What's new

James Cameron's "Ghosts Of The Abyss" Return to Titanic (1 Viewer)

Joe Schwartz

Second Unit
Tino, aside from the 3D, how good was the resolution? I'm leery of seeing an IMAX film sourced from digital video cameras. Were the individual pixels visible on that huge screen?

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
I saw the 35mm presentation today and was very impressed. With the film that is, not the 3-D.

It's not that the 3-D was badly done, it just wasn't necessary, It didn't add anything to the impact of the story or th eimages we were watching. Just as in the past, the 3-D of the film was TOO 3-D, an almost hyper-reality which was more gimicky than it needed to be.

It's funny, I read that Jim will be shooting his next film in 3-D. But, he was also quoted as saying that he told Fox to dump plans for 'Aliens Vs. Predator' because that was gimicky and something you do at the end of a franchise. Does he not realize 3-D is as gimmicky? Does it enhance the story, the characters or the themes? No, it's an effect just like all the other effects, and in my opinion not a very good one.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Joe

FWIW, I thought the resolution was fine and I didn't notice any pixelation at all.

Also, the 3D glasses are of a new variety, not like the typical big IMAX 3D headsets, but more akin to sunglasses. Much more comfortable to wear.

As to whether the film needed to be in 3D, I personally think that it was neither necessary nor unnecessary. I mean it was cool and made the film more "immersive" but I agree that it is ultimately gimmicky and really doesn't add much to the power of the story of Titanic. A 2D version would be just as powerful.

I'll be seeing it again soon BTW.;)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I guess i'll find out what your talking about Tino, Jerry and I are seeing it this Saturday at the IMAX theater in Baltimore MD. We did our homework and found out that this particular theater is in the full 1570 format, which is just a fancy way of saying that it's 70mm film turned on it's side.

On a personal note though, i've never liked 3D films for the simple reason that I don't find them all that convincing. I mean aside from the auditorium suddenly standing vertically on end while everyone topples forward towards the screen leaving everyone else hanging from the cieling next to the theaters baker, I don't need 3D to enjoy a film.

Sorry Tino, you know I love TITANIC, but I just got through watching Dennis Miller's new HBO special and am feeling a little extra referrential tonight. :D

Joe Schwartz

Second Unit
I guess i'll find out what your talking about Tino, Jerry and I are seeing it this Saturday at the IMAX theater in Baltimore MD. We did our homework and found out that this particular theater is in the full 1520 format, which is just a fancy way of saying that it's 70mm film turned on it's side.
John, isn't that the IMAX format that's shown in all IMAX theaters? I'm a little confused by your description.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
The wife and I returned from said Baltimore auditorium for the early showing of Ghosts of the Abyss. It was worth the long drive and the early rising.

Whether the 3D was gimmicky or not, it did NOT detract from the smooth unfurling of the narrative. The picture was rather excellent, and the shots were just brilliant. The story is as powerful as ever. I wish it could have been a bit longer, but it moves smoothly and comfortably, so no worries there.

Seeing those images that large is really something to behold. Paxton is a good choice as the everyman to journey with the scientists and techs to the wreck, the cipher for the audience.

I really, really enjoyed the experience, and I expect to do it again soon.

9/10

As for Jim Cameron working 3D, he's done it QUITE effectively before with T2 3D at Universal. This doc doesn't lend itself to dramatic uses of 3D. If any director could make it work in an actual film, it's Jim Cameron. I was struck by how much I miss his directorial efforts after GotA was finished. There are many directors who make a mean, lean, tense rollercoaster film, but none of them nearly as good as Jim Cameron.

Here's to hoping he's behind a film soon...

Take care,
Chuck

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Well I disagree that the 3-D was 'useless.'

The 3-D was used to show you a vision of the Titanic like never before. Though I have always known the ship was huge, it was the 3-D presentation that really gave you insight to just how huge it was. It also provided a 'reality' to the wreckage more so than what any other presentation of the wreckage has done. I was very happy with the effect ONCE they were under water...

The three biggest draw backs on the film for me and what have made the film a 2 :star: movie for me instead of a 4...

1) Bill Paxton-Normally, he only gets on my nerves. This time, he took a pitchfork to them and simply continued to poke me...A lot what he had to say wasn't needed and honestly I found boring.

2) Missed Opportunities-I wish that more time I had been spent under the water. The surface stories were useless and really the star of the show was the wreck. There is so much more that could have been shown. There are also many shots that come to mind that would have been great in 3-D. (For example...their computer animation of the ship crashing into the ocean floor. They could have had a great shot of the Titanic landing on the bottom and then sliding toward the camera to where the ship was coming toward you and then to a complete stop. While some might say that this would be a gimmick...3-D in itself is the gimmick and the whole idea of the format, while to show depth, is also to show things coming at you...)

3) Those damn robots-The whole subplot with them was nothing but a useless story arc that did nothing but make me laugh out loud. Say that they couldn't have been recovered...what...Linda Hamilton doesn't get a alimony payment next month. Was simply an unneeded part what was a very serious look at this tragedy.

I really hope that when this project comes to DVD, that there is more footage of the Titanic.

The best parts of the footage was that of the grand staircase (it is amazing how much of it is still there), the 'ghost' images, and the 'tribute' to the lives that were lost was very moving and took great advantage of the format.)

Joe Schwartz

Second Unit
Thanks for those links, Jerry. All of the IMAX theaters on that list use the 15/70 format. There are many non-IMAX theaters listed that use the 8/70 format -- do any of them show IMAX films? Does IMAX even produce their films in the 8/70 format?

Anyway, if you're watching an IMAX film in an IMAX theater, I think you can safely assume it's 15/70.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
James Cameron's Ghosts Of The Abyss

I am somewhat mixed about this documentary. The visuals are no doubt striking but on the other hand, there really wasn’t anything enlightening or informative about the material. This could be due to the numerous other deep-sea explorations of the Titanic that I have already seen and read elsewhere. I also did not care for Bill Paxton going gaga over and over again as he presented his comments. I would have preferred a more authoritative viewpoint.

James Cameron made a wise decision to limit the 3-D effects out of respect to the material at hand and in order that the entire presentation did not become a gimmick with a bunch of audience members trying to grab something in front of them out of thin air. Nevertheless, this did not stop some of the younger audience members from doing so but on a more restrained level. The 3-D was effectively used to provide additional viewpoints from various camera angles thereby achieving the level of seriousness towards the material.

Overall, a mixed recommendation from me as I would have liked to have learned something new.

~Edwin

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

There was? I didn't see any remnants of it. I was under the impression that while shooting 'Titanic' Cameron came up with a theory that it was so buoyant that it ripped out on its own.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Chad's right, their is nothing left of the foreward Grand Staircase but a big hole that goes down several decks, and the colums that made up the rooms.

When the glass and rod iron dome over the staircase collapsed it sent tons of water crashing down onto the staircase and caused it to actually rip from it's fundation, whatever was left over was eaten away by wood consuming sea organisms.

Incidentally, the same exact thing happened to the set of the Grand staircase on Cameron's Titanic when the set was flooded.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Boy, what a day we had! We went to Baltimore and saw the film twice and spent the whole day down their and had a blast!

Now, down to business...

I loved it! I found the film to be very moving and well done, I have seen countless hours of footage of TITANIC's remains in my lifetime...but I have never really seen them. Meaning that seeing them on a scale such as we saw made me realize just what it's like to really go down and see her, it was like taking a trip to the moon here on Earth. Seeing her two massive reciprocating engines, I couldn't help but be reminded of the two king statues from The Lord of the Rings, the parralel was undeniable.

Bill Paxton was both funny and sensitive to the material, the audience laughed at times when I did not, because I could see it in his face...he was genuinly afraid! But when he was funny he was really funny, when he found out how much the battery for the sub costs, he replied "Would you take a check?" if they had to drop it and haul ass back to the surface if they had to. :laugh:

The ghostly overlays of reenactors onto the wreck was nothing short of a stroke of genius! Looking at them, one knew EXACTLY where they were and what had happened on that very spot, and I have to admit, it really moved me. I also really liked that they were able to rescue the robot "Elwood" from inside TITANIC when his battery went dead, looking at the cgi path they took to retrieve him, I never fully appreciated just how far inside they went.

The only problem I had with the film was the sudden and rather jarring removal from the wreck back to the surface at a key moment in the film. IMO once they arrived at the bottom, they should have stayed their for the films duration. And as for the 3D efect, it was amazing! I swear that I could reach out and touch those bubbles and that claw arm early on! Very well done, the best 3D i've ever seen by far.

An announcer came on the PA system before the show and told us that James Cameron himself was their last week for a premiere and told the manager that this was the BEST presentation of the film he had seen...in the entire country!! :eek:

In closing, this is for you mostly Tino, I would rate todays experience right up their with seeing the big piece and the exhibit in Atlantic City that day and touching TITANIC with my bare hand (I don't think I told you that Tino, I actually touched one of TITANIC's davits that day when nobody was looking), a feeling of being so completely and utterly close to TITANIC that I might as well have been their, and thanks to this film...I was.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Glad you enjoyed it so much John. I have since seen it again, enjoying it even more without previous high expectations. And while I don't think it's the best 3D I have ever seen, I agree that it does make you feel as though you were right there. I think if they had filmed this in the "traditional" IMAX 3D process, requiring the bigger 3D headsets, the effect would have been much better.

And apparently James Cameron really appreciates the contributions of Don Lynch and Ken Marschall as they both portrayed Thomas Andrews and Bruce Ismay respectively in GOTA.

And BTW, John, I too touched the Titanic davits and the "big piece" in the AC exhibit. Couldn't resist.;)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Well, Jim wasn't there when I was, John. I'd have cornered him until security dragged me away!

Good interview as well. Thanks for sharing, Louis. If ya'll haven't gathered, Jim's my favorite, and it's been a LOOOOONG while since he's been in the public eye. It's good to hear from him, and see what he's thinking. I look forward to seeing GotA again in the next few weeks at least once more on IMAX. It got me thinking how wonderful it would be to see the film on IMAX (with the required intermission). You never know...

Take care,
Chuck

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Chuck,

I assumed that they were talking about a special private screening that they had their. I just know what the guy on the PA system told me, maybe he was full of it. ;)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Either way, the presentation was tremendous! I am sure he was there...I just wish it had been the early Sunday show!!!!!

Take care,
Chuck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks