What's new

John Wayne Films on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I'm sorta surprised In Harm's Way is not on Blu yet, it's one of the few from his Paramount years yet to be released, unless I missed it somewhere and its already been released by likes of either Kino or Olive Films.

Speaking of his Paramount years, I'd like to see a special edition for Hatari!. As I'm sure there are people who could talk about this film and somewhere deep in bowels of Paramount's vaults are some behind the scenes footage and other goodies as well.

fdabbott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
North to Alaska was most definitely a North American release. I don't know about its present availability, but it was a part of Fox's big Blu-ray vote contest and scored the highest number of votes for films of the 1960s (which is why they released it on Blu-ray).
I have that relwase and North to Alaska is not part of it.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I have that relwase and North to Alaska is not part of it.
You are mistaken if you're talking about the one released in 2013.

Here is what HTF co-owner Adam Gregorich added to my review thread of the disc:

Earlier this year Fox asked for your help to Voice Your Choice and pick the title from each decade you would most like to see released to Blu-ray. Over 42,000 people cast 80,000 votes.To thank Home Theater Forum members for their participation in the Voice Your Choice promotion, Fox has put together three bundles on Fox Connect with special pricing: 1) Buy all 8 titles on Blu-ray for just $75. 2) Buy the four first place titles for $40. 3) Buy the four second place titles for $40

Here are the titles by decade:
1930s: Jesse James (1st place), Call of the Wild (2nd place)1940s: Ghost and Mrs. Muir (1st place), Black Swan (2nd place)1950s: Carmen Jones (1st place), Desk Set (2nd place)1960s: North to Alaska (1st place), Undefeated (2nd place)

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Speaking of his Paramount years, I'd like to see a special edition for Hatari!. As I'm sure there are people who could talk about this film and somewhere deep in bowels of Paramount's vaults are some behind the scenes footage and other goodies as well.

I'd rather see Paramount put out the other Wayne films: In Harm's Way, Sons of Katie Elder, The Shootist, Island in the Sky and The High and the Mighty (though I realize Batjac may have something to say about the last two).

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I would love to see a Blu-ray for Island In The Sky - I discovered the film last year and it was just great.

There is a BD for The Shootist available from Germany - it's unfortunately pretty poor quality, but it does exist.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I'd rather see Paramount put out the other Wayne films: In Harm's Way, Sons of Katie Elder, The Shootist, Island in the Sky and The High and the Mighty (though I realize Batjac may have something to say about the last two).

In Harm's Way was in my post where I mentioned about Hatari!, or did you only read about Hatari! only?

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
In Harm's Way was in my post where I mentioned about Hatari!, or did you only read about Hatari! only?

You wanted a redo of Hatari with bonuses. I'd rather have more films. Only included In Harm's Way because it would be a new film release, not a redo of something already out.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Is BATJAC John Wayne's Company? why would they have something to say about the High and the Mighty? were there problems releasing it on DVD? Did they hold it up?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Is BATJAC John Wayne's Company? why would they have something to say about the High and the Mighty? were there problems releasing it on DVD? Did they hold it up?
Simply because they own it and control when and where it appears. Remember that BATJAC owned Hondo, too, and even though they have a perfectly good 3D rendering of it, the decision from them was to release it ONLY in 2D.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Simply because they own it and control when and where it appears. Remember that BATJAC owned Hondo, too, and even though they have a perfectly good 3D rendering of it, the decision from them was to release it ONLY in 2D.
These companies like BATJAC who refuse to release these films is perplexing to me. whaT they gain by not releasing them?

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
These companies like BATJAC who refuse to release these films is perplexing to me. whaT they gain by not releasing them?

It's hard to tell why companies with-hold releasing titles, most likely though it has to do with MONEY as it will cost a lot to restore the films.
It could also be that they might not see that there is a big demand for these films, and don't want to do MOD releases.

Either way in the end it just leaves us, the fans upset and possibly wanting to do bodily harm to whomever is charge of studios/companies for the delay in releases.

You wanted a redo of Hatari with bonuses. I'd rather have more films. Only included In Harm's Way because it would be a new film release, not a redo of something already out.

I'd like a re-release for Hatari!, because; well why not. His other films have been re-released countless times over, so why not this film again. This time around they could do a better remaster on it, as WB's release looks like Disney got a hold of it, very smuggy looking, nothing pops out. And second as I stated in a previous post, there's got to be someone who could talk about the making of his movie, it might not be one of his most known films, but it's still an enjoyable one none the less though.

I agree with you on In Harm's Way it should be released but, that's more likely to come from Criterion, not Paramount itself at this rate, as it's going to need a some number K remastering job, which means lots and lots of MONEY.

Last edited:

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
It's hard to tell why companies with-hold releasing titles, most likely though it has to do with MONEY as it will cost a lot to restore the films.
It could also be that they might not see that there is a big demand for these films, and don't want to do MOD releases.

Either way in the end it just leaves us, the fans upset and possibly wanting to do bodily harm to whomever is charge of studios/companies for the delay in releases.

I'd like a re-release for Hatari!, because; well why not. His other films have been re-leased countless times over, so why not this film again. This time around they could do a better remaster on it, as WB's release looks like Disney got a hold of it, very smuggy looking, nothing pops out. And second as I stated in a previous post, there's got to be someone who could talk about the making of his movie, it might not be one of his most known films, but it's still an enjoyable one none the less though.

I agree with you on In Harm's Way it should be released but, that's more likely to come from Criterion, not Paramount itself at this rate, as it's going to need a some number K remastering job, which means lots and lots of MONEY.
The streaming version of In Harm's Way looks quite nice and the film is black and white. It might be pretty much ready for a Blu-ray release now without too much more money invested.

MPW-112016

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
The streaming version of In Harm's Way looks quite nice and the film is black and white. It might be pretty much ready for a Blu-ray release now without too much more money invested.

Do have any screen-grabs we could see of the streamed version? As I'm sure there are people on here that would love to judge for themselves to see if they think this version is worthy to their standards of a Blu-ray release or not.​

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren

It begs the question, why would they not want to MOD a film? It's money in their pocket! Grrr.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Do have any screen-grabs we could see of the streamed version? As I'm sure there are people on here that would love to judge for themselves to see if they think this version is worthy to their standards of a Blu-ray release or not.​
I've watched the streaming version on Amazon....pretty impressive. Methinks the Blu-ray would be impressive as well but it's Paramount so we may well never know. Don't need screencaps as they're not the be-all-end-all, I trust my eyes to say the streaming HD transfer is very good. And it's free on Prime regularly.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan

Yup, I'm just waiting for that post that states that Paramount are going to start releasing some of their most wanted catalogue titles, or will start licensing them out...it could happen any day :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I'm sorta surprised In Harm's Way is not on Blu yet, it's one of the few from his Paramount years yet to be released, unless I missed it somewhere and its already been released by likes of either Kino or Olive Films.

It isn't merely for bonus features that a new HATARI! would be welcome...the PQ of this on the current Blu truly sucks. It's the worst-looking of all the Paramount/Wayne Blu-rays.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks