What's new

Spikes on Subs?? (1 Viewer)

Kevin Beck

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sure this has come up before, and as I recall, about a year ago, you all were talking about placing your subs on big slabs of slate, or something massive to help clean up the output. I have been out of the loop for a few months. My room is in the basement, with carpet, and pad on top of the concrete. What has become the standard practice?
I'm in the process of putting together the new room, and have just finished the Sonosub. It almost touches the ceiling, so I can't put much under it,....:) Can't wait to fire this ol'boy up!
Thanks,...>>>--->

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
Nothing's changed IMO. I'm a firm believer in a massive baseplate for downward firing subs, with spikes that space it up so that it isn't 'floating' on the carpet.

GM

DerrickN

Stunt Coordinator
I used an 18" square granite slab from a local tile store and it works great.

Derrick

Eduardo

Agent
Greg - What do you consider massive. I to am currently building a sonosub (12" Shiva in an 18" tube). I am building a 20" base and will be adding spikes to the bottom of the base. The legs on top of the base will be 5".

Kevin - how is your sub coming along? I hope to have mine done in the next few week.

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
Massive means at least as heavy as the sub if a sonotube design IMO. This makes it ~the same weight as if it was an all wood cab. All wood cabs just need a rigid baseplate if sitting on carpet. Here, a double layer of 3/4" MDF or plywood is plenty.

GM

Brian Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin,

I have a simliar environment that I'm setting up for the first time -- basement, concrete slab, carpet & pad. My sub is front firing, and I'm planning to add spikes but no baseplate. I'll be curious to hear what results you find with your sonosub/spikes/slab, as I might build one down the road.

Brian

Kevin Beck

Stunt Coordinator
Well,..
Heres the deal,..I have the sub finished up,....and sitting in the corner, all by itself. Looks kind of lonely over there,..but I don't have a TV yet. If I can find myself a deal on a TV I will be all set as equipment goes. Need to build a rack, but have so much other going on, figured I would just use something temporarily untill I can put something together for good. Yes,..its killing me not being able to play around with it yet. Every time I come down the steps, its just kind of, looking at me,..you know,...With that,Come on man, lets play,look to it..:)
I have some pictures on disc, but don't have a place to load them. Any easy sugestions?
>>>--->

Eduardo

Agent
I'm rehashing this old post. Kevin - did you ever get chance to post any pictures of your sub.

I am almost done with mine I have a question. (Maybe Patrick Sun can answer :b ) What is the recommended distance/height between the base and the bottom plug holding the speaker? I am currently using 5" legs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks