What's new

What's a good replacement for my beloved Energy C-6s? (1 Viewer)

bukun

Agent
Real Name
brian
So I used to be very into home theater with dedicated rooms and automation and all that jazz way back in the day in Texas. But we've moved several times including out to Hawaii for a few years and everything HT just fell by the wayside. We've finally settled back down a bit here in LA while my kids are acting, so I expect we will be here for a while. I'm wanting to rebuild and luckily, the house we are renting has what used to be a recording studio garage conversion out back. It's soundproof and sound treated, which is awesome. I just need to fill it up with gear. I'll probably start out with a decent receiver while I research all my options for separates and other gear. First up is speakers and a projector.

Back in the day I was running a pair of Energy C-6's up front and I loved them. I had the AC-300 center for a long time and then I eventually built my own center that was pretty close to the 300 overall.

I'm looking for some advice from those that have been around for a while to find some current speakers that match the Energy set pretty well since it took me a while to settle on them and be happy with the sound. It's possible that my tastes (and hearing) have changed since then, but it seems like the best starting point for a pretty subjective part of the system.

Thanks in advance and cheers.
b.

bukun

Agent
Real Name
brian
Sorry. Forgot that part. ;)

Nothing set. I guess I'm kind of looking for the point where things start showing real diminishing returns. I want good home theater performance. Im not worried about music or stereo. I will be adding at least one sub. I want to get good bang for the buck but not afraid to spend up if it's worth it.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The point where I consider diminishing returns might be different from where you consider it to be. The Energy C6's weren't particularly expensive, and were just two-way. As Sam said, KEF or SVS Prime (or Ultra for a step up), but there's also Paradigm (who has a vast speaker line), and that's just scratching the surface. I suspect a close comparison in the lines of what I often recommend is the ELAC Debut v2 line, or you can step up to three-way with the ELAC UniFi v2 line. Those are frequently on sale, BTW.

bukun

Agent
Real Name
brian
The point where I consider diminishing returns might be different from where you consider it to be. The Energy C6's weren't particularly expensive, and were just two-way. As Sam said, KEF or SVS Prime (or Ultra for a step up), but there's also Paradigm (who has a vast speaker line), and that's just scratching the surface. I suspect a close comparison in the lines of what I often recommend is the ELAC Debut v2 line, or you can step up to three-way with the ELAC UniFi v2 line. Those are frequently on sale, BTW.
I've heard good things about the elac line, but I haven't been able to hear them yet. Ill try and find a set to check out.

The c6s we not pricy, but they were kind of a sweet spot for me for home theater with a sub and a center doing a lot of the work. That was a long time ago, so I need to get out and do some more listening to see what's what now.

Back in the day, I didn't like the sound of the paradigms as much as the energy speakers, but its been long enough that I dont remember exactly why. Ill give them a listen again but I do remember comparing them when I bought the energy set.

Thanks for the suggestions.

bukun

Agent
Real Name
brian
Svs prime
Kef
Monoprice
I had some svs subs way back when that i really liked, but I dont know much about their speakers. Ill check them out.

Kef was always a little fatiguing to me, but my taste may have changed.

I dont know anything about the monoprice speakers, so ill check them out as well.

Thanks!

bukun

Agent
Real Name
brian
I just want to steer away from 50% more money getting 5% better sound. That break point is what I'm looking for. I probably wouldn't want to go much above 5k for the front 3 without having an excellent reason to do so, but id be happy to find something that costs less that gets the job done.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've heard good things about the elac line, but I haven't been able to hear them yet. Ill try and find a set to check out.

The c6s we not pricy, but they were kind of a sweet spot for me for home theater with a sub and a center doing a lot of the work. That was a long time ago, so I need to get out and do some more listening to see what's what now.

Back in the day, I didn't like the sound of the paradigms as much as the energy speakers, but its been long enough that I dont remember exactly why. Ill give them a listen again but I do remember comparing them when I bought the energy set.

Thanks for the suggestions.
I would say the ELAC Debut v2 is pretty much equivalent to the Energys. They should have better imaging though, when set up properly. I do recommend an SVS sub, or HSU. I prefer the sealed SVS models personally, regardless of if they are for music or movies.

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
I’ve been a Paradigm devotee for at least thirty years. I finally sold my midsized pair when I found a very good deal on floorstanding units at a local estate sale. We frequent estate sales for artwork but over the years I’ve seen some exceptional discounts on high end speakers in the tonier parts of the city. The Paradigms don’t have blistering highs or subwoofer lows as a rule (the larger floorstanding almost substitute for a sub, but by that time you’re into very expensive territory). I just have liked their overall neutrality and balance. In my secondary system (with the 50” 3-D television), I have some nice KEFs that are detailed and can play louder than I need, along with a Klipsch wireless sub. I’ve read good things about ELAC, and of course B&W models are always reliably worthy of consideration. My 2 cents; good luck!

bukun

Agent
Real Name
brian
I’ve been a Paradigm devotee for at least thirty years. I finally sold my midsized pair when I found a very good deal on floorstanding units at a local estate sale. We frequent estate sales for artwork but over the years I’ve seen some exceptional discounts on high end speakers in the tonier parts of the city. The Paradigms don’t have blistering highs or subwoofer lows as a rule (the larger floorstanding almost substitute for a sub, but by that time you’re into very expensive territory). I just have liked their overall neutrality and balance. In my secondary system (with the 50” 3-D television), I have some nice KEFs that are detailed and can play louder than I need, along with a Klipsch wireless sub. I’ve read good things about ELAC, and of course B&W models are always reliably worthy of consideration. My 2 cents; good luck!
Ah. I forgot about the B&Ws. I did really like those back in the day. Maybe I'll give them another listen soon as well. Thanks!

bukun

Agent
Real Name
brian
Does the three way make a big difference when the mids and the woofers are the same drivers? I'm more used to seeing them be different sizes.

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
Does the three way make a big difference when the mids and the woofers are the same drivers? I'm more used to seeing them be different sizes.
It’s going to depend on how their design is tuned and implemented. I’ve seen reviews over the years that lead me to believe as long as the drivers are well integrated, you won’t experience a gap or dropouts in frequency response. Of course each unit will image differently as well. You might reference Stereophile’s annual recommended components to see their recommendations as a starting point.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
They're not the same drivers. They are just coincident, with a physically and electronically independent tweeter placed in the middle of the midrange. This has many phase benefits by having the sound from both come from the same location.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I guess I read that wrong. I'm not sure which speaker you're referring to. The Debut is a traditional two way. The Uni-Fi is a true three way, but with coincident tweeter and midrange. Though the tweeter is physically at the center of the midrange, they are still separate drivers in every way.

It's a design Andrew Jones (who designed both lines) has used before at KEF, and Jim Thiel started using 20 or so years ago.

bukun

Agent
Real Name
brian
I guess I read that wrong. I'm not sure which speaker you're referring to. The Debut is a traditional two way. The Uni-Fi is a true three way, but with coincident tweeter and midrange. Though the tweeter is physically at the center of the midrange, they are still separate drivers in every way.

It's a design Andrew Jones (who designed both lines) has used before at KEF, and Jim Thiel started using 20 or so years ago.
Thanks. I didn't even notice that the mid and tweeter in that model were coincident. That looks great. But I'm surprised that the uni-fi doesn't use the 6.25 woofers like the debut since it has the bridging 4 to cover any gaps. I know that in the past I have been partial to 6s as a good size to get some extension while also being a good place for voice audio ranges. Of course the size of the driver is only one consideration, but the uni-fis are rated at a slightly higher low-end. That said, they know what they are doing and I'm relying on fuzzy memory from 15-20 years ago. ;) I'll find a place to give them a listen.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Thanks. I didn't even notice that the mid and tweeter in that model were coincident. That looks great. But I'm surprised that the uni-fi doesn't use the 6.25 woofers like the debut since it has the bridging 4 to cover any gaps. I know that in the past I have been partial to 6s as a good size to get some extension while also being a good place for voice audio ranges. Of course the size of the driver is only one consideration, but the uni-fis are rated at a slightly higher low-end. That said, they know what they are doing and I'm relying on fuzzy memory from 15-20 years ago. ;) I'll find a place to give them a listen.
If you look at the construction of the Uni-Fi woofer vs. the Debut, they are much more substantial, domed, single piece aluminum, which means they can simply be driven a lot harder. The the Uni-Fi woofer is actually more capable, despite its smaller diameter. but, if you want, the Uni-Fi reference bookshelves have a larger woofer.

bukun

Agent
Real Name
brian
yeah. I leaning toward the elacs, and I'm going to try them both out to see which one I like.

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
I just bought the Elacs Debut 2.0 B6.2 6-1/2" woofer & 1" tweeter bookshelves and the Elac Debut 2.0 C6.2 Center channel. They sound great and are affordable. The Debut Reference speakers are said to be even better. As far as a 3 way, unless it's absolutely needed, I rather stick to a simpler 2 way design. Less to get screwed up with crossovers and the such. Elac's tower speakers with the same drivers is a 3 way and I guess they are pretty good. I think they went 3 way mainly for frequency accuracy.

As far as subwoofer, I jumped on the SVS SB-2000 12" "SEALED" subwoofer as the sealed do better with fast attacking music as drum rolls. They brought this older model back for a limited time and now they are gone. I have 4 ported subs sitting in storage and one ported Klipsch 12" sub on my smaller media room system. The Klipsch ported sub just can't keep up with the faster music like the SVS sealed sub can. Plus I have room shaking bass with the SVS where the Klipsch doesn't come close to that in the low bass.

Without knowing your room size, you can get decent ported subs for movies from SVS. They aren't as accurate as a Sealed sub but I guess you don't need that in movies.

If you're using the whole garage as your HT and it's big, then maybe a SVS PB-3000 or PB-4000. If you're keeping your costs lower, the maybe a PB-1000 or PB-2000 would be better. The SVS 1000 subwoofers use a smaller voice coil and don't have shorting rings so they won't offer the performance of the upper models.

Good luck.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
FWIW, if you're serious about the ELACs and might really want floorstanders, their current sale seems better than usual for those (whether the Debut or Uni-Fi 2.0s).

Also, if interested, they've apparently put the "Reference" versions (of both) on sale as well, which I don't recall seeing on sale before.

You mentioned having kids, but not sure if they're still fairly young or not, but if still fairly young, might wanna give extra consideration to floorstanders. My sense (and experience) is younger kids, maybe even in their early teens, are quite likely to mess around and/or accidentally bump into speakers and knock bookshelf ones off their stands, especially if placed (ideally) well away from walls... unless they're somehow firmly coupled to very sturdy (probably fairly hefty) stands. That's one (additional) reason I've gone w/ floordstanders (or similar) over the years... and budget floorstanders like the ELACs don't seem to compromise on sound quality like they used to more than a couple decades ago... although they do cost substantially more than the bookshelves...

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks