What's new

Zack Snyder's Justice League (2021) (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
At least “Granny Goodness” is a proper spelling of proper words.

With Darkseid, my brain refuses to read it any way other than “DarkSEED” and it’s so hard to take seriously, much like Apokalips. It’s just stupidity for stupidity’s sakes and does nothing but give ammunition to people who insist comic originated stories are only for 12 year old boys. I think there’s worlds of potential to use comics to tell a variety of stories for different age groups and maturity levels but those things make me cringe so damn hard.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry

With Darkseid, my brain refuses to read it any way other than “DarkSEED” and it’s so hard to take seriously, much like Apokalips. It’s just stupidity for stupidity’s sakes and does nothing but give ammunition to people who insist comic originated stories are only for 12 year old boys. I think there’s worlds of potential to use comics to tell a variety of stories for different age groups and maturity levels but those things make me cringe so damn hard.

You're not alone. I've known a lot of people who've pronounced it that way. I've always pronounced it "DarkSIDE", as that's what seemed obvious to me. Especially after a half-dozen years later, when Star Wars came along and referred to the "dark side of the Force".

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

I go to my comic book store every week and you've hit on a reason why I read no superhero comic books from Marvel or DC.

ChrisOC

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Peterson
I don't know if anyone has noticed—or if anyone cares, which is possible—but the Justice Is Gray presentation of this film actually has a sepia tone and adjusted contrast. I pulled up the film on my PC and took a screenshot of the same scene in both "gray" (left), and original altered to grayscale (right), and here's what I got. I have to admit that this makes the gray presentation a little more interesting.

Attachments

• justice_1gray.png
    justice_1gray.png
    260.9 KB · Views: 113
  • justice_2bw.png
    justice_2bw.png
    197.5 KB · Views: 118

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry

By the way, I keep forgetting to warn you that you'll come up against this same bit of business when Marvel's The Eternals comes out this fall. Characters created by Jack Kirby whose names are all creatively [mis-]spelled from Greek mythology.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
For anyone who might be interested, Prizeo is doing a raffle for a pair of tickets to a special screening at the Lincoln Square IMAX (largest screen in North America) in July, with proceeds to benefit the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, a cause I feel is worthy of support.

https://prizeo.com/r/P0710k

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, this article is behind Rolling Stone's paywall.
It's essentially a long-form, more detailed version of this:

My two thoughts (finding the new cut to be superior but also not being the biggest Snyder fan and having no dog in the race):
  • "A report commissioned by WarnerMedia reportedly finds the campaign to release Zack Snyder's version of Justice League was fueled by fake accounts..." - Look again at that first part. "A report commissioned by WarnerMedia."
  • With all the real world damage social media bots and fake accounts have been doing (to go further would violate HTF policies, but as the kids say IYKYK), it's kind of sad/funny/ironic for media outlets to be reporting so specifically on this particular topic.
My "armchair quarterback with zero proof" take: there is probably an element of truth to it, using bots to bolster one's case on social media is not particularly difficult nor unprecedented. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Snyder, someone in his camp/sphere of influence, and/or his most ardent and tech-savvy fans didn't engage in it to some degree (mixed in with actual fans who wanted to see the cut).

But when, after the release of the Snyder Cut, the pressure didn't die down, but rather morphed into "restore the SnyderVerse"...this new spate of released information from a WarnerMedia commissioned report smells a little bit like a reverse hit piece.

I'd bet if some neutral third party investigated the issue (not that anyone should devote resources to something so trivial in the scheme of life right now) we'd find malfeasance from both camps.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
It's essentially a long-form, more detailed version of this:

My two thoughts (finding the new cut to be superior but also not being the biggest Snyder fan and having no dog in the race):
  • "A report commissioned by WarnerMedia reportedly finds the campaign to release Zack Snyder's version of Justice League was fueled by fake accounts..." - Look again at that first part. "A report commissioned by WarnerMedia."
  • With all the real world damage social media bots and fake accounts have been doing (to go further would violate HTF policies, but as the kids say IYKYK), it's kind of sad/funny/ironic for media outlets to be reporting so specifically on this particular topic.
My "armchair quarterback with zero proof" take: there is probably an element of truth to it, using bots to bolster one's case on social media is not particularly difficult nor unprecedented. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Snyder, someone in his camp/sphere of influence, and/or his most ardent and tech-savvy fans didn't engage in it to some degree (mixed in with actual fans who wanted to see the cut).

But when, after the release of the Snyder Cut, the pressure didn't die down, but rather morphed into "restore the SnyderVerse"...this new spate of released information from a WarnerMedia commissioned report smells a little bit like a reverse hit piece.

I'd bet if some neutral third party investigated the issue (not that anyone should devote resources to something so trivial in the scheme of life right now) we'd find malfeasance from both camps.
The Snydercut was also a huge success for HBOMax, so regardless of the authenticity of the push to get it done, the results were well worth it for them.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, this article is behind Rolling Stone's paywall.
I was able to read it. I'm not a subscriber.
RS is one of those sites that keeps track of, via cookies, how many articles one has read from them each month, and once you exceed that, it tells you that you're out of free articles. My guess is Doug has exceeded that.

The two workarounds are to either delete all of your cookies to that site, or use a private browser that doesn't allow tracking.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
RS is one of those sites that keeps track of, via cookies, how many articles one has read from them each month, and once you exceed that, it tells you that you're out of free articles. My guess is Doug has exceeded that.

The two workarounds are to either delete all of your cookies to that site, or use a private browser that doesn't allow tracking.
I’ve read exactly zero articles on the RS website until I clicked through Joel’s link. Who knows?

Last edited:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I was able to read it. I'm not a subscriber.
I could only see the first paragraph or so, and was then prompted to either subscribe or log in as a subscriber. I’ve never read a single article on their website. I’ll try scrubbing my cookies anyway and give it another go.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I just cut and pasted the link into a private Chrome browser and got the full article without the prompt to sub or log in.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
My review of this week's digital release has now been posted. In terms of special features, the release is a mess.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks