What's new

Is it useless to pre-order or even buy Blu-rays etc on Amazon.com? (1 Viewer)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Didn't Warner Archives issue this favorite of mine on BD? https://www.blu-ray.com/The-Sorcerers/359958/

If yes, but if there's no chance of finding one for sale even used and at a sane price, any chance that Amazon or another reputable vendor (Kino, Timeless, ShoutFactory, et al) would offer it as a MOD BD-R disc?
No, Warner Archive only issued it on DVD. There is an overseas Blu release from Odeon.

maxfabien

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Walter
I had a big problem pre-ordering the Blu-ray 3-D release of "Robot Monster 70th Anniversary". I pre-ordered a month ahead of the release date. When the release date got closer, I got an email telling me the delivery date would be about a month after the release date. I was upset, but I decided to wait because the price was lower than other sources. That date came and went, no "Robot Monster 3-D". Amazon had no idea when I would receive it, but said I would be notified when info is known. Furious, I then checked DeepDiscount.com. There it was, in stock, for $2 less than Amazon's price! Of course I cancelled the Amazon order, bought it from DDC, and it arrived by USPS in 5 days.

Robert McNay

Agent
Real Name
Robert
I find myself laughing at the certain amount of arrogance in some folks that pre-order like it's something carved in stone.
They are basically complaining that, because they ticked a check box or added something to their list, that an item must be delivered on their timetable. They have paid nothing, to do it, no money has come out of their pocket. No guarantees have been expressed. Just the fact that they have expressed an interest to a website that they would like one, now the entities involved in it's production must must get into gear and produce the item "on time".
I can tell a lot of ya are not model builders. If you were, you would all be in homes for the apoplectic from waiting for a kit that was promised by a "pre order" listing on a website.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
My Target order of 3 Days of the Condor that I placed during the first week of July still hasn't been delivered. The release date was August 29th. Target by the way has sold out this title so I'm glad my order at least has shipped.

I'm glad that I just went with ordering Condor straight from Kino. I should be getting it tomorrow.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Didn't Warner Archives issue this favorite of mine on BD? https://www.blu-ray.com/The-Sorcerers/359958/

If yes, but if there's no chance of finding one for sale even used and at a sane price, any chance that Amazon or another reputable vendor (Kino, Timeless, ShoutFactory, et al) would offer it as a MOD BD-R disc?

Also, assuming Tino is correct about this forum being "tied" to Amazon, might the latter be persuaded by some number of members here to approach Disney for access to the Fox classics library, such as
https://livius1.com/2022/06/06/from-hell-to-texas/
https://www.blu-ray.com/5-Fingers/339098/
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Womans-World-Blu-ray/168313/

for release on MOD BD-R?
The Archive only released THE SORCERERS as a MOD disc in the US. The Blu-ray editions are European. (I reviewed the MOD discs of it and 5 FINGERS for the website of Cineaste magazine years ago.)

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I am a collector of Warner Brothers Archive DVDs & Blu-ray discs and have purchased about 80% of the discs Warner Archives has released over the last 15+ years.
However, in the last year, purchasing any Warner Archive Blu-ray releases has become almost impossible. Buying through Amazon has become a nightmare, I have had to wait as much as 5 months after the release date to receive a Blu-ray I have ordered.
On August 11, 2023, I pre-ordered the new release of Wichita starring Joel McCrea on Blu-ray for (19.99) from Amazon. It's now 12 days past the release date and Amazon is up to its old tricks. They are telling me they have no idea when the Blu-ray will be shipped to me. I'm a Prime Customer and when I ordered the Blu-ray disc, they said I would receive it within 2 shipping days of the release. Amazon is the distributor for your product but says they have no idea when & if they will receive any stock. However, a friend ordered the identical Blu-ray on August 27, 2023, for (25.58) and received it from Amazon 3 days later.
This is all part of Amazon's Scam of offering new releases for discount prices, but not filling the discounted orders until the newer orders with higher prices have been filled.
In July I pre-ordered the 4K release of Warner Rio Bravo with John Wayne. It's been 3 months, and I am still waiting to receive it.
This is terrible service from Amazon and from Warner Bros who choose to distribute their Archive releases through Amazon.
Generally speaking, I view pre-ordering as pointless. Pre-orders are designed to create the illusion of scarcity, as in "get this before it's all sold out," when that will likely not be the case until several years after release. If you're dissatisfied with Amazon's handling of WAC releases, I suggest you try MovieZyng.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I stopped doing pre orders with amazon months ago. Too erratic for my taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks