What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I seldom second guess myself whilst viewing a Blu-ray.

But did this time.

Here's what I knew.

British production shot mid-1956 on both location as well as at Pinewood.

Cinematographer - Jack Cardiff

Film stock - Eastman Color - 5248 - processed by Technicolor London

I've always had a theory about British productions processed at Tech, and I'd joke about Thames water.

Fact is, by all rights this Eastman negative should be nicely faded, and yet...

Viewing the images in projection, I could swear I was looking at three-strip Techncolor.

But the final 3-strip production, as far as I know, was a Rank production the previous year.

So what precisely am I seeing?

An anomaly. A 1956 Eastman production with a Jack Cardiff secret sauce of some kind.

The Prince and the Showgirl has numerous tales available regarding its production, the relationships between the actors, Miss Monroe's acting coach, the difficulties of the production which stars Monroe and Laurence Olivier - he also directed. Executive produced by Milton Greene and Monroe.

But I keep going back to the other-worldly colors and textures of the film, which you'll have to see to understand.

Screenplay be Terence Rattigan, and a list of technicians that nicely sum up the best that the British cinema had to offer.

My advice. Just grab a copy!

Image – 5

Audio – 5 (DTS-HD MA 2.0)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Works in projection - Yes

Works up-rezzed to 4k - Yes

Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Monroe at her most incandescent. Only one of her films to open at Radio City.
But I must say I find Olivier an actor I adore a major disappointment. He seems to have divested himself of all charm and comic refinement. Much too heavy and oppressive in an almost impossible effort to drag down her performance. Too bad there was nobody who would dare to tell him during the rushes you are really screwing up this movie and bewildering dragging it down. Maybe he was purposely sabotaging it. I believe it was Sybil Thorndyke who said to him she's stealing every scene from you.
Too bad they didn't get Wyler or Cukor to direct who could cut him down to size and tell him to cut it out. There were a number of actors in that period who could have given a better performance. But I guess Monroe couldn't resist his prestige.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Monroe at her most incandescent. Only one of her films to open at Radio City.
But I must say I find Olivier an actor I adore a major disappointment. He seems to have divested himself of all charm and comic refinement. Much too heavy and oppressive in an almost impossible effort to drag down her performance. Too bad there was nobody who would dare to tell him during the rushes you are really screwing up this movie and bewildering dragging it down. Maybe he was purposely sabotaging it. I believe it was Sybil Thorndyke who said to him she's stealing every scene from you.
Too bad they didn't get Wyler or Cukor to direct who could cut him down to size and tell him to cut it out. There were a number of actors in that period who could have given a better performance. But I guess Monroe couldn't resist his prestige.
Rex Harrison would have been perfect: haughty, arrogant with a very light touch.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Picture start beat me to mentioning the musical divertissement Rex was appearing in New York at the time.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Colin Clark’s book “The Prince, the Showgirl and me” is a very interesting account of the making of the film from the eyes of someone who was given a job as a ‘gofer’ on the set (Clark’s parents were close friends of the Oliviers - it helps to be well connected to get into the film industry!). I’ve not read Clark’s later follow-up book “My Week with Marilyn” which sounds like a work of fiction.

filmnoirguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lon Cross
I believe in 1956 Mr.. Harrison was otherwise engaged on Broadway in a musical play with Mary Poppins -- that later became a movie/film that is quite good I hear ;) ...
Unfortunately, "Mary Poppins" wasn't cast in the movie version.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
If Julie had done My Fair Lady she wouldn't have done Poppins. Which do you wish she would have done?

filmnoirguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lon Cross
If Julie had done My Fair Lady she wouldn't have done Poppins. Which do you wish she would have done?
Julie Andrews once said in an interview that while disappointed she wasn't cast in My Fair Lady, she eventually got over it. Until movies on video came along, and she realized it was going to live on forever. Personally, I'd rather see her in My Fair Lady.

OLDTIMER

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken S-B
This film (and this print I presume) is available on streaming in Australia (SBS On-demand). Like you, Mr Harris, I was certain that I was watching a three-strip Technicolor print. It looks beautiful.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack

I think I read somewhere (can’t remember where or how accurate it is) that Walt would have waited until after MFL had finished filming to do Mary Poppins had Julie Andrews been cast in that film. So if true, we probably would still have gotten Mary Poppins with Julie Andrews, but might have ended up not having her in The Sound of Music.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I think I read somewhere (can’t remember where or how accurate it is) that Walt would have waited until after MFL had finished filming to do Mary Poppins had Julie Andrews been cast in that film. So if true, we probably would still have gotten Mary Poppins with Julie Andrews, but might have ended up not having her in The Sound of Music.
I know Ms Andrews personally she is still MAGIC ---- she got the better part and the Oscar although she is too classy to say it she did round about way confirm Harrison was not a nice person in fact he left Hollywood after Carole Landis killed herself and most of Hollywood blamed him - it took him 17 years to get back in Hollywood in a major film deep down Ms Andrews was quite content the way things worked out and showing how great she is she became friends with Ms Hepburn NO grudge there and to this day feel bad for Ms Hepburn that her vocals were not used that really hurt very much just as Ms Gardner felt over Show Boat although I think she at least got royalties as MGM records her vocals

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Rex Harrison would have been perfect: haughty, arrogant with a very light touch.
Cary Grant, Marlon Brando, Gregory Peck, Tyrone Power, Robert Taylor, Yul Brynner, Gene Kelly, to name a few that would have been better than Olivier. Would love to have seen Grant and her reunited from "Monkey Business" or Gene Kelly would have been a great pairing with Monroe,
And Brando would have been a wonderful duo.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks