Rarest sitcoms of the 60s

Neil Brock

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
I was collecting heavy in the 90s and was only able to find 2 eps of Baileys of Balboa in circulation with collectors and the quality was complete garbage. If half the run was around, they weren’t common with most collectors.
I have around half the episodes. All I can say, a little Baileys goes a long way.

MartinP.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Martin
"Apple's Way" was also a spinoff of "The Waltons," I believe. It was very short-lived, at any rate.
CHEERS! :)

i don't think it was a spinoff. It was contemporary (1970's). I remember watching it doing laundry on Sunday nights when I was in college.

Reactions: Jack K

Tom.W

Stunt Coordinator
The Wackiest Ship in the Army. Few if any episodes made the collectors' market that I'm aware of.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
What about the "Ann Southern Show" ??
I've seen it in syndicated reruns in the Minneapolis-St .Paul, MN viewing area in the mid-1980's on WTCN (later WUSA for a year, then KARE) the NBC affiliate in the early morning hours. The same could be said for Private Secretary, for both series were distributed by Metromedia Producers Corporation. Metromedia owned the station at the time, later sold to Gannett, which eventually spun off a holding company called Tegna.

dstrong

Agent
Real Name
Damon
I've seen it in syndicated reruns in the Minneapolis-St .Paul, MN viewing area in the mid-1980's on WTCN (later WUSA for a year, then KARE) the NBC affiliate in the early morning hours. The same could be said for Private Secretary, for both series were distributed by Metromedia Producers Corporation. Metromedia owned the station at the time, later sold to Gannett, which eventually spun off a holding company called Tegna.

The Ann Sothern Show was shown on Nick At Night back in the late 1980s under the title "Susie".

Joe Lugoff

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
It was Ann Sothern's first sitcom, "Private Secretary" (1953-57) that was syndicated as "Susie." Her second sitcom was "The Ann Sothern Show" (1958-61).

She was asked to replace Vivian Vance on "The Lucy Show" but demanded co-star billing with Lucy, so that didn't work out (although she appeared in several episodes). She was the voice of the car in "My Mother, the Car," which suggests she was getting desperate. She was who they wanted to co-star with Eve Arden in "The Mothers-in-Law," but she demanded top billing over Eve, and they couldn't work things out, so they settled on Kaye Ballard, who was pretty bad.

Reactions: AlanP

MartinP.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Martin
^^^

I'd never heard any of that, but I disagree, and I wouldn't say "settled". I liked Eve Arden and Kaye Ballard together. I doubt I'd have liked Eve Arden and Ann Sothern together. I have that Mothers-in-Law DVD set...the scripts are mostly pretty lackluster, to be nice.

On the DVD set it's explained why Roger C. Carmel was replaced with Richard Deacon in the second season. The cast was guaranteed their same salaries if the show went to a second season. As part of the renewal, the cast was asked to take a pay cut in order for the show to continue. Three of them said yes, Carmel said, "Screw you," and quit.

Rob_Ray

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I always heard that Ann Sothern was replaced by Kaye Ballard because it was felt there wasn't enough contrast between Eve Arden and Ann Sothern, which is true. I thought Kaye Ballard was brilliant in The Mothers-in-Law and played very well off of Eve Arden. The two certainly worked hard to rise above the often mediocre material, and largely succeeded.

MartinP.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Martin
THE HERO premiered the same night as STAR TREK, right after it, in fact.

View attachment 73748
For reasons that make no sense, I've often confused The Hero with being the show Juliet Prowse was on a season earlier, Mona McCluskey. Why, I don't know, it does not compute. Herbert Rudley (The Mothers-in-Law) and Denny Miller were regulars on that series. Sal Mineo was a guest star. Has that show ever been seen since 1965-66?

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
settonconsulting