ISF calibartion of a tube?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Martin Conley, Jul 10, 2001.

1. Martin Conley

Martin Conley Auditioning

I have just purchased a Sony KV-36XBR450 HDTV direct view set and I was wondering... I have read many times about ISF technicians calibrating projection TVs. Do you also need to have a direct view TV calibrated?
    Martin

2. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Yep - proper adjustment of picture levels and grayscale (ie. the heart of the ISF process) are necessary for an accurate picture from any set. You'll be able to adjust the picture levels on your own using a calibration disc like Video Essentials or Avia. But for grayscale you'll need a qualified tech with the right equipment (ie. a color analyzer).
    ------------------
    --Jay
    "No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
    My Home Theatre Pictures...
    "You're no mesiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

3. Ashley Seymour

Ashley Seymour Supporting Actor

So what is the the procedure that the ISF technician uses to set the grey scale?
    ------------------

4. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings
    Procedure?
    They use a colour analyzer and test patterns. Takes about 20-30 minutes with a directview tube set if they document their work.
    Regards
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Michael @ The Laser Video Experience

5. Ashley Seymour

Ashley Seymour Supporting Actor

Thanks Michael,
    What I am curious about is do you have to get "inside" the set and what adjustments are being made. I am not going to take apart my set. Too many admonitions about bumping a capacitor and getting zapped. So my interest is of a general nature for now. Even if I got inside, I don't have access to the equipment I would need. When I upgrade from my 27" Phill/Mag I am considering the benefit of getting a calibration. I have used VE to get a nice picture, albeit one with the left side of the screen with the vertical bars that have plauged all sizes of this model.
    From reading your material in Keohi, I'm aware that the RPTV's will track a different grey scale across the screen. How about a CRT, or is it not an issue because of the closeness of the three guns?
    Thanks again
    ------------------