What's new

Rarest sitcoms of the 60s (1 Viewer)

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
How rare is Ichabod and Me?
I've seen a pair of episodes on a now-defunct website, tv4u.com., one of them had a guest appearance by Mr. Twilight Zone, Rod Serling!

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
JoeDoakes said:
So which few of these would you say are the best?

Without having seen too many of any of them, I would have to say that the two I find the most watchable are Mickey, with Sammee Tong playing the same wise-cracking old coot like on Bachelor Father, and Karen, only because Debbie Watson was really cute and adorable, although the show itself was nothing special.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Inner Sanctum from 1954. I know it's not from the 60's, but hey. When I read the review on IMDB, that's exactly how old I was when I watched it and it scared me too! I had forgotten about that show. I'll check to see if there's an episode over on You Tube.

Found ne and that's exactly how I remembered it. That opening scared me silly and I have no recollection on any of the stories.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Neil Brock said:
Not the color Blondie with Will Hutchins and Patricia Harty. You're thinking of the black and white 50s version. The color one has never been re-aired.

Does this even still exist - word is CBS is the rights holder, and they don't have any elements. King Features doesn't hold anything either.

Bruce Lee's guest spot is his only American Television appearance not to surface and documentary makers have been looking for it for years.

Heck, even Will Hutchins hasn't seen an episode since he made it!

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Ron1973 said:
My friends with The British Phil Silvers Appreciation Society said The New Phil Silvers Show is a possibility for DVD
I would love this. I've never seen it

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Frank Soyke said:
I would love this. I've never seen it
Same here, Frank. They're the ones who pushed Shout! in the US and Medium Rare in the UK to release the first series. If Mick and Steve say this one is a possibility, I hold that in high regard.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Harris Against The World, Tom, Dick and Mary and Karen were the three parts of a sort of trilogy sitcom experiment called 90 Bristol Court and I remember all three of them fondly. I'd jump on these if any became available.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
DeWilson said:
Does this even still exist - word is CBS is the rights holder, and they don't have any elements. King Features doesn't hold anything either.

Bruce Lee's guest spot is his only American Television appearance not to surface and documentary makers have been looking for it for years.

Heck, even Will Hutchins hasn't seen an episode since he made it!

Never confirmed it but I seem to recall that the show somehow may have wound up in the Universal vaults.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
oldtvshowbuff said:
Let's add another two to the list, both from 65-66 .

Tammy

Mister Roberts

Mister Roberts is not that uncommon on film. I have a good portion of the series from 16mm prints that have floated around for years.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Neil,
Your list is pretty comprehensive . I can only think of one other 60's show "Happy" 1961-62 with Ronnie Burns , and Yvonne Lime. There are 4 episodes "out there".
There are a few "1950s " show that are extremely rare. "The Brothers" with Gale Gordon (does anything survive ?), "Charlie Farrell Show" (1 0r 2 episodes ), and "Meet Millie" with Elena Verdugo (maybe one episode ).
Yvonne Lime turned 85 yesterday April 7th. Happy Birthday, Yvonne!

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
For this category, a show that has not re-aired anywhere in the taping era and also that there are few if any copies in collectors hands from 16mm film.

Harris Against The World

Tom, Dick and Mary

Karen

The Tycoon

Father of the Bride

The Tab Hunter Show

Harrigan and Son

Bringing Up Buddy

One Happy Family

Holiday Lodge

Oh Those Bells

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

Our Man Higgins

Fair Exchange

Don't Call Me Charlie

Harry's Girls

The New Phil Silvers Show

Mickey

Many Happy Returns

The Cara Williams Show

The John Forsythe Show

Mona McCluskey

The Jean Arthur Show

The Hero

Rango

The Ugliest Girl In Town

Blondie

The Queen and I

Mr. Deeds Goes To Town
Hi Neil,
That show Karen would be an interesting one to see. I like The Beach Boys doing the theme song at the beginning. I understand there are only a couple episodes available anywhere now. I am just wondering if you have any in your own collection. Thanks.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Harris Against The World, Tom, Dick and Mary and Karen were the three parts of a sort of trilogy sitcom experiment called 90 Bristol Court and I remember all three of them fondly. I'd jump on these if any became available.
Me too. Karen for sure.

PianoPlayer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Larry
My World And Welcome To It.

There's lots of love for this one-season wonder. Why no DVDs or streaming of it?

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
For this category, a show that has not re-aired anywhere in the taping era and also that there are few if any copies in collectors hands from 16mm film.

Harris Against The World

Tom, Dick and Mary

Karen

The Tycoon

Father of the Bride

The Tab Hunter Show

Harrigan and Son

Bringing Up Buddy

One Happy Family

Holiday Lodge

Oh Those Bells

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

Our Man Higgins

Fair Exchange

Don't Call Me Charlie

Harry's Girls

The New Phil Silvers Show

Mickey

Many Happy Returns

The Cara Williams Show

The John Forsythe Show

Mona McCluskey

The Jean Arthur Show

The Hero

Rango

The Ugliest Girl In Town

Blondie

The Queen and I

Mr. Deeds Goes To Town
I can add another one.. Run, Buddy, Run.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Didn't William Windon win an Emmy for "My World and Welcome to It," win an Emmy? I heard that the Network realized they made a mistake in cancelling it, but at that point it was too late to get the cast back.

It really should be out on DVD? There are some tv shows from the sixties that I hope, by some miracle still make it out on DVD. Like He and She, Occasional Wife, Love on a Rooftop, Mr, Terrific, etc.

--james

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.