Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The wallet denies what the heart desires! :D

The broader good news is a significant firmware update for the NP5 and NZ7/8/9. Doesn't help me directly but with a view towards NZ8 in a few years or whatever follows, this firmware might address the critiques against the current dynamic dimming, and elevate JVC even higher in HDR performance.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Thanks Ron.

Does JVC typically charge for major firmware updates? This particular one being highlighted as "free" seems to imply so. Also, the article says JVC offers "the only dynamic tone mapping solution in the premium projector category." I believe the new Sony X1 processor also offers dynamic tone mapping at a similar price point in their product line.

GeorgeHolland

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Ron.

Does JVC typically charge for major firmware updates? This particular one being highlighted as "free" seems to imply so. Also, the article says JVC offers "the only dynamic tone mapping solution in the premium projector category." I believe the new Sony X1 processor also offers dynamic tone mapping at a similar price point in their product line.

Not Ron but I have had a number of JVC projectors starting with the RS20, currently still have an RS500 and RS3100 and have never had to pay for a firmware update. I use a Lumagen and while JVC offers a very good DTM, I don't use it. Lumagen and madVR are still superior.

Sony may state they offer DTM but it is not true active DTM. Does Sony actually claim they have active dynamic TONE MAPPING? Sony doesn't analyze the picture frame by frame or scene by scene and make adjustments based on brightness etc. as far as I can find. Sony is more of a static tone mapping solution that makes an adjustment for a movie based on metadata provided, if accurate and available, and uses it for the entire movie. This would change based on how the movie was mastered. Someone more familiar with both projectors and with a better understanding of the different approaches would have to explain more clearly than I am able to.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Sony may state they offer DTM but it is not true active DTM. Does Sony actually claim they have active dynamic TONE MAPPING? Sony doesn't analyze the picture frame by frame or scene by scene and make adjustments based on brightness etc. as far as I can find.
They call it Dynamic HDR Enhancer. It sounds conceptually the same as what JVC is doing to me. I have no direct experience with either.

Since you are familiar with JVC's solution, would you say it warrants the price difference over, say the Epson LS12000? I ask because I'm currently about 6 months or so away from having to decide what will replace my current Epson 6050.

1664575919524.png

GeorgeHolland

Stunt Coordinator
They call it Dynamic HDR Enhancer. It sounds conceptually the same as what JVC is doing to me. I have no direct experience with either.

Since you are familiar with JVC's solution, would you say it warrants the price difference over, say the Epson LS12000? I ask because I'm currently about 6 months or so away from having to decide what will replace my current Epson 6050.

View attachment 155652

I have no experience with nor have I ever seen the Epson or Sony so can't offer much. I am sure they are all wonderful projectors. To get the most out of JVC projectors, the room needs to be as light controlled as possible. If not, the perceived advantages over Sony or Epson may not be realized.

There was a recent shoot out with demonstrations that included the Epson LS12000 and multiple Sony and JVC projectors. All manufacturer representatives were invited to attend but while Sony and JVC sent reps, Epson was not able to. Kris Deering, the calibrator JVC is having calibrate every DLA-25LTD purchased in the US, (possibly Canada?) calibrated all the projectors for the shoot out.

Marketing slides of what Sony advertises, or JVC for that matter, vs. a more granular description of how DTM is performed are not always the same as what we assume them to be.

Here is a link to a summary of the event.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

View attachment 155652
JVC NP5 gets lots of “Best Buy” comments from people at the TSR and such demos with only the compromise of being bulb instead of laser.

If the extra $2k is an obstacle, I’d look at the Epson.

If money isn’t an obstacle, get the NZ8. (Or the NZ9 :) )

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
JVC NP5 gets lots of “Best Buy” comments from people at the TSR and such demos with only the compromise of being bulb instead of laser.

If the extra $2k is an obstacle, I’d look at the Epson.

If money isn’t an obstacle, get the NZ8. (Or the NZ9 :) )
TSR? Not familiar with that.

One thing I'm not going to compromise on is the light source [as my next projector will likely be my last] so that means "entry-level" JVC for me would be the NZ7. While money isn't necessarily an obstacle it's always a factor. As I write this I realize I've seen lots of Epson projectors but only a single real-life JVC setup. I think my next assignment will be to remedy that. Given my limited sample size it's no wonder I'm having a hard time making a decision.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
TSR? Not familiar with that.

One thing I'm not going to compromise on is the light source [as my next projector will likely be my last] so that means "entry-level" JVC for me would be the NZ7. While money isn't necessarily an obstacle it's always a factor. As I write this I realize I've seen lots of Epson projectors but only a single real-life JVC setup. I think my next assignment will be to remedy that. Given my limited sample size it's no wonder I'm having a hard time making a decision.
Bulb isn’t worse than laser in terms of “quality”. Just bulbs dim faster. But can be replaced. Laser has a long lifetime, but isn’t affordably replaceable.

I’m not saying don’t get laser. I am saying I’d have bought an NP5 if I knew the relative fan noise was ok for my room.

But if you’re wanting to stay under $10k and can change a bulb every couple years, by all accounts the NP5 is great.

I’m guessing you’ve got a showroom or two in Atlanta to get some demos. Or maybe even give Audio Advice in Raleigh a call and see if they can give you a good demo at their shop.

If you were passing though DC region, I’d gladly have you over to show my (eventual) NX7 as a proxy for the newer models. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Another factor is screen size. I’m seeing reccos to hit 100 nits off screen for projector HDR. I’d need an NZ7 or NZ8 to do that in my theater.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Bulb isn’t worse than laser in terms of “quality”. Just bulbs dim faster. But can be replaced. Laser has a long lifetime, but isn’t affordably replaceable.

I’m not saying don’t get laser. I am saying I’d have bought an NP5 if I knew the relative fan noise was ok for my room.

But if you’re wanting to stay under $10k and can change a bulb every couple years, by all accounts the NP5 is great.

I’m guessing you’ve got a showroom or two in Atlanta to get some demos. Or maybe even give Audio Advice in Raleigh a call and see if they can give you a good demo at their shop.

If you were passing though DC region, I’d gladly have you over to show my (eventual) NX7 as a proxy for the newer models. :)
I agree. It's just that as I near full retirement I want my HT to be as bullet proof as possible. I figure a laser projector will be best towards that end but, you're right, replacing bulbs in my 6050 is a relative snap.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I agree. It's just that as I near full retirement I want my HT to be as bullet proof as possible. I figure a laser projector will be best towards that end but, you're right, replacing bulbs in my 6050 is a relative snap.
Sounds good. Hopefully you can find a demo that shows projectors in a room similar to yours. With the current options ranging over 6x from $4000 to $25,000, ideally you can get some real-world experience to make a decision and not have to buy solely from internet research. :)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I travelled about 50 miles to see a demo of the Epson LS12000 today at a "local" Best Buy Magnolia store. They were supposed to have the Sony 5000 and JVC NX5 on demo as well. The JVC was there but they couldn't get it to work with their switching system and the Sony had already been sold.

I did get to spend some time with the Epson. I could see definite [but not pronounced] improvements in overall dynamic range and smoothness but the black levels looked no better than my current 6050. I'm not saying they aren't better, only that they didn't jump out at me as such. While I still need to actually see a JVC [preferably the NZ7] I think I can regrettably confirm I would not consider the LS12000 a meaningful upgrade from what I already have.

Since I decided a while back JVC would be the winner if it came down to them and Sony, I'll likely be buying the NZ7 but what I saw today convinced me I don't need to be in a hurry. For the time being I'm happy with my 6050.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I guess I’m confused as to what would make a tv or projector a “limited edition” item and why would people pay extra for it? Limited edition anything doesn’t move the needle with me, but doubly so for electronics. 🤔

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I guess I’m confused as to what would make a tv or projector a “limited edition” item and why would people pay extra for it? Limited edition anything doesn’t move the needle with me, but doubly so for electronics. 🤔
Here's how they justify it but I'm in total agreement with you.

25th Anniversary Exclusive Exterior
To commemorate the 25th anniversary, a silver chrome-finished center plate is engraved with an exclusive logo and serial number. Also, the lens ring is anodized silver, exclusive to the limited edition model.
3. 25th Anniversary Special Opening Logo
The 25th anniversary commemorative logo is displayed when the projector is turned on.
4. 25th Anniversary Commemorative Plaque
A commemorative plaque containing a D-ILA element and engraved with a serial number will be presented separately.
5. 25th Anniversary Commemorative Jacket
A commemorative jacket embellished with a 25th anniversary D-ILA logo will be delivered separately.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks