What's new

It's time for a DAZED AND CONFUSED SE !!! (1 Viewer)

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
One of my friends just borowed this from me and just realized how bare bones the existing edition is.

This is one of my favorite movies and it has launched many careers. Linklater has never made a better movie I feel and a commentary track for this would be amazing ...

Matthew McConaughey still has not topped this performance in any other movie, neither did Adam Goldberg or Ben Affleck (ok ... he was pretty good in Changing Lanes)

A classic in need of a serious overhaul on DVD!

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
Here here! I'm a HUGE fan of this film, it DOES have a massive fanbase (before my local repetory house was an art house theater, this movie played a midnight show for EIGHT months!), and it is very poorly represented on DVD. First things first, it needs a new 16x9 transfer.
I remember a bootleg version of "Dazed and Confused" being sold on a website years ago, with a runtime of about 125 minutes, roughly 25 minutes longer than the theatrical release. I'd love for Linklater to resurrect this for a deleted scenes section.
"Matthew McConaughey still has not topped this performance in any other movie."
I loved him in this film, but I must disagree: I URGE you to check out "Thirteen Conversations about One Thing" when it's released in November. :)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
That's the problem with dinky old bare-bones releases:
We keep getting older, while they stay the same age. ;)
This is one flick I've ALWAYS loved, yet I always bypass the DVD cuz an SE seems inevitable. I'm still waiting...

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
You know what they would get if they made an SE of this film...
some more change for their pocket ;)
This film was the most requested LD around our place back when it first came out. Everyone who saw it wanted to see it again. And yet I didn't buy the lame DVD since its non-anamorphic AND DD 2.0 instead of PCM. Explain that one to me. Its so bare they probably have room for 12 audio tracks and they couldn't make the one track PCM instead of compressed DD? Arggghhh. That alone makes a music-intensive film like this a non-purchase.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
This definitely needs a re-release. It has a huge fan base, i'm actually quite suprised there hasn't been any news of a new edition of the film. I haven't bought the disc for reasons listed above, but count me as someone who would buy this in an instant. There are good reasons why this is so popular.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
What's Universal's track record for rereleasing catalogue titles as special editions? I wouldn't be too hopeful about it. I have this movie in my collection, but I'm more than willing to dish out extra dough for a special edition.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Sadly, this SE is not likely to happen. Richard Linklater was very upset at the way he was treated at Universal and by his producers, having to wrangle over music choices and the running time. Apparently, he has also not gotten any residuals from it's second life on the midnight movie and DVD circuit. At a recent public appearance for WAKING LIFE, he politely autographed DAZED AND CONFUSED memorabilia, but he always bristled a little when people mentioned that title. Apparently the scars still run deep.
So unless Sean Daniel and the current team at Universal do some serious apologizing and ego-stroking, and offer some sort of compensation package, we will not likely see any sort of expanded edition of this movie, definitely not with Richard's participation anyway.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
Even if a Special Edition won't be released, it would still be nice to get an Anamorphic Transfer and a nice Audio Mix.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
I hadn't seen Dazed and Confused in its OAR until the DVD was released, so naturally I love it -- infinitely superior to my worn out VHS. But I would be all over an SE if it were released.

"I'm just trying to be honest about being a misanthrope."

Rob

Justin Hargis

Stunt Coordinator
I was watching Dazed and Confused earlier today on Comedy Central. Wow, I never realized all the famous people in this movie. There are a lot. And they all have those ugly 70s hair styles. :)
I too want a revamped release of this film. Of course, it has to be anamorphic and have a Dolby Digital 5.1 track. Since this movie came out in 1993, I'm not even sure a 5.1 track exists? Which would mean they'd have to do some remastering. Someone correct me on that.
Commentary would be nice also. :)

RobertW

Supporting Actor
having gone through high school in that time period, it's simply amazing how well that film captured the spirit of those days. while we didn't have last day of school hazings and such, the entire vibe of the film was just so reminiscent of my time in high school.

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Of course, it has to be anamorphic and have a Dolby Digital 5.1 track. Since this movie came out in 1993, I'm not even sure a 5.1 track exists?
I have the R2/4/5 PAL version and it has an anamorphic transfer and a re-purposed Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack (but no extras apart from a trailer). It's a Universal release, so they certainly have a 5.1 soundtrack hanging around the vault somewhere.

Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks