What's new

Just finished new sonosub. (1 Viewer)

Phil Olson

Stunt Coordinator
High all,
I just finished my new 24" sonosub and I love it. It's a dual sealed Tempest driven by a Bryston 4B-THX, (400W/Ch into 4 ohms), and tamed by a Rane PE-17.
It's basically the low Q design in the Tempest white paper X 2, (i.e 460L, 128 oz polyfill).
I haven't had a chance to optimize placement or EQ yet but even 'raw' it's improved my system considerably.
I've also learned some things while building it. For instance, 1/4" cap screws are perfect for mounting. No screwdriver to slip!
Another thing that I found was caulk in a small aerosol can that was just enough, (literally!), to do both of the 24" end caps. No bulky caulking gun to deal with. :)
Most of all it was fun and only took a couple of weekends.
If I have the time, I'll post some pictures on some free site.
I really wanted to thank Dan Wiggins who reviewed my LspCAD simulation and got me the drivers in time to fill my finished tube.
Phil

Julian Data

Second Unit
Congrats Phil!
biggrin.gif

------------------

Phil Olson

Stunt Coordinator
Keith is right. That's why they are great, the force is a sideways motion not down. If you slip, your hand goes past the sub, not through it.
I've placed the tube in the corner for now and was able to get it +/-3dB from 20-159 by knocking down the peaks with the Rane PE-17. This only took an afternoon.
When I have more time, (I'm working for a startup), I'm sure I'll be able to improve that.
Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks