What's new

Justice League (2017) (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Finally screwed up my courage and took the plunge on this for the first time last night (in 3D), and ... it wasn't as awful as I'd feared. Aside from a rather generic villain and some sketchy CGI, it was better than I expected. I've seen all the prior films, though it's been a while and I don't recall the details, so any continuity issues with previously-established character arcs didn't really register as I was watching.

I still don't care for Affleck's Bruce Wayne/Batman. I thought I'd dislike Ezra Miller's Flash, as a casual fan of the TV version by Grant Gustin, but he was pretty good in the young kid/Peter Parker-ish role. I also liked Jason Momoa's Aquaman, which actually has me looking forward to the December film (a first for me with any DC film since Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy).

My favorite line in the film was between Flash and Aquaman (a scene someone else in this thread said they hated), when after Aquaman has been blubbering about his feelings and fears (while sitting on Diana's lasso), he turns to Flash and says, "If you mention this to anyone, you'll meet every piranha I know." I LOL'ed. ;)

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
What bothers me most about the CGI characters is their voice. Steppenwolf never sounded like he was in the same environment as anyone else. Add some reverb or something, can't be that difficult. I had the same issue with Ultron, that takes me out of the movie more than the PS3 graphics (in the case of Steppenwolf).

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Anybody know exactly what the changes are in the Snyder cut?

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
A lot since Whedon made enough changes to get a writing credit on the theatrical version.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Anybody know exactly what the changes are in the Snyder cut?

It should be interesting to see.

JL went into production just as BvS came out, just as BvS was getting slaughtered by critics and underperforming at the box office. JL was immediately changed from being a two film project to being condensed into one film, and Snyder went into the shoot without a completed script. At a certain point, before filming was complete, a rough cut of the parts that had been shot was assembled, and all hands agreed at the time that it wasn’t working. The studio then halted production before filming was complete and brought on Joss Whedon to rewrite the script, with the idea that Snyder would shoot Whedon’s pages. Then Snyder had a terrible family tragedy and stepped away from the project, at which point Whedon was hired to shoot the pages he had written.

So the idea that there was a completed Snyder version that Warner rejected has never been the case. Snyder‘s version was unfinished by necessity because there wasn’t a finished script. Snyder was reported to have agreed it wasn’t working at the time they shut it down.

So I honestly have no idea what form this will take. My guess would be that they will need to use Whedon material to fill in the gaps, because there’s no way you’re getting that cast back together now and even if you did, what would they do? Finish filming a script everyone agreed didn’t work?

This will probably wind up being similar to the Superman II Donner Cut in the sense that they’ll almost certainly have to use Whedon material (which again, was written under Snyder’s supervision) to add cohesion to the previously rejected Snyder material.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Unh. Justice League under Whedon didn't work for me, despite my loving his two Avengers films (with the second definitely being the lesser). And I am curious about what Snyder would've done with it, though I approach it with dread. I found his Dawn of the Dead a pleasant surprise, his The 300 impressive (though I don't think it holds up as well on rewatches, once the novelty of the production wears off), and I love his Watchmen more and more with each viewing despite its flaws.

But I hated Man of Steel (wonderful as a piece of cinema, but a fustercluck of character), and while I enjoyed Batman v Superman more than I ever thought I would, that's more because I liked its small virtues more than I disliked its numerous flaws.

And while I don't feel like I can put all of the blame for the hot mess that was Suicide Squad on his shoulders, I think that at the end, I just don't care for his dark direction for the DC Universe. So I'm glad that he ended up stepping aside (though I am sympathetic for his reasons for doing so).

Which is not to say that I don't think his vision of the DCEU is valid. Comics universes are always reinventing themselves -- especially DC's, which has seemed to get a fresh reboot every 5-10 years for the last 35 years. Man of Steel was a valid vision of Superman in a post-9/11 world, but that doesn't mean I had to like it, or what followed.

So, no, I'm not looking forward to seeing his cut of Justice League, but I'm curious enough that I'm sure I'll watch it anyway.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I never thought it would see the light of day. Although I'm no fan of Snyder, I'm very interested in seeing it.

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Unh. Justice League under Whedon didn't work for me, despite my loving his two Avengers films (with the second definitely being the lesser). And I am curious about what Snyder would've done with it, though I approach it with dread. I found his Dawn of the Dead a pleasant surprise, his The 300 impressive (though I don't think it holds up as well on rewatches, once the novelty of the production wears off), and I love his Watchmen more and more with each viewing despite its flaws.

But I hated Man of Steel (wonderful as a piece of cinema, but a fustercluck of character), and while I enjoyed Batman v Superman more than I ever thought I would, that's more because I liked its small virtues more than I disliked its numerous flaws.

And while I don't feel like I can put all of the blame for the hot mess that was Suicide Squad on his shoulders, I think that at the end, I just don't care for his dark direction for the DC Universe. So I'm glad that he ended up stepping aside (though I am sympathetic for his reasons for doing so).

Which is not to say that I don't think his vision of the DCEU is valid. Comics universes are always reinventing themselves -- especially DC's, which has seemed to get a fresh reboot every 5-10 years for the last 35 years. Man of Steel was a valid vision of Superman in a post-9/11 world, but that doesn't mean I had to like it, or what followed.

So, no, I'm not looking forward to seeing his cut of Justice League, but I'm curious enough that I'm sure I'll watch it anyway.
+1

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I’ll watch it in whatever form it comes out in. I actually thought what we got was very entertaining and on the same level as The Avengers, though I was definitely looking for something more I like with MoS and BvS: DoJ. I like Snyder’s vision on these characters and the universe he was building.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Hollywood Reporter is saying that Warner will contribute $20-30 million to put this back into postproduction. Final form has yet to be determined; it could come out as a long movie or short limited series. From the article, I get the sense the decision will be made on that once work is underway and they have a sense of what’s actually there and how best they can recoup that investment.

At this point, with new production shut down indefinitely and no clear picture for when production or theatrical exhibition will resume, this will allow them to get a new tentpole-quality production for a relatively small investment. It’s smart business. Bet it never happened if there had been no pandemic.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
They'd better release it as a feature film. "Miniseries" format would kill it for me.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
They'd better release it as a feature film. "Miniseries" format would kill it for me.

If it's headed to HBO Max either way and won't play in theaters, then what's the difference? I assume it will be whatever Snyder wants, because the whole point of this is that it's his cut.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It's good that Snyder is getting his version out there but based on all the previous DC movies that Snyder made, I think the last thing this movie needs to be is more 'dark and gritty' and an hour or two longer. The humor/lighter tone and shorter run time were two of the positives of the movie.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
If it's headed to HBO Max either way and won't play in theaters, then what's the difference? I assume it will be whatever Snyder wants, because the whole point of this is that it's his cut.

The difference is that I want to see it presented like a feature film, not hacked up into 6 "episodes" to stretch things out. It was shot and paced as a film, it should be viewed as a film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks