What's new

Speaker to amp wiring question (1 Viewer)

Mredwards

Agent
Real Name
Matt
Receiver: HT-R540
2 Speakers: JBL SP6CII

Receiver is rated as
120w + 120w (8ohm Front)
170w + 170w (4 ohm, Front)

Speakers are 8 ohm
Speaker spec says: maximum recommended amp power is 80w

Im trying to use this old home theater receiver to power these brand new JBL speakers I just got. I will be using them for music only.

1. Do I put both of these speakers on one wire to get the wattage down to 60 each?
2. Do even need to worry about wattage being way over as long as the ohms are correct?
3. Does the "120w + 120w" mean left and right front?

Thanks!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
1) NO NO NO NO NO NEVER NO NO.

In case that wasn’t clear... NO.

There are two channels, left and right. They have to stay as left and right and that can’t happen if you connect one to both speakers. One connection, one speaker. Period.

2) Don’t worry about it.

3) Refer to #2.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Any amplifier can put out anywhere between 0 watts and its maximum rating (120 watts in this case). It’s all done with the volume control. Zero watts in this case would be with the volume control turned all the way down.

Get the picture?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Mredwards

Agent
Real Name
Matt
Thanks guys! Thanks for the answers and the warm welcoming. I look forward to interacting more!

Mredwards

Agent
Real Name
Matt
I need to run 40ft of speaker wire to make it to my receiver. Do you all see any issues with that length wire? From the research I've done its right on the edge of being ok so wanted to get some experienced answers.
8 ohms speakers
16 gauge speaker wire

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I assume this is for surround speakers? Most agree that 14 ga. wire would be better, but for the past couple of years, for reasons I won’t get into, I’ve been using 18 ga. wire that long or longer for my 4-ohm back surrounds. Not ideal, but it works fine.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yet, 12ga OFC wire can be found rather cheap. So, why save $20? Doesn’t seem worth it to me.

Mredwards

Agent
Real Name
Matt
This is for two in ceiling speaker that are going to go in the living room with the receiver hidden in a utility closet. Just a left and right stereo for music.
I got a great deal on the speakers so im using the speaker wire and receiver from my existing home theater so wire is free:rock:.

Last edited:

Mredwards

Agent
Real Name
Matt
Short story: Any suggestion on brand of 12g ofc from Amazon? I found a shorter path and 30-50 total will be more than enough.

Long story: Yall sold me on just buying new wire. I have had to reconfigure my path because I couldn't get through the middle of my house between the floors bc I have a modular home. There is what seems to be a steel plate where they brought the two sides of the house together. I found a much easier path that required me cut an access in the wall of the upstairs (wife was less than thrilled), which is why I didn't go this route in the first place.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Monoprice is always safe. As mentioned, it’s best to use CL2 if it’s going through a wall.

Mredwards

Agent
Real Name
Matt
1587336125224588843441033741476.jpg

Thanks y'all for all the help! Speakers are installed and jamming to them as I type :thumbs-up-smiley:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks