What's new

John Wick: Chapter 4 (2023) (1 Viewer)

YANG

Screenwriter
Spoiler question about the ending for those who have seen it.

Do you think
John Wick is really dead? Or could he still be alive and pretending to be dead with his friends help to perhaps start life anew? I’m going with the latter.
dang! i've not got the chance to watch it as the sweetspot in numbers of theaters i frequent had been taken these few days...
my friend commented that he was like... watching Japanese Manga(aka Japanese Comics), and that final part kind of reminds him of Fast and Furious part where a tombstone was made for Letty, yet she still appears a few moment as well as follow up episodes later... because, there're still "unfinished business" that require her presence.
so... is there going to be "unfinished business" as well that might require J.Wick to come back to "deal with it"? with JW4 success... i guess there will be reappearance of Wick in the 5th installment to tie up loose ends. by the way, NY Continental Hotel for the killers had rebooted up, as according to my friend viewer... so, i guess there will be a need for the new front desk staff? and new revenge?

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Finally saw it this afternoon, it was the first opportunity for us to get out to see a movie without the kids since it hit screens. Absolutely loved it! Beautiful film in several ways.
I REALLY hope this is really it. The best possible conclusion for his character. Plenty of opportunities for more things that can be set in this world, but leave the character of John dead. I’m assuming his rumored cameo in the Ballerina movie will be set BEFORE his death though.
I would rate them in this order.

However they are all excellent. And the differences are minor.
I’m thinking that’s how I’d rank it too, though if I were to watch four YouTube videos, each one going over why each one is the “best” of the four, I’m sure I’d be hard-pressed to disagree with any of the points made. It’s an absolutely wonderful series through and through.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I preordered the iTunes digital 4K and it dropped into my account at 9pm on Monday night, I watched it yesterday.

Good popcorn flick. A little bit too long. Thirty minutes could have easily been cut without impacting the story to any significant degree. Just a few fewer bodies. Heck, about a full minute could have been cut from the scene when Winston is walking past all of the large paintings. That was one long room! :rolling-smiley:

I enjoyed it but not quite as much as the previous entries and certainly not as much as the very first film. 4 out of 5 stars.

I'd rank them:

If this is the last John Wick film , I'm satisfied the franchise has been thoroughly explored.

Mark

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
To each their own obviously, but I think each film successfully expanded the world of John Wick more than the previous one beyond just extraordinary action sequences. They are absolutely deep in plot and character development And what a fascinating world they have created.

Can’t wait to see more in the Wickverse starting with the upcoming Continental series.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Really enjoyed the John Wick series and couldn't wait for chapter 4 to come out on video.

John Wick 4K Collection.jpg

YANG

Screenwriter
Yes, but the "story" is watching it happen. :)

Like a said, with just a few less bodies.

Mark
from the oriental pugilistic world(aka JiangHu in Mandarin/ KongWu in Cantonese) point of view, as mentioned, John Wick will be back to tie some loose ends. in the process, there will be revenge, where 2 of such revenge is prominent.
1, the feud between Akira and Caine, which is a priority for John to uphold the ties and bond and integrity of "Assassins Brotherhood" between Caine-John-Shimazu.
2, a new vendetta that pops up after the death of the Marquis. this new vendetta key goal is to take John down, along with others in the circle relates to Marquis death, which may include the Koji Family, the Continental, as well as the Bowery King empire which is considerable as a potential threat to the high tables. the latter resonates very close to the WuXia(Pugilistic Martial) world of plot where the "Beggars Sect" a threat to the "Imperials Empire".
almost forgotten... the "Tracker" could be the new disciple to John, not to master his "GunFu" but rather something else... like, maybe forming a new "Assassins' Brotherhood" with Akira?

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I've seen the other three so I will probably go and see this one. Judging by Tino's description of the action, I expect.this one will be as exhausting in its body count and as inane in its almost Superman level of invulnerability for Reeve's character as number 3 was.

The first two in this series were great. The third one took a tobbogan ride downhill into rampant stupidity and exhausting levels of body count by the end. I never thought a person could get literally tired.and bored of watching carnage and action in a film but JW3 proved it was possible.
I don't know if you ever got to see this, but I'm dying to read your reaction if you did. :laugh:

Superman has nothing on the level of invulnerability John Wick for what he goes through in this movie. Makes the end of JW3 look like tripping on the sidewalk and landing in a foam pit.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Just a quick post, I watched John Wick 4 last night via the 4K blu ray. I had not seen it theatrically, so this was my first viewing. three pretty amazing set pieces of action I thought, the Osaka sequence, the Arch de Triumph sequence and the shoot-out in the building and up the stairs to the church.

I assume people have seen this, so I won’t be spoiling the end. I was a little surprised, but I guess it was telegraphed earlier that John might not survive the duel. I liked the surprise that was set-up so that John does not shoot his bullet. I certainly hope his grave is a fake and he’s happily living a quiet life. It was a good finale to the series. And I nearly stopped the disc, but I suspected there might be a short clip at the end of the credits of another scene. I’m glad I checked. I suppose as an assassin, you never really can survive this life.

I’m going to have to revisit the series from the first film as I had not re-visited them before seeing the 4th chapter.

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Watched this past weekend. It was worth watching, but I didn't think it was as good as the general feedback has been.
I really enjoyed the first one as it was fresh and hinted at so many cool new ideas with the secret organization.
This one was just an orgy of violence, but a well-made one. Exceptional choreography.

My unpopular opinion is that Keanu, while seeming like just an awesome guy, simply cannot act. This movie was exceptionally bad for him. It was like someone doing a bad Keanu impression. The guy had...what...2 dozen lines in total? Each one made me chuckle with his delivery.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Watching chapter 4, I started contemplating how many people this guy kills. I wondered how many John Wicks = 1 Titanic Iceberg. I guessed around 9 or 10. But then I did the math and came up to just over 3 John Wicks. That is A LOT.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Watched this past weekend. It was worth watching, but I didn't think it was as good as the general feedback has been.
I really enjoyed the first one as it was fresh and hinted at so many cool new ideas with the secret organization.
This one was just an orgy of violence, but a well-made one. Exceptional choreography.

My unpopular opinion is that Keanu, while seeming like just an awesome guy, simply cannot act. This movie was exceptionally bad for him. It was like someone doing a bad Keanu impression. The guy had...what...2 dozen lines in total? Each one made me chuckle with his delivery.

I think "Wick 4" went to the "yeah" well too many times.

We know Reeves' delivery of a simple "yeah" has become iconic via these movies, but "Wick 4" pours it on too much - and gives it to other characters as well.

Kinda seems a little too wink wink.

And before anyone gives me crap, I'm not saying no one can use the word "yeah", but the way the movie deploys it clearly intends to capitalize on that iconic status.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I’m afraid I didn’t even notice the “yeah”. What caught my attention was after Morpheus gives John the suit for the final battle, I quite liked the way he said, ”I’m going to need a gun.”

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks