Dazed & Confused: SE in September?!?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by LarryDavenport, May 18, 2004.

1. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

DVD Times says an SE of Daved & Confused (and Fast Times at Ridgemont High) is coming out September 14.

My suspicion is that it's just a repackaging of the old discs but I hope I'm wrong.

-------------

Dazed & Confused and Fast Times SEs in September

Universal Studios Home Video have announced the R1 releases of two new special edition DVDs for 14th September 2004. Continuing with their imaginative naming policy Dazed and Confused: Flashback Edition will debut alongside a Fast Times at Ridgemont High: Special Edition, retailing at $19.98 each or available in The Ultimate Party Collection for $27.98. Each release will be available in separate anamorphic widescreen and full screen versions.

Full details and artwork will follow at a later date.

2. WillG

WillG Producer

This should be in the "Film and Documentary" section

However, This seems to be odd. Why a SE of "Fast Times" as it is already a Collectors Edition with commentary, a documentary and other various special features. There are some more thinngs that they could have included, the biggest omission being the extra television footage. According to what has be reported on many other threads is that either the elements are available or, Heckerling never cared for the scenes and did not want them on the DVD. Still it seems odd that Universal would feel the need to revisit this title.

The rumors on "Dazed" is that there was a falling out between Universal and Richard Linklater over the treatment of the film. So many think an SE will never happen, but stranger things have happened.

Maybe there will be a SE of "Dazed" but I too wonder if they mean that "Fast Times" will be the same edition just packaged with a new SE of "Dazed" or just a simple repackaging.

3. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

This will be alot cooler if its true!
    [​IMG]

4. Paul Stanley

Paul Stanley Stunt Coordinator

I love Dazed, but you can tell that its an unfinished film. I'm sure there is tonnes of extra scenes and stuff out there. Could be awesome if done right!!

3rd release of Fast Times? Gimme a break. It had better have that extra footage this time!

[​IMG]

5. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

It's really the second "Fast Times" release, unless you count the slightly different "High School Reunion" coverart.

6. WillG

WillG Producer

Yes, supposedly there is a longer cut of the film. I know someone who claims to have seen it. He says that whatever was added in did not help the film tremendously though.

7. Steve_Knutzen

Steve_Knutzen Screenwriter

The first thing I thought when I saw these listed was that they were re-releases but the retail seems way to high. Maybe Uni and Linklater patched things up.[​IMG]

8. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob
    If D&C is indeed anamorphic, then it is not simply "a repackaging of the old disc". Here's hoping....

Rob

9. Jim Bivins

Jim Bivins Stunt Coordinator

I knew this would happen...I just purchased D&C on DVD a couple months ago, had been holding out for a new edition...dummy!

Jim

10. Joshua_W

Joshua_W Second Unit

Weren't there some scenes cut from "Fast Times at Ridgemont High," in order to secure an R-rating? I wouldn't mind seeing an unrated version.

11. Paul Stanley

Paul Stanley Stunt Coordinator

...like I said, this will be the 3rd release of Fast Times.

Kinda figured something was brewing with Dazed when it dropped price brackets a couple months ago. I really hope its beyond legit!

[​IMG]

12. Ocean Phoenix

Ocean Phoenix Supporting Actor

Speaking of Richard Linklater, does anyone think his movie "Before Sunrise" will get special edition treatment since its sequel is coming out this summer?

13. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

This would be so great if it were true. Even if the new D&C was barebones but with a 16x9 anamorphic transfer and possibly even 5.1 audio track I would be happy. I'd love to see an extended cut of the film, but I dont think that will ever happen.

14. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

I apologize for posting this in TV. I thought I had clicked my bookmark for Movies on DVD.

I met Richard Linklater when he premiered D&C at the SEattle and Vancouver (BC) film festivals and during his Q&As he said there was a four hour cut of the movie and it wasn't until he cut it down did the film focus on Pink and Mitch. Unless Universal gives Richard free reign to say how much they tried to interfere with the film, I expect we'll just get an anamorphic transfer with little extras.

As far as Fast Time, I remember people complained that stuff was missing and the music was changed. So maybe we're in luck and they obtained the rights to the original soundtrack.

15. WillG

WillG Producer

Maybe, at the very least, a very long deleted scenes section.

16. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

The music was changed for the original home video release in the 80's but the current DVD has all the original music restored, and it features the theatrical cut.

17. Matt Harrison

Matt Harrison Stunt Coordinator

I hope it's true. I will be buying it.

18. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

My instinct tells me this new disc will likely just be a new anamorphic transfer with perhaps some deleted scenes, but hardly the blow-out all us fans would like. I have not yet heard of any healing between Linklater and Universal.

But then again, maybe somebody at Universal did get smart and realize that perhaps it would be wise to indeed patch things up, if it meant that they could do an ad blitz proclaiming, "From the director of SCHOOL OF ROCK!"

As for BEFORE SUNRISE, I wouldn't expect any kind of special ediiton on that until the grosses for BEFORE SUNSET come in. But I'll bet cash Amurrican that WB will do a new DVD of that at the same time the SUNSET DVD comes out.

19. Matt Harrison

Matt Harrison Stunt Coordinator

DVDfile is saying commentary with director, deleted scenes and trailer.

20. WillG

WillG Producer

From DVDfile

What the crap is up with that?!

Sadly, If you want widescreen versions of both movies you will probably have to shell out more money as the two pack should likely be a few bucks cheaper than buying individually.