What's new

Klipsch, Velodyne, or SVS sub help (1 Viewer)

Anthony_C

Agent
Well it's hard to beleive, but my Infinity BU-120 sub went kaput on me, LMAO. It's time to get another sub, but i'm in a decision rut and I need some help. I have narrowed my choices down to three subs based on price and frequency response. My three choices are the Velodyne DPS-12 which is $499, and is rated down to 25hz, the Klipsch Synergy Sub-12 which is also $499 and rated down to 25hz, and the SVS 25-31PCi which is $549 plus shipping and is tuned to 25hz.

I'm having a hard time justifying the extra $50 bucks + shipping for the SVS when the other two are very reputable subs that should perform pretty close to the SVS. I have heard the Klipsch and Velodyne but not the SVS. Currently, I am leaning towrds the Klipsch. If anyone has had any experience with any or all of these subs, please voice your opinions. Any of the three will be an definite upgrade to the Infinity I had.

Thanks in advance,
Anthony

I Am part of the klipsch forum, and i have heard some pretty rave reviews about the new synergy subs from klipsch, for the price. this coming from a community that loves their klipsch, and still most want svs subs.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
I recently replaced an older Klipsch sub with an SVS and there is a substantial difference. The Klipsch is loud and the SVS is deep (and cleaner). I always thought my Klipsch was a pretty good sub but there is no comparison between the two.

Mort

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The SVS PB-10 is $429 and is rated down to 18Hz. Sounds like a no brainer to me (depending on the size of your room). Low end extension does not tell you the whole story, because that doesn't tell you how it will perform in your room.

The 25-31 can move a LOT of air, and I was quite impressed by it. I own a PB-10 and I am still impressed, and often surprised, by it as well.

VinhT

Second Unit
I have no doubt that the Klipsch will be extremely loud, but I am skeptical of its low frequency extension. Of the two retail choices, I feel the Velodyne would be the safer buy. However, the performance disparity between the SVS and the other two contenders is significant. As implied by Mr. Garcia, a comparison against the PB10-ISD might make for a more level playing field.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
That Velo you have with the link was looked at I believe it was either last months HT mag or the month before. Of course they did not have an SVS to compare it to because SVS won't spend lot's of money with their magazine in advertising. Anyway it got just an ok recomendation and thats it. Go with the SVS. I have had a Velo, Dual NHT 12"ers and my PB2+ now the pb12/2+ultra beat them all by not a even a close margin. I have a medium sized family room about 35'X18' and have never had the gain over 1/2 and love it. For the money you just can't beat it...
My opinion of course but its your money...

Gary.Z

Auditioning
I have the new Velodyne DLS 5000R and I am totally satisfied with it.....One of the best bang for the buck's out there.

Anthony_C

Agent
First off, thanks for the responses. After reading everyones response, you've got me thinking, maybe I am looking at my choices the wrong way. A few things that I should have stated earlier. My room size is 12x18, and we can't listen to the HT very loud, so loudness is not a factor, and my budget is around $500 or less, and we use it for %90/%10 movie/music. The only reason I choose a 12" sub, is because Infinity was a 12", and we loved the way it sounded, so I thought we should go back with another 12" sub. If I can get by with a good 10" and still get good response at a cheaper price then that would be even better. Does anyone have recomendations for that price and room size?

Thanks again.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
If the lack of a crossover is not a problem for you, the SVS PB10-ISD is a great performer.

Another good choice right now is the Outlaw LFM-1. Outlaw has some B Stock units for $399. This sub was designed by Dr. Hsu of Hsu Subwoofers. These units usually go for $579 but the B Stock have a cosmetic flaw. I can't quite picture the cosmetic flaw, but a lot of people are snapping these B Stock units up for $399.

Comparing the SVS PB10 to the Outlaw LFM-1, the SVS will give considerably more from 18Hz-30HZ the Outlaw will give a bit more from 30 to 80Hz. The Outlaw also has a crossover.

www.outlawaudio.com

Anthony_C

Agent
Ya I was looking at the SVS PB-10, but I didn't notice that it didn't have a crossover. That really shouldn't matter because I can set the crossover on my Onkyo to 80-100hz for the mains and have everything below that sent to the sub right? So the SVS PB-10 should perform equal or probably better than any of the 12" subs I mentioned?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks