What's new

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I guess I’m confused as to what would make a tv or projector a “limited edition” item and why would people pay extra for it? Limited edition anything doesn’t move the needle with me, but doubly so for electronics. 🤔
it’s in the linked press release:
The new limited edition DLA-25LTD achieves a native contrast of 150,000:1 by using carefully selected D-ILA chips and optical devices.
If I had an NZ9 budget, I’d be gnashing my teeth that there’s only 25 of these anniversary models available and I wouldn’t be getting one for 20% more.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
it’s in the linked press release:

If I had an NZ9 budget, I’d be gnashing my teeth that there’s only 25 of these anniversary models available and I wouldn’t be getting one for 20% more.
The new limited edition DLA-25LTD achieves a native contrast of 150,000:1 by using carefully selected D-ILA chips and optical devices.

I foresee the usual phenomenon with rare items in the technical sphere. These will be snatched up by "cost is no object" types who have neither the skill or inclination to verify (or even appreciate) the increased contrast claim. Instead they'll just point out the aesthetic differentiators to prove to their friends they've indeed purchased a coveted piece. JVC could sell these with equal ease if they were technically identical to the general production lot.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

I foresee the usual phenomenon with rare items in the technical sphere. These will be snatched up by "cost is no object" types who have neither the skill or inclination to verify (or even appreciate) the increased contrast claim. Instead they'll just point out the aesthetic differentiators to prove to their friends they've indeed purchased a coveted piece. JVC could sell these with equal ease if they were technically identical to the general production lot.

Or, my favorite quote from GG, “A fool and his money are lucky enough to get together in the first place.”

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Cost no object people buy $100k Christie projectors for their 200” theaters.

A $30k projector is less than a sports car, in the realm of a fishing boat or an old, well used water ski boat. Probably a just a few years cost of downhill skiing around the country.

As expensive hobbies go, it’s not *that* much.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Cost no object people buy $100k Christie projectors for their 200” theaters.

A $30k projector is less than a sports car, in the realm of a fishing boat or an old, well used water ski boat. Probably a just a few years cost of downhill skiing around the country.

As expensive hobbies go, it’s not *that* much.
You were likely a formidable opponent on the debate team. Touch'e! :cool:

GeorgeHolland

Stunt Coordinator
It is technically closer to a 15% premium. I agree there will be greater demand for these projectors than supply with only 20 available in the US and 5 in Canada. While the internal components will be identical to the RS4100, the tolerances will be tighter if production differences mirror what JVC has done with previous limited editions.

By selecting the best performing D-ILA chips and optical devices it is reasonable to think contrast ratio specifications will measure higher on average. I would also expect it will be unlikely samples would have poor convergence or significantly bright corners. Add 5 years of warranty versus 3 on the RS4100 and Kris Deering calibrating each projector to the buyers’ screen and I expect they may already be spoken for. Kris will undoubtedly be measuring the specs as he calibrates the projectors.

GeorgeHolland

Stunt Coordinator

GeorgeHolland

Stunt Coordinator
I updated my RS-3100 Tuesday evening from v1.24 to v2.0 and it completed in a little under an hour without issue. I then updated my Radiance Pro to firmware 110222. I had not been using Laser Dimming before the update because it hurt highlights in most cases and made the overall image seem dull when compared to laser Dimming off but I selected mode 3 to see how it looks. I had received my UHD Blu-ray copy of Top Gun; Maverick when it was released and watched it with my wife for the first time Tuesday night as the first viewing using LD 3 (Dynamic Control Mode 3).

Since I use the Radiance Pro for Dynamic Tone Mapping, I am not testing or using the additional features added in v2.0. The Lumagen’s new firmware has added a more instantaneous auto aspect detection but I decided not to use it and watched Maverick entirely in 2.35:1 on my scope screen. I did use auto aspect detection for the extras to test it and it worked very well and fast. It was at default so I am not sure if it could be even quicker. The LRP already support aspect detection and switching, this update just gives the option of making it instantaneous. I am not a fan of changing aspect ratios when viewing on a scope screen and prefer to force 2.35:1. I usually watch a subsequent viewing with Instant auto aspect detection enabled just to see what it looks like. It isn’t directors intent since the 16 x 9 content is smaller, not larger on scope screens as it would be on an Imax theater screen.

Having never watched “Top Gun; Maverick” before I do not have anything to compare LD 3 on vs off but I can say the movie looked amazing. Laser Dimming Mode 3 did not seem to subdue highlights at all and even seemed to add punch. Full Fade to black now works well and I feel I am taking full advantage of JVC’s excellent black level. I am not sure I want to over analyze and compare anyway; I had just as soon set and forget if LD 3 improves the picture in most viewings and not look for or notice the hopefully small minority of instances where it could work better. I already loved the RS-3100 image and this update takes performance up a notch or two in my opinion.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Prior to the firmware update I experimented with laser dimming on my RS4100. Due to how it is dimming at too high of an APL and unnecessarily dimming highlights I ultimately chose to run without any laser dimming. I did love the full fade to deep black with dimming (preferred mode 2 over mode 1) but the negative impact of the highlight dimming and compression wasn’t worth the trade off for me. I missed the full fade to black in those moments, but I preferred using no dimming.

With dimming mode 3 of the new firmware, I’m quite happy now that I can retain the punchy, uncompromised image that I had with LD off plus now get back the full fades to deep black. I now use LD mode 3 for both SDR and HDR.

Mode 3 isn’t perfect. It is a little slow to react and it is a little unstable, or bouncy, in scenes that are very dark with no highlights. But now I feel that those trade offs are worth it. I do, however, hope JVC continues to refine and improve this feature.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Hi All, it's been awhile. I recently purchased the RS-3100. I wanted to ask you all if this should be professionally calibrated? In the past, I did this for TVs with Gregg but projectors are new to me. I was told these projectors don't really need them but it seems some you own this or similar so what do you all think?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks