Los Angeles SVS owners................................

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by TayLi, Mar 16, 2004.

1. TayLi

TayLi Auditioning

Hi, everyone. Just want to say the many informative reviews have helped a ton in deciding on my first Home Theater setup and I now need glasses, J/K. New to HTF as well as HT so please be kind towards my ignorance.

After auditioning the JBL S38II's, S CenterII along with the Yamaha RX-V1400, I picked them up today [​IMG] . As far as the sub goes, I think its pretty much a no contest on which sub the majority favors here, SVS. All the hype about it made me want to order right away, but after taking a couple of deep breaths I continued the research and learned that although these subs seem to be a good bargain, it's not chump change either. Which is what sparked this thread. I've auditioned many subs in the last couple months; Klipsch, Velodyne, JBL, Infinity etc...
    Long story short, I've narrowed it down to the PB2-ISD but I just can't bring myself to spend $1,000 on something I can't listen to. So If I may kindly ask upon any SVS owners in the Los Angeles area to allow me the chance to auditon these "bad boys."

Another quick question, I have ceramic tiles on top of a concrete slab. It is the basement of a 2 story house. How will this effect the sound as I've noticed there is a tiny amount of echoing. The HT room is 26x13x7 1/2 with an opening into a 42inch by 17ft long hallway.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Let the wisdom train begin..........

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Hello and welcome. I do not live in LA, nor do I own an SVS (yet!), but I thought I'd chime in about your room. If you have no other type of floor covering you will definitely want to get a rug of some sort that covers a fairly large portion of the room. This is not just for the sub, but for the sound quality of your system in general. At low volumes it may be OK, but at slightly higher volumes it will be an acoustical nightmare.

3. terence

terence Supporting Actor

You have too many hard surfaces that cause reflections or echo, you need to look into trying to damping the room. Start off with a large area rug in your room, others here will be able to add more info on this subject.

4. John Tami

John Tami Stunt Coordinator

Tayli...first off know that where SVS really shines...you cant really hear anything! [​IMG] What I mean...actually they have have wonderful bass in the regions you can hear...quick enough for any music...but it's the low levels that you feel (where most mass-market subs fall off rapidlly in DB's and or get boomy or even crunchy sounding and they bottom out) that the SVS really stand out. (along with a few other top subs) I've had mine for 2 weeks almost...thrown SACD's, DTS DVD's, HD dolby sources at it....my 5 year olds favorite saying now is "I felt that!"....My 12 & 14 yr olds just go whoa! (and they're in another room)And the 2yr old just hops up and down like 2yr olds do! [​IMG] Every Window in the house will shake, Every piece of China will shake, Your pantlegs and chest hair will move! And you'll have this stupid looking bass generated grin on your face whenever it happens! [​IMG] (you'll go searching out cool new bass tracks...tell the the wife about them...she'll just nod thats nice dear..LOL!)

SVS has a 45 Day return policy. I think the only time it gets used is when owners decide they want a even more, cause by the 10th day they are seriously addicted!

Open Windows Paint, draw your room. Include all funiture, windows, fireplace, openings like hallways/adjoining rooms, speaker placement....save as a .jpg...email it to [email protected] He will ask you a few questions like what you like to listens to/watch and what your listening levels are. He more often then not undersells what the buyer thought he/she needed.

Know that you have to take time to set it up...a SPL meter is a must. A few weeks of fiddling is possible, every room is different.

I purchased one sight and hearing unseen....reviews at places like all the forums and audioreview.com sold me. I wanted a sub that I would never feel sorry about getting. And I did.

You can try to go find one to listen too...but in reality your just losing days when you might be listening to one in your own home!

5. TayLi

TayLi Auditioning

Thanks for the replies so far guys. As far as dampening the room goes, I would like to put a large rug but because I have 3 english bulldogs that shed everyday of the year, it would not be a good idea. That was why I decided to go with tile flooring to begin with. That and the fact that I have a standard pool table in the center of the room. This HT is actually in a bar environment where guests and myself will be on bar stools.

Any other way to "dampen" the room?

Thanks and please keep them coming........

6. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

If I were you I would seriously consider purchasing "real" acoustical treatment since you can't treat the floor. Usually people can get good enough sound by having carpet and heavy curtains, but in your situation I think I would start looking for clever ways to fit acoustical treatments into the decor. Also, if you have a drop ceiling, consider acoustically treated ceiling tiles to help slow the sound waves bouncing off the floor.