James Cameron's "Ghosts Of The Abyss" Return to Titanic

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Tino, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    For all you Titanic fans out there, here is a sequel of sorts. James Cameron returns to the famous wreck with Bill Paxton and a boatload of experts and state of the art technology to create a new documentary/adventure,

Filmed in IMAX 3D, Cameron was able to go into the Titanic as never before and document and record every inch of her, inside and out, using this new technology developed especially for this expedition.

Being a big Titanic buff, I am really looking forward to this. Anyone else?

Opening April 11 2003 at an IMAX theater near you.

2. Scott McGillivray

Scott McGillivray Supporting Actor

Sounds cool. I had heard about this a long time ago and was wondering what its status was.

I had thought that Cameron was going to look at other famous wrecks and not the Titanic. Or maybe he is doing that ship plus others? Do you have a link to more info on this film?

3. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    Cameron recently produced and co-directed a Discovery Channel special on the Bismarck which icluded dramatic re-enactments. As far as I know he is not planning on visiting other wrecks.

I'll try and find some links.

4. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

He should be back in hollywood directing movies. There seems to be a Sci-Fi renaissance going on, why isn't he part of it [​IMG] [​IMG]

--
    Holadem

5. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    Here is some more info I dug up on the film and the companion book.

In the late summer of 2001, James Cameron, director producer of the highest grossing film in Hollywood, Titanic, led a new deep diving expedition to the wreck of the lost liner Titanic. With him was a team of underwater explorers that included famed artist Ken Marschall, historian Don Lynch and two actors from the film, Bill Paxton and Lewis Abernathe who played Brock Lovett and Lewis Bodine.

Their equipment included state of the art digital 3D cameras, a pair of Remotely Operated Vehicles (ROV's) and a specially built deep water lighting platform that illuminated the fabled ship as never before. In a series of historic dives, they filmed deep inside the ghostly liner, obtaining never before seen images.

On April 11, 2003, this remarkable journey into the heart of the Titanic will be presented coast to coast in the digital giant screen 3D IMAX film Ghosts Of The Abyss.

For those who will be drawn anew to the story of Titanic as well as those who have never stopped being fascinated by the ships tragic fate, the companion book Ghost Of The Abyss will be a revelation in pictures and words. Cameron compellingly describes just what keeps him returning to the Titanic, and the meticulous journals kept during the dives form a dramatic adventure narrative.

But what will truly astonish are new incredibly vivid images from within the ships staterooms and public rooms, matched with archival images from 1912 and new painting and diagrams. A then and now gallery that captures as never before the drama and legend of Titanic.

The companion book is released on March 25, 2003.

Here is a link to the one sheet poster at ain-it-cool:

http://aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=14499

6. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    Tino,
    I saw a trailer for this IMAX film this weekend at Planet Hollywood. I am sold! Thanks for providing some detailed info. HIs Bismarck special was top-notch [​IMG]

Take care,
    Chuck

7. Dominik Droscher

Dominik Droscher Supporting Actor

The trailer is now on apple.com. Looks fantastic, I hope it won't take too long until I will be able to watch this in Germany.

8. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Unfortunately our commercial IMAX got rid of its IMAX affiliation because...there's no money in it commercially [​IMG]

I really can't stand Omnimax presentation, it gives me panic attacks with all the gigantic high(altitude) shots they tend to use. IMAX I can deal, Omnimax and it's all over ;(

9. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    Here is some more information regarding the distribution of Ghosts Of The Abyss:

The roughly 45 minute large format film will be recomposed into a 90 minute program for ancillary distribution.

Buena Vista Distribution aquired theatrical distribution rights to the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom and will release the film in select 35mm venues that have been reformatted as sort of an intermediate-size large-screen venue as well as the typical large format exhibition.

from www.earthship.tv

10. Dan M

Dan M Second Unit

I look forward too seeing this when it (hopefully) comes to the Science Museum of Virginia here in Richmond. Sounds great.

11. MikeRS

MikeRS Screenwriter

Cameron's cool. I'll definitely catch this.

12. Sean Laughter

Sean Laughter Screenwriter

13. John^Lal

John^Lal Stunt Coordinator

Besides Pirahna II the Spawning, since i haven't seen it, he has yet to make a bad movie, he should definately be out there making movies. and that means more influence than he had on Solaris as a producer

14. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I'm in.

Yeah I'd like to see another Cameron Hollywood Blockbuster but I'll respect that he wanted to do this, and go see it!

15. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

Personally, I don't care for Cameron and could care less if he makes another film (not like he needs the cash), yet I am utterly amazed by the tragedy of the Titanic. If it comes to Charlotte, I will be there as well.

16. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

The trailer looks amazing - I wonder if the "ghost people" effect will be used in the movie as well - very cool!

17. Dan M

Dan M Second Unit

Sean,

Thanks for the info!

18. Jim Robbins

Jim Robbins Stunt Coordinator

The movie it says will be shown at special 3D theaters(not just IMAX). Does anyone know what the system is? It better be more than the cheap system used in the 70's where two images were on one 35MM film and shown with an ordinary projector. Those systems were very dim and really bad. If 3D is done right as Disney, IMAX and Sony does it, it could be very good. It takes a hell of a light source and a excellent silver screen to make up for the filters used with 3D.

19. DonMac

DonMac Stunt Coordinator

This documentary's title really threw me off. When I saw the name in this thread's subject, the first thing I thought was "Cameron is making a sequel to The Abyss!"

[​IMG]

20. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    This film is being released this Friday for anyone interested. Anyone hear or see any reviews yet? I'll be seeing it on Saturday or Sunday.