JVC Announces Planned HDR Upgrade for Native 4K D-ILA Projectors

sbjork

Agent
Real Name
Stephen
The original 3.10 firmware update that added the frame adaptive tone mapping was already such a quantum leap that I have a hard time imagining too much room for improvement. I have only encountered a handful of discs (most notably the new Star Wars UHDs) where I have felt much need to tweak, and even that was just a matter of switching the mapping level from Auto to High.

Now, finally fixing the artifacting from the auto-iris would be really lovely, but that horse seems to be dead at this point.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
This feature works for all sources, so streaming 4K benefits too? I know there is a disc player that many strongly recommend (a high end Panasonic?), but this JVC approach seems like the best solution for most people. Buy an affordable disc player, buy whatever streaming boxes you like. Use an HTPC system. And the display will handle all the 4K image processing.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
The big advantage of paring Panasonic's UB9000 with any projector is it's priority HDR Optimizer that redoes the EOTF PQ curve to better match the projectors peak luminance capability. Other than buying a very high-end outboard video processor, like Lumagen.

Panasonic's UB9000 is the best way to see the full dynamic tonal range and all of the color volume that are mastered in all 4K HDR content and still let JVC's projector take care of tone mapping after the UB9000 processes and passes the HDR content remapped to 350 nits.

Reactions: DaveF

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
This feature works for all sources, so streaming 4K benefits too? I know there is a disc player that many strongly recommend (a high end Panasonic?), but this JVC approach seems like the best solution for most people. Buy an affordable disc player, buy whatever streaming boxes you like. Use an HTPC system. And the display will handle all the 4K image processing.
Sounds that way from what I'm reading. I came across specific user comments/rationale (elsewhere) to that effect yesterday, but don't have the links now.

The JVC approach seems much more "set it and forget it" than all others.

The big advantage of paring Panasonic's UB9000 with any projector is it's priority HDR Optimizer that redoes the EOTF PQ curve to better match the projectors peak luminance capability. Other than buying a very high-end outboard video processor, like Lumagen.

Panasonic's UB9000 is the best way to see the full dynamic tonal range and all of the color volume that are mastered in all 4K HDR content and still let JVC's projector take care of tone mapping after the UB9000 processes and passes the HDR content remapped to 350 nits.
But doesn't the other lower end Panasonic players also have that capability albeit not to quite the same degree of control?

I saw at least one suggestion that the UB420 should probably be good enough... though I wonder if the lack of DV support on that player matters in this case... FWIW, I did already buy the UB420 during the last holiday shopping season.

Thanks, Robert!

_Man_

Reactions: Robert_Zohn

sbjork

Agent
Real Name
Stephen
I feed my 4K Fire stick into the HDMI input of my Oppo 205 and run the same output to my projector. It does indeed benefit streaming.

Reactions: Robert_Zohn

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
@ManW_TheUncool Yes, Panasonic's UB420 and UB820 have Panasonic HDR Optimizer, but for projectors it's limited to one projector setting. The UB9000 have two perfectly matched HDR Optimizer settings for projectors, High Luminance and Basic Luminance.

• Appreciate
Reactions: ManW_TheUncool

sbjork

Agent
Real Name
Stephen
Looks like the big ticket with the new firmware is not necessarily improving the algorithms, but rather increasing the data that the projector uses to tone map based on installation specifics -- screen size, gain, and presumably distance. It also is increasing the number of level options from three to five (I assume that means six if you include Auto.)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Sam Posten
@ManW_TheUncool Yes, Panasonic's UB420 and UB820 have Panasonic HDR Optimizer, but for projectors it's limited to one projector setting. The UB9000 have two perfectly matched HDR Optimizer settings for projectors, High Luminance and Basic Luminance.
And this is why I won't buy it. I already have a perfectly fine 'enthusiast' bluray deck that cost me over $500 and a dozen consumer grade ones that are all virtually identical to it in PQ and AQ. I am not going to buy a $1000 Bluray deck to get this one feature when it's perfectly possible to support it in the 420 and 820. I don't care if it's the best HDR implementation ever for projectors, I refuse to be a sheep on this.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
These tweaks keep pushing me to buying a JVC projector when the time comes. The disc-player optimizers are useless to me as I don’t use discs (streaming services and ripped-disc HTPC).

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
These tweaks keep pushing me to buying a JVC projector when the time comes. The disc-player optimizers are useless to me as I don’t use discs (streaming services and ripped-disc HTPC).
My JVC NX7 (RS2000) continues to amaze me with its image quality output.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My JVC NX7 (RS2000) continues to amaze me with its image quality output.
I’m looking forward to what new JVC projectors, or pricing, or anything is announced this Fall. I still might upgrade to 4K this year. Pandemic screwed everything up, but maybe still doable for me this year.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
els