What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (13 Viewers)

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Three of the sixteen UHD titles we acquired were not originally titles we had targeted, at least not as 4K releases, but we decided to acquire them once we knew the films were already restored in HDR/Dolby Vision by the studio, Indecent Proposal was one of these titles, the other two will be announced soon.

While I don't care for Indecent Proposal (I don't expect everything from Kino to be something I'll like or want), I'll be interested to see what other titles of Paramount's you'll be bringing out in 4K. And hoping that they'll be from quality masters (Paramount tends to be a mixed bag where that's concerned).

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I never saw this one that I can remember, and you'd think with these guys I would remember. You had me at Eli Wallach, Terence Hill and Bud Spencer. Of course the Trinity series was my first exposure to Terence and Buds great personas. Add in Eli and with decent writing...it's gotta be fun!!!
This film hit 42nd Street theaters a few years before the TRINITY series, and was my first introduction to the duo of Hill and Spencer. At that point, in the late 60's, grindhouses were inundated with spaghetti westerns, but this one stood out. While I like the TRINITY films, with the addition of Eli Wallach, it's even better. There's great interplay and one-upmanship between the three. And though it's been 50 years, my recollection is the film is more comic than violent, though there's lots of action and a plethora of double-crosses. Very well photographed and directed too.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Coming Soon!

PARAVISION DREAMS: THE GOLDEN AGE 3-D FILMS OF PINE AND THOMAS

This collection includes three classic 3-D films in glorious Technicolor. SANGAREE (1953) – Fernando Lamas stars as Dr. Carlos Morales, son of an indentured servant, who rises to power in the state of Georgia shortly after the Revolutionary War. Romance, political intrigue and a plague outbreak in Savannah highlight this lush historical drama. Co-starring Arlene Dahl and Patricia Medina. THOSE REDHEADS FROM SEATTLE (1953) – Four ruby-haired, golden-voiced young women arrive in Alaskan Gold Rush territory to help their father run his newspaper—only to find him murdered. The Klondike gets all fired up as these redheads get work at a salon and search for the killer. Starring Rhonda Fleming, Gene Barry and Agnes Moorehead. JIAVARO (1954) – Fernando Lamas and Rhonda Fleming team up for this romantic and thrilling adventure, also known as Lost Treasure of the Amazon. Alice Parker (Fleming) arrives at the Brazilian trading outpost of Rio Galdez (Lamas) in search of her fiancé (Richard Denning), an alcoholic engineer who has ventured into treacherous headhunter country on a quest for gold. Co-starring Brian Keith, Rita Moreno and Lon Chaney Jr. 3-D Restorations by 3-D Film Archive.

DISC 1: SANGAREE (1953)

Special Features:

• January 25, 1955 Lux Radio Theatre adaptation with Arlene Dahl and Cesar Romero
• Before/After Restoration Demo
• 3-D and 2-D Release Trailers

DISC 2: THOSE REDHEADS FROM SEATTLE (1953)

Special Features:

• Audio Commentary by Film Historians Hillary Hess, Greg Kintz, Jack Theakston and Bob Furmanek
• 2006 Interview with Rhonda Fleming
• Before/After Restoration Demo
• Theatrical Trailer

DISC 3: JIVARO (1954)

Special Features:

• Audio commentary with Mike Ballew, Hillary Hess, Greg Kintz and Jack Theakston
• JIVARO: A Shot by Shot Stereoscopic Analysis (8:24)
• Theatrical Trailer

View attachment 142050 I have these 3D films already and enjoy them. I whole hardly recommend these titles. 3D Film Archive performed excellent work on the titles and they are really fun. If you don't have them in your collection, think about adding them.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Saturday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming Soon on Blu-ray!

2018 HD Master by Paramount Pictures – From a 4K Scan of 35mm Original Camera Negative

The Counterfeit Traitor (1962)
Starring William Holden, Lilli Palmer, Hugh Griffith, Ingrid van Bergen, Wolfgang Preiss, Werner Peters, Erica Beer & Klaus Kinski – Shot by Jean Bourgoin (Black Orpheus, The Longest Day) – Music by Alfred Newman (Nevada Smith, Airport) – Written, Produced & Directed by George Seaton (Miracle on 34th Street, 36 Hours).

View attachment 142095
I saw this when it came out. I remember being extremely impressed by it as a 12 year old, especially LIlli Palmer's performance. I was expecting a WWII spy movie with lots of action, seeing as William Holden was in it, but it was much deeper and morally ambiguous, as well as gripping and emotionally involving. It took me to places I didn't anticipate. I also recall it looked amazing. Sold!

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Coming Soon on Blu-ray!

2018 HD Master by Paramount Pictures – From a 4K Scan of 35mm Original Camera Negative

The Counterfeit Traitor (1962)
Starring William Holden, Lilli Palmer, Hugh Griffith, Ingrid van Bergen, Wolfgang Preiss, Werner Peters, Erica Beer & Klaus Kinski – Shot by Jean Bourgoin (Black Orpheus, The Longest Day) – Music by Alfred Newman (Nevada Smith, Airport) – Written, Produced & Directed by George Seaton (Miracle on 34th Street, 36 Hours).

1655564451321.png
Looking forward to seeing The Counterfeit Traitor in KL's new Blu-ray! It's a long but suspenseful movie, filmed expansively on location In (West) Berlin, Hamburg, Stockholm and Copenhagen. The story is based on Eric 'Red' Ericson, a real-life hero, an American born Swedish national, who as an oil company executive of neutral Sweden, infiltrated the Nazi synthetic oil refining industry and gathered intelligence for the Allies, via MI6 and OSS.

I found this clipping in my home town newspaper (Google Newspaper Archive), just before The Counterfeit Traitor opened 60 years ago to the date! Fascinating background detail about William Holden's researching of his role with his historical subject, Eric Ericson...Lilli Palmer's character was also based on a real life heroine, Anne-Maria Freudenreich...(click on image to enlarge).
Counterfeit Traitor, Calgary Herald  June 23, 1962..JPG

Last edited:

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I'm curious as to why Paramount, having had this master since 2018, would not have put it on any streaming services as an upgrade to the wholly terrible DVD transfer. I'll wait for reports on this one - it's a film I really love.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm curious as to why Paramount, having had this master since 2018, would not have put it on any streaming services as an upgrade to the wholly terrible DVD transfer. I'll wait for reports on this one - it's a film I really love.
The iTunes HD digital has not been upgraded to that 2018 scan, like many other Paramount titles have been whether in 4K or much improved HD digital.

sultan of cinema

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
I Just purchased and watched the Imprint Counterfeit Traitor (not 4K or even 2K) blu for this film (always one of my favorites) and I'm happy to report this version looks like a print, much better than the DVD. I will bet that Kino will do it justice and that I will also have to purchase it again.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I have the Imprint blu ray of THE COUNTERFEIT TRAITOR. On the back it states "1080p high definition transfer by Paramount Pictures". It does look better than the iTunes HD version, but I was disappointed with the blu ray. I hope that the Kino version is much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks