How can I not post yet another "the sonosub is finished!" message?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Meininger, Oct 11, 2002.

1. Jeff Meininger

Jeff Meininger Second Unit

At last, it is finished! I know there are about as many of these kinds of threads as there are sonosubs in the world, but I just HAVE to share. Sorry.
    The EBS shiva is simply fantastic. It sounds great! Just like you read on so many DIY threads, having a good sub reveals tons of material that you never heard before in certain movies. It sounds much better than the old sub did with both movies and music. My expectations were very high. My expectations were met. [​IMG]
    I went into this DIY sub thing with two preconceived misconceptions: that larger drivers cannot reproduce higher-frequency bass clearly and that sealed subs have substantially higher sound quality than even well-designed vented subs. I'm very glad that folks like Jack Gilvey steered me in the right direction. My shiva sounds better crossed over at 120 than my old 8-incher did.
    I've found that many things in the house (and components of the house itself) rattle at certain frequencies. It's fun to be playing a test tone that you can't really hear, but know something's playing by the rattling of various objects here and there. I have a good start on my rattle-prevention campaign... vases and decorative stuff are easy, but I don't know what I'm going to do about the window panes. [​IMG]
    Speaking of test tones, I (for the first time) did the "walk around the room and find the peaks and nulls" thing. My placement of this sub is terrible. There are huge peaks and huge nulls all over the place. I want a better living room shape!! Not having giant openings to other large-air-volume rooms would be nice, too.
    I was running it waaaaaay hot at first (hey, new toy ya know) and I bottomed it on LOTR. Eeep! That's an ugly sound. I presumed I was bottoming my old sub when I heard lots of distortion, but I guess I wasn't. The 8-inch POS was making LOTS of unwanted noises, but not THAT noise. I hope I didn't damage my brand-new driver! It still sounds fine. For future reference, is there any way I can inspect the driver to make sure I haven't damaged it?
    Anyway, I'm absolutely pleased as punch. If you have a more normal sized living room without giant openings to every other large room in the house, I don't think you'd have a problem with bottoming. I can listen to most material as loud as I care to listen with no problem... it's just LOTR. [​IMG]
    Here are some pictures of the build process and the finished sub...
    http://boxybutgood.com/temp/sonosub/
    Building a sub is a lot of fun. I'd like to thank Hank Frankenberg and Mark Hayenga for their help!

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

What is your cat trying to tell you? [​IMG]
    Glad your DIY sub-building fears have been displaced with elation.

3. JeffTodd

JeffTodd Stunt Coordinator

Looks good Jeff!

I know what you mean by test tones causing things in the house to rattle. I still do not have anything to drive my sub yet so I have put off the finishing touches, but hopefully soon I will have some pics as well.

4. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

Jeff, I'm glad you are pleased with your first DIY project.....I have a feeling it wont be your last[​IMG]

5. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Jeff, lookin' good! I'm glad you are happy with the "sound" of your sub. Your efforts resulted in a great value sub. If you take any more photos, you'll be know as Son of Patrick Sun [​IMG]

6. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

As long as you have pictures, it is a requirement of participation in this area of the forum that you post another "My sonosub is done" thread.

Looks good.

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Oh goodness, I have "progeny" all over the world now, what have I started...

8. Jeff Meininger

Yeah, the cat pics were definitely homage to the master sonosub photographer Patrick Sun. [​IMG]

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Especially the cat pic that I alluded to above.

10. Keith Shaw

Keith Shaw Agent

Looks nice Jeff. You don't live south of austin by any chance, do you? I just finished moving my sister into a new garden home near Slaughter/I-35 and her living room looks exactly like yours. As cookie-cutter as that neighborhood is, I think I may know who to blame it on if she complains about the noise [​IMG]

11. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Very cool, congrats! The Shiva EBS is a great alignment!

12. Jeff Meininger

Nope, northwest Austin (almost as far as Cedar Park). Very, VERY cookie cutter. [​IMG] You know that scene in "Pushing Tin" where John Cusack pulls into the driveway of the wrong house? Yeah.

13. Robin Smith

Robin Smith Stunt Coordinator

Nice job Jeff! Good pictures too.
    I am interested to know what people have to say about the amount of "stuffing" in this sub. Mine has a similar approach, I lined the walls with batting, but I think my batting is thinner than Jeff's. Also, I did not line the top plate, just the walls of the tube. Do you think I lined it enough.
    What consequences would there be to having less stuffing than this? I am happy with the sound of my sub, so I don't think there is a major problem, I am just trying to get a handle on the stuffing issue which is the area I feel I understand the least.
    Also, I picked a BFD on Friday so I have a new toy to play with. Problem #1: my DVD player does not play burned CD's and my CD player is broken [​IMG] Kinda makes it hard to do the BFD dial in work. I'll prolly be starting a new thread on this subject, don't want to take the spotlight off of Jeff's sub!
    Thanks
    Robin

14. Jeff Meininger

Actually, the EBS alignment laid out in the Adire document calls for NO stuffing, and no lining of the walls, either. I wanted to use lining, and I emailed adire tech support. I got a response that basically indicated that lining with poly batting does not change the perceived volume of the sub in a significant way.
    Stuffing a sub with wads of loose polyfill WILL change the perceived volume, though. Since the Adire docs don't call for any lining at all, I wouldn't worry about having less lining than I have. Pat Sun built 3 sonosubs, some with and some without lining, and hasn't noticed a difference. It's the STUFFING that makes the biggest difference.
    I'm going to have to get a BFD too. The potency of the room peaks and suckouts are beyond what I thought was possible. [​IMG]

15. Alan Curry

Alan Curry Agent

So... How is the crystal in the cabinet holding up? [​IMG]

16. JeffTodd

JeffTodd Stunt Coordinator

Hey Jeff, I know that you were saving up for your plate amp and driver. Obviously you got the driver, did you get the plate amp as well?

17. Jeff Meininger

Alan: I had to move items around in the cabinet to stop them rattling. Basically, nothing rattles anymore except for the plastic trim between the double-pane windows. You know... the trim that makes one big pane look like it's actually many smaller panes? Seeing as how there's no way to open a sealed, gas-filled window, I guess I'm just going to have to live with that. Pretty funny, though... you can actually SEE it vibrate between the glass panes. [​IMG]
    Jeff: Yup... got the parts express 250W plate amp.