What's new

Justice League (2017) (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The difference is that I want to see it presented like a feature film, not hacked up into 6 "episodes" to stretch things out. It was shot and paced as a film, it should be viewed as a film.
Well, I guess you won't be watching it.;)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Oh, I'll still watch it, and the way HBO will air it still hasn't been decided. Just voicing my opinion.
Frankly, I'm not sure I'll be watching it. I don't really have an issue with the episodic concept, but, it's the level of my interest that might be prevent me from watching it.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I am one of the few people in the world I guess, who think the movie is fine as it is! I’d probably buy the Blu rays out of curiosity. HBO is a premium service in Canada included with pay TV networks. I don’t know anyone who has it. It also is not as extensive as the US version.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I am one of the few people in the world I guess, who think the movie is fine as it is! I’d probably buy the Blu rays out of curiosity. HBO is a premium service in Canada included with pay TV networks. I don’t know anyone who has it. It also is not as extensive as the US version.
I'm fine with the current version of the movie which was my point as to my lack of interest in this version of the movie.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I doubt I will watch the new cut. I think Synder is a talented film maker, and I've enjoyed some of his work, but his hyper-realistic, grim and gritty DC films suck all the joy and fun out of them for me. I never thought I'd say a Batman or Superman film wasn't fun, but they're not. At least, not for me. Give me Christopher Reeve's Superman or Michael Keaton's Batman (or Adam West's!).

You know where Synder lost me? It was in Watchmen, a film that I generally liked. There's a scene where Rorschach is in jail and some prisoners have their hands through the jail bars, and Rorschach has a chain saw. The audience knows he'll use it on their hands. We hear the grisly sounds. That should be enough, but it's not for Synder, who shows us every absurdly gory detail, not because it's necessary, but because he can. He lost me right there. That's gratuitous, and it's poor film making too.

Last edited:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I’ll watch it.
Actually looking forward to seeing it.
I am a little annoyed at myself because I like to keep track of what I watch on Letterboxd but I somehow forgot to log that one.
I did give it 4 stars on my DVD profiler so I must have liked the movie.

One issue that I do have is that for a big event movie like this one they go with a bad guy that barely anyone knows or heard of. Steppenwolf?

Not sure why anyone who watches These movies wouldn’t watch this Snyder cut.
Especially if you have this Max at the time of release.
What’s it gonna hurt to watch it.

You know you’re going to want to see it just to talk about it here anyway.

Oh one more thing that’s a minor nitpick that they completely ignore the really cool scene when Flash appears to Bruce Wayne in BvS.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
One issue that I do have is that for a big event movie like this one they go with a bad guy that barely anyone knows or heard of. Steppenwolf?
This was really my only issue with the movie. Very uninteresting villain. It’s the only factor I think The Avengers had over this. Though I otherwise prefer JL to Avengers in all other respects.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
the way HBO will air it still hasn't been decided

I’d probably buy the Blu rays out of curiosity. HBO is a premium service in Canada included with pay TV networks. I don’t know anyone who has it. It also is not as extensive as the US version.

This isn't HBO the premium TV network that will be airing it. It's HBO Max, the Warner Bros. streaming service, which means you'll have to subscribe to that to see it. I'm sure they're counting on it to drive new subscriptions next year. Whether or not there will be a Blu-ray later on probably depends on how long they want to keep it as a subscriber exclusive. For a $30 million investment to finish it, I imagine they'll want to keep it for a good while.

I hated Man of Steel. But then I came back for Batman v. Superman anyway because I wanted to see what they would do with Batman. I hated that too. I didn't bother with the theatrical version of Justice League, and I won't be bothering with this one either. Snyder has been a terrible match for these characters in my opinion, and the best decision WB has made in a long time is moving on from his aesthetic in the DC films. For those who liked his work, it's cool that you're getting this and I hope you like it. But the idea of spending more time in Snyder's vision of this world does not appeal to me at all. So I'm out.

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry

Well, to be fair, Steppenwolf was intended to be a stepping-stone to Darkseid, who was foreshadowed in BvS, and would've been the Big Bad when Justice League was originally planned as a 2-movie thing.

Not that many people not familiar with DC's comics would necessarily know who Darkseid was, but then, not that many people not familiar with Marvel's comics would necessarily know who Thanos was. And that worked pretty well for them. (Though admittedly, Thanos did appear prior to Infinity War. On the other hand, Warner was trying to fast-track the DCEU films, so...perhaps you're right to begin with.;))

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
If you have HBO the premium cable channel, you get HBO Max as part of that subscription.
You're the only person I've seen give a simple or coherent answer of it did or didn't. Me and a friend have both read multiple articles and couldn't figure out if a cable subscription meant that you have HBO Max or not. No doubt there's been quality articles on the topic but HBO (and the people writing the stories I've read) have failed miserably in dispensing what should have been very simple info.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I doubt I will watch the new cut. I think Synder is a talented film maker, and I've enjoyed some of his work, but his hyper-realistic, grim and gritty DC films suck all the joy and fun out of them for me. I never thought I'd say a Batman or Superman film wasn't fun, but they're not. At least, not for me. Give me Christopher Reeve's Superman or Michael Keaton's Batman (or Adam West's!).

You know where Synder lost me? It was in Watchmen, a film that I generally liked. There's a scene where Rorschach is in jail and some prisoners have their hands through the jail bars, and Rorschach has a chain saw. The audience knows he'll use it on their hands. We hear the grisly sounds. That should be enough, but it's not for Synder, who shows us every absurdly gory detail, not because it's necessary, but because he can. He lost me right there. That's gratuitous, and it's poor film making too.

I didn't have the problem with Watchmen that you had. The story itself called for that level of brutality. Moore's graphic novel was intended to be a deconstruction of the whole notion of superheroes being a good thing. But that is, in a sense, irrelevant to the issue of whether this kind of thing is appropriate for the DC films.

But yes, sucking all the joy is an issue for me with Snyder's DC films. Man of Steel was 2.5 hours of absolute misery. By that, I don't mean miserable for me as a viewer. I mean miserable for all of the characters in the story. Young Clark was in misery as his powers developed; young adult Clark was in misery because he failed to save Jonathan (and no matter what Snyder likes to say, it wasn't that Clark couldn't save Jonathan, it was that he chose not to, no matter the reason why); the citizens of Smallville were in misery from the utter destruction of their town and loss of life; the citizens of Metropolis were in misery from the same.

I could also include the misery of Krypton's destruction, but that's something we're stuck with; the whole premise of the Superman mythology is that for Kal-El to become Superman, billions of Kryptonians had to die. But even then, instead of a utopian civilization whose destruction was a great sacrifice, we're presented with a Krypton in civil war.

The singular moment of pure joy in that film was the scene on the Arctic ice-pack where Clark tilts his face up to the sun, soaks in all that yummy solar radiation, and launches himself into the sky. Everything else? Misery.

And yes, Superman killing Zod bugged the crap out of me, too, but it's more of a symptom of what was wrong with the movie than being the single issue that breaks the movie for me.

I'm not opposed to dark superhero or superhero-adjacent films. I loved Watchmen, V for Vendetta, The Crow (the first one, anyway), Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy, etc. I'm not sure I agree with your opinion on any of the pre-Nolan Batman, but a dark Batman seems appropriate, where a dark Superman does not. I also appreciate (and actually like) alternate universe stories where everything turns out dark. But the point is that they're alternate visions. I want the primary vision to be lighter.

As I said in a previous post, I think Snyder's vision is a completely valid one. But that doesn't mean I have to agree with it or like it. For people who like Snyder's films, I get it. He is an incredibly talented and cinematic filmmaker. And I suppose I'm interested in seeing his cut of Justice League even though I'm sure I'm not going to like it overmuch.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
You're the only person I've seen give a simple or coherent answer of it did or didn't. Me and a friend have both read multiple articles and couldn't figure out if a cable subscription meant that you have HBO Max or not. No doubt there's been quality articles on the topic but HBO (and the people writing the stories I've read) have failed miserably in dispensing what should have been very simple info.

I had the same problem. The source of the problem seems to be confusion with regard to whether one is referring to HBO itself, or the HBO Go or HBO Now platforms.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yeah, HBO ain’t doing a great job there. As I understand it, this is the deal:

-If you have HBO as a TV channel from a cable or satellite provider, you will get access to HBO Max as part of that subscription.

-If you subscribe to HBO Now directly from HBO’s website, you will get access to HBO Max as part of that subscription.

-If you subscribe to HBO Now through a third party service or device (for instance, you subscribe through iTunes and are billed by Apple), you will not get HBO Max as part of that service.

-HBO Max costs the same as HBO Now and includes everything on Now. So if you pay for Now and don’t get Max, cancel Now and sign up for Max.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Not that many people not familiar with DC's comics would necessarily know who Darkseid was

Easy enough to introduce Darkseid by showing him ruthlessly, and without mercy, crushing victims unrelated to Earth or to the Justice League. Throw in a little talk about how Darkseid doesn't mind spilling rivers of innocent blood, and so forth …

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Easy enough to introduce Darkseid by showing him ruthlessly, and without mercy, crushing victims unrelated to Earth or to the Justice League. Throw in a little talk about how Darkseid doesn't mind spilling rivers of innocent blood, and so forth …

Of course, at this point, people not familiar with the comics history will think Darkseid is a rip-off of Thanos, when it was actually the other way around.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
oh honestly, HBO are giving him 20 million to finish what he started, and as a DC kid from a long time ago it's the film i want to see, re-shoot the scenes with Cavil with out a mustache, Bring on Darkseid and Apokolips , if he has 90%, then they better get cracking on that other 10% and i am going to go ahead and say it now "F" what Rotten Tomatoes thinks, because it's not Marvel. Would be nice to set up a Superman follow-up in this that doesn't use Eisenberg's Lex Luthor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks