What's new

JBL Questions! (1 Viewer)

Bill Mullin

Stunt Coordinator
I've just moved. My old setup was a set of S36II's, a 2nd set of S36II's as my surrounds, an S-Center II, and an SVS 16-46PC+ sub. This setup sounded sensational in my small HT.

The new house is much larger, so I'd like to upgrade my front speakers. The JBL "Northridge" E80's look good and Onecall had decent prices, so I was considering these. Will the E80's be a good audio match for the S-Center II and the S-36II surrounds, even though I'm mixing Studio and Northridge series speakers?

Speaking about the Studio Series, I'm not finding the larger Studio speakers for sale anywhere. Has JBL abandoned this fine line of home speakers?

Note that I plan to use the leftover S36's to upgrade my system to 7.1 sound! I also intend to add a 2nd matching SVS 16-46PC+ to the system - I'll probably never leave the house again! :D

- Bill

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member

The current Studio II series is discontinued, and will be replaced in 2004 with a new Studio series. The Studio II series is still available in parts, and classic pieces like the S38IIs are going fast. The Northridge E series replaces the Northridge II series.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I think the E series is replacing both the Northridge II and the Studio classic series. I might try to get a pair of the S38s if you can. I have those for my left and right mains and have been very pleased with them. You might want to check Harmon-Kardon's eBay offerings. I picked up my s38s from them a few months ago.

Nathan Bjork

Stunt Coordinator
Bill,

Are you ok with buying online? I dont think you will find any Studio series floor standers at any local store. Heres a S312II
It will match your S-Center perfecly and the 12" woofer should make up for the dual 6" the E80's have. At $224 each and free shipping w/ NO sales tax since its in NY, its a good deal. I have also had a very good experince with B&H heard very good things about them. You can also get them here Best Prive AV but w/ out free shipping. The S36II through the S412's have a 1" tweeter and the E80's have the 3/4". I dont know how much of a differnce that would make, but it would really bother me just to think of it.

Todd,

How are the refurbished S38's? I was thinking about getting a pair of N24II's to complete my 7.1 system (currently have 5.1- S-CenterII, main-S38II, surrounds- N26II).

Sam_P

Agent
Damn man the E90's were just on sale at Best Buy for 300/ea with free shpping.

From what I heard at Best Buy the E90s sounded noticeably better than the E80's.

Bill Mullin

Stunt Coordinator
That would bother me too, I'm one of those who really like bright sounds!

While browsing, I found this: ND310II. It looks just like what I want, but doesn't say it is a Studio Series. Does anyone know anything about this speaker?

Thanks everyone for all the great information!

- Bill

Gary Shipley

Second Unit
Hi Bill. The ND-310II are the Northridge series. I have the earlier series which was the ND-310. They sound great. They have 2 10" woofers. Still, I set them at small and use a JBLpb12 for the bottom end. And yes, JBL will be introducing a new studio line in the spring. As for mixing the S series and the N series, I have a S-center with my ND-310's. Unless you have a golden ear(noticing the tiniest distiction in timber change)you won't be dissappointed. I know I'm not. As it has been said countless times in this forum, its what sounds good to you that counts.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
Nathan,

The speakers have been great - no problems or issues whatsoever.

EDIT: I heard that basically the new Studio series will be identical to the old (a few cosmetic things notwithstanding) but at a higher price point.

Bill Mullin

Stunt Coordinator
But then I'd be paying extra for a pair of powered subwoofers that I'd never use. I'm starting to think it might not be a bad idea to keep running the old S36II's while waiting for the new Studio Series to be released. The 36's are awfully small for the large HT room I'm now using, but I can live with that for a month or two. :)

- Bill

Nathan Bjork

Stunt Coordinator
Well the S36II's do have a 1" Tweeter and 4" Midrange, and if you are going to have ur speakers set to "small" then they shouldn't do to bad.

I have the S38II's that I bought about 1 1/2 weeks ago for 239/pr, and they work great. But they are set up in my 10x10 room. You can get them at one call, brand new, and cheaper that refurbished price.

Bill Mullin

Stunt Coordinator
I just checked with Onecall and was told that they had sold ALL Studio Series speakers.

I've sent an E-mail to JBL customer support asking when the new Studio Series will be on the market. When (if) they respond, I'll post their message here.

Nathan Bjork

Stunt Coordinator
Wow those went fast, Im glad I bought them.

Getting the new line of the studios would probly be your best bet because I cant find the S38II/S310II anywhere! even online. The only problem is that they will be really expensive compared to the "SII" series.

Good luck Bill

greg_t

Screenwriter

Let me know what you decide to do with the extra S36's. I have two already, but could use another for a center surround.

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
I also got Studios recently before they were all gone. Glad I did :D

Bill, another member on this forum, Mike~Sileck, managed to get his hands on a pair of S312II in the last couple of days. I recommend you PM him and find out where he got them from.

Bill Mullin

Stunt Coordinator
It's tempting, but then I've about decided to stick with the S36's until the new JBL Studio Series is out. Thanks for the tip though. BTW - how do you like your S310's?

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
I absolutely love the S310IIs - they have plenty have bottom end, amazing mids and highs, and the imaging is incredible with a pair of these. These babies are the best part of my HT, second only to my AVR (the Yamaha has gotta be the best part of the entire set up).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks