself is owned by Fox. They couldn't give two s-bombs about their pre-1990 library.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Vahan_Nisanain said:

I never noticed it. Either I saw it on Antenna (after seeing a few of them on WGN before), or my MeTV doesn't do this. Looked just like videotape to me (though just as compressed as anything I ever saw on Dish Network).

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
AndyMcKinney said:
I never noticed it. Either I saw it on Antenna (after seeing a few of them on WGN before), or my MeTV doesn't do this. Looked just like videotape to me (though just as compressed as anything I ever saw on Dish Network).

I noticed this on Antenna TV airings of that show a few weeks ago. I get Antenna TV from KTLA.

All the other videotaped shows on Antenna TV are fine, though, and have the typical smooth and fluid motion of videotape. The Ropers is the only videotaped show that has the "film look".

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
AIP will never get completed, because the show itself is owned by Fox. They couldn't give two s-bombs about their pre-1990 library.
Or the majority of their 90s library, except for a select few titles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks