John Wayne Films on Blu-ray

fdabbott

Agent
Real Name
Doug
How come neither John wayne's "Sons of Katie Elder" & "North to Alaska" is not available on Blu-ray? They are great westerns with great casts.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I consider HATARI! to be unreleased on Blu, because the extant Paramount transfer totally sucks.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
True Grits is beautiful on blu. Those autumn scenes are the stuff of dreams. ( Btw, my next Trek Orig series is Miri. Watching this weekend and can't wait! :D )

I like North but Sons I need to see again sometime. I remember it being weak and just okay.

Reactions: Flashgear

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
True Grits is beautiful on blu. Those autumn scenes are the stuff of dreams. ( Btw, my next Trek Orig series is Miri. Watching this weekend and can't wait! :D )

I like North but Sons I need to see again sometime. I remember it being weak and just okay.
Yes, TRUE GRIT looks wonderful. HATARI!, inexplicably, is awful.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes

Weak? Boy, people's opinions sure differ. I am a big Westerns fan and The Sons Of Katie Elder along with Gunfight At The OK Corral are my favorite two, period.
Paramount is the problem...pitiful company. Please farm your unreleased films out to Kino, Twilight Time, Olive, etc. None of us is getting any younger.

PMF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I would imagine that the cinematography by Robert Surtees for "The Cowboys" should warrant a whole new transfer on Blu.

Billy Batson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
My personal favorite JW Films left to make blu-ray:

The Wings of Eagles
Wings Of Eagles was on TCM (UK) the other week in a rather nice looking HD transfer. It's a funny old film, John Ford directs it as a broad comedy, when it's really a story of one tragedy after another: infant death, alcoholism, divorce & life changing paralysing injury.

fdabbott

Agent
Real Name
Doug
I don't count Blu-ray's released over seas. Neither "Sons of Katie Elder" or "North to Alaska" are available in North America. I agree about Paramount, and speaking of Paramount I would love to see the Alan Ladd western "Whispering Smith" on DVD.

fdabbott

Agent
Real Name
Doug
I don't count Blu-ray's released over seas. Neither "Sons of Katie Elder" or "North to Alaska" are available in North America. I agree about Paramount, and speaking of Paramount I would love to see the Alan Ladd western "Whispering Smith" on Blu-ray.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
I'd really like to see Circus World get a Region 1 release with no French enforced subs. Love the epic quality of that one. Lots of fun. Yes - definitely, The Alamo - roadshow, pretty please and theatrical too. Three Godfathers, Back to Bataan, The Wings of Eagles, The High and the Mighty and a remastered, The Longest Day (not a 'Wayne' movie, I know, but he's in the spectacular ensemble). The present Blu of this film is an atrocity.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PhishHead00