What's new

John Wayne on Warner Archive (1 Viewer)

johnjohnson

Auditioning
I have noticed some of the John Wayne titles such as McQ, Cahill, The Cowboys and Chisum don't seem to be available on Amazon at the moment. Will these be repressed, or are they OOP?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have noticed some of the John Wayne titles such as McQ, Cahill, The Cowboys and Chisum don't seem to be available on Amazon at the moment. Will these be repressed, or are they OOP?
It's possible that The Cowboys might get repressed, but the Blu-ray release was 16 years ago. The other three movies are Batjac titles which means they're controlled by the Wayne estate. Who knows if they ever get released again.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Those titles were released by Warner Brothers before Warner Archive assumed responsibility for catalog releases. I'm very glad that I have all four of them.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I remember being very disappointed with the Blu-ray of McQ, too much contrast & little or no grey-scale, it's as if Warner mastered it from a projection print (I don't have that Blu anymore). If it ever reappears, I hope it's a better looking transfer, it's a good late Wayne actioner.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
It's possible that The Cowboys might get repressed, but the Blu-ray release was 16 years ago. The other three movies are Batjac titles which means they're controlled by the Wayne estate. Who knows if they ever get released again.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure the only titles Batjac owns outright are 1) High and The Mighty, 2) Hondo, 3) McClintock, and 4) Island in The Sky. The 1970 JW films were produced by Batjac, but owned by Warners

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure the only titles Batjac owns outright are 1) High and The Mighty, 2) Hondo, 3) McClintock, and 4) Island in The Sky. The 1970 JW films were produced by Batjac, but owned by Warners
I hope you’re correct.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
The High and The Mighty, Hondo, McClintock, and Island In The Sky are all owned by Paramount.

Paramount owns half of John Wayne's filmography.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
The High and The Mighty, Hondo, McClintock, and Island In The Sky are all owned by Paramount.

Paramount owns half of John Wayne's filmography.
I believe Paramount has the distribution rights to those four films, but Batjac still retains ownership. I know once Michael Wayne passed away, his widow Gretchen Wayne finally arranged a deal with paramount to get those films released on home video.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
The High and The Mighty is on Amazon Prime and looks better than the DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks