What's new

First Impressions, EBS Shiva Sonosub... (1 Viewer)

Tommy T

Stunt Coordinator
OK, second impressions. I didn't want to leave any doubts in anyone's mind.

I tried the Kleenex trick around the seams and I maybe had a little leak around the mounting of the amp. I wasn't sure so I took the amp and remote module off and lined the mounting surfaces with some extra rubber foam tape. Reapplied and recalibrated.

I have to be honest, when I said I was about 3db hot on the sub before it probably was about 7-8db! So this time I calibrate to +3db which was like 1/5th of the amp gain control. With my receiver at -1.

Time for the sub-killer, LOTR. Man I love this thing! I finally feel my efforts have paid off. I'm not so sure of the scene but it's in the beginning when there's the big white explosion...I heard nothing, but I could have sworn my roof was coming down. My wife just stared at me as I looked like a 7 yr old on Christmas. She asked me, "it that what you were wanting?" I didn't even have to answer!

To anyone on the fence whether to build your own sub or not...DO IT! You will not regret it! I started off with no tools but needed some so that was an added expense but if you already have tools, have a little patience and know how to use a calculator, DO IT! You'll love it!

Tommy

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
Tommy, sorry I didnt see your thread before now. Congrats on a VERY nice looking sub!
Another trick to try to see if you have leaks is to take a lighter around the seams and see if the flame flickers. This test doesnt work really well anywhere near the driver because so much air is flowing but it works well around the other end cap and the amp.
Also remember, the EBS alighnment is VERY efficient so you will be able to bottom the sub with 250 watts so that is maybe what you were also experiencing. It sound like you have it dialed in nicely now so you should just sit back, whatch some movies and just try to wipe the smile off of your face :D

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
I would suggest lowering the sub output on the receiver to 1/4 to make sure it's not the receivers sub output thats clipping. Use the SPL meter, it's your friend. Calibrate properly and you will be amazed. You do have quite a large room. Use your meter and measure the peeks you get with the THX intro on TPM.

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
Tommy, I am going through almost an identical problem with the same model amp. It sounds perfect until you hit about -30 off reference and then the output goes to shit. (The best way I can describe it is it sounded like something came loose and was vibrating on the woofer, when I back off it goes away) When I first got my amp I could go right to reference without breaking a sweat so I knew something crapped out on my amp. I sent it in for repair and indeed there was a problem with one of the output transistors, which ended up blowing a bunch of stuff down the line from it. Anyways, if your amp is within warranty period I would look in to getting it fixed. I just got mine back after a $40 repair bill plus $80 worth of shipping and brokerage fees and the problem is still there for me :frowning:. Hopefully you'll have better luck than I. At least Parts Express is good to work with.
Dean

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks