What's new

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Yesterday I was complaining about Neptune's Daughter being 24.99 on Amazon. Prince and Showgirl was 19.99. Now today that as well is up to 24.49.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Cary Grant, Marlon Brando, Gregory Peck, Tyrone Power, Robert Taylor, Yul Brynner, Gene Kelly, to name a few that would have been better than Olivier. Would love to have seen Grant and her reunited from "Monkey Business" or Gene Kelly would have been a great pairing with Monroe,
And Brando would have been a wonderful duo.

An inebriated chimp would be better than Olivier in this movie.

And that goes behind the camera as well.

Just the wrong guy for the job as actor and director.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Alec Guinness would have been a possibility.

Andrews came very close to be fired from MFL. Rex threatened to quit the production because she was so bad. And we know that Harrison was the most generous and patient of people.

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
Thank you, RH, for recommending this disc. I just watched it in projection with friends who had seen it several times before and we were all blown away by the picture quality. The colors and textures are indeed otherworldly. An indescribable experience.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
First off, the color is superb and so is the clarity and Jack Cardiff's work shines brightly. Second off, Monroe looks stunning. Funny to hear how wrong Olivier is for the role, since he originated it on the stage a few years prior. I think Monroe's behavior and the idiocy with the hideous Paula Strasberg took its toll on him.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
People complain a lot about Strasberg. But under her pain in the royal butt obsessive tormenting of directors people seem to forget Monroe gave some of her most dazzling performances. Would Monroe have been as good without her? We'll never know but what we do have is great and worth it.

She probably should have worked on Olivier as well.

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
First off, the color is superb and so is the clarity and Jack Cardiff's work shines brightly. Second off, Monroe looks stunning. Funny to hear how wrong Olivier is for the role, since he originated it on the stage a few years prior. I think Monroe's behavior and the idiocy with the hideous Paula Strasberg took its toll on him.
Olivier gives what is perhaps the worst performance of his career, overblown, theatrical and thoroughly unsympathetic. His direction, other than himself, is quite on the mark however. I'm sure MM wasn't easy to deal with but she deservedly won the Best Actress David di Donatello that year and should have been nominated for an Oscar. She is simply outstanding.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Olivier gives what is perhaps the worst performance of his career, overblown, theatrical and thoroughly unsympathetic.
I guess you've never seen The Jazz Singer, The Betsy or Inchon! I didn't realize playing a thoroughly unsympathetic character was a bad thing. Must characters always be likable? Yes, his performance is theatrical which I think makes a nice contrast to Monroe's naturalism. It accentuates the differences in their characters' class and cultural standing. After all, he is a prince and she a showgirl. He's royalty, she's a commoner. I, for one, am glad Olivier didn't "play down" to Monroe the way Richard Burton "played down" to Elizabeth Taylor in most of their movies together (WAOVW? being an exception).

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
I guess you've never seen The Jazz Singer, The Betsy or Inchon! I didn't realize playing a thoroughly unsympathetic character was a bad thing. Must characters always be likable? Yes, his performance is theatrical which I think makes a nice contrast to Monroe's naturalism. It accentuates the differences in their characters' class and cultural standing. After all, he is a prince and she a showgirl. He's royalty, she's a commoner. I, for one, am glad Olivier didn't "play down" to Monroe the way Richard Burton "played down" to Elizabeth Taylor in most of their movies together (WAOVW? being an exception).
Yes, I have. His performance in this is worse but it's easy to forgive him because it's actually a very good movie and he directed it, whereas those other three are total clunkers.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Yes, I have. His performance in this is worse but it's easy to forgive him because it's actually a very good movie and he directed it, whereas those other three are total clunkers.
I'd like to see The Betsy again.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
To be regaled with His Royal arse?
Serious reply: the only part of the human body not normally shown that I can remember in that film was the bounteous bosom of the girl in the swimming pool. Off hand, I can't recall her name but she's worth a second look.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks