What's new

Is XBOX big hyped console ?? (1 Viewer)

Hi.
I'd love to know many peoples' opinion on XBOX as a hardware/console.
Yes, there is no doubt that it is the most powerful console in the market. (I could figure this part out myself from owning Playstaion2, GameCube, and XBOX.)
These days, I see a lot of people/media/reviews prasing how powerful the XBOX is.
In my view, XBOX is nothing more than a mid-end PC. (not even high-end PC at all.)
In PCs.....CPUs these days, gone over 2 GHz, GeForce4 Ti, and next generation GeForce is just around the corner...etc.
Not to forget that the games on XBOX are only in 480p = 640*480 or 720*480. Try running in these resolutoins on PC look just way too bad. :frowning:
Now....those are my opinions. But am I missing something here ??

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Eric,
First of all welcome to the Forum. You'll find the best group of people here to discuss one our favorite habits...Videogames.
Now...*sigh*
IS NOT A PC said:
So does the PS2 and the Gamecube. Why single out the X-box? It looks like you enjoy gaming on your PC. If lower resolution bothers youm, thats your preference but there are others that will not share that opinion (Go figure!). I personally think Halo at 480p looks stunning. DOA3 on a widescreen TV and 480p is orgasmic. All consoles run at 640X480 (In the case of this generation 480p also). They are meant to run on NTSC televisions not a computer monitor. So exactly whats your point here? .(As Dan so eloquently stated above:))
Eric, your going to find allot of Multi-platform players here that enjoy all the consoles and PC games out there. I myself own over 10 consoles and a PC. Your entitled to your opinion, not everyone needs to own or like every platform out there but its definitely not a popular thing around these parts to post seemingly "bashing" comments about any platform. (Any platform or console).
You said in your post that you own an X-box..What have you played on it?

Joe michaels

Second Unit
I think it can be argued that the XBOX is more PC-like. What is the point to that argument? My TIVO, My MP3 player, etc. are all becoming 'more' PC-like with hard drives, modems etc.

The point to watch for is this, is the XBOX a good peice of hardware and can it deliver the things we have traditionally come to expect from a console, good games on out TV sets with good developer support. The hardware itself I find to be great. I love having a hard drive for games and the fact I can transfer music to the hard drive. Does the XBOX feel like you are using a PC when operating it? No.

What's important is when you sit in front of your television do you feel you have a good peice of hardware that provides you with enjoyment and little aggravation. I would say the XBOX delivers on many levels.

StevenK

Second Unit
Heck, even if the XBox were a PC, I'd like to see someone build a $299 PC capable of playing a Halo comparable game with Dolby Digital output, crystal clear TV-out, a DVD player (either hardware or software), and doesn't crash. Hell, just buying Windows costs you at least $90 already. Even if it were "just a PC", it's a damn good one at a damn good price.

BTW, IMO, the PS2 was/is the most hyped current generation console. Well a year before its release, it was hyped to be the ultimate home entertainment console. It is still currently being described as such in the Best Buy ads and such. Its a great console and I would very much like one for GT3...it has by far underwhelmed me compared to the hype it received.

BTW2, the most underhyped console was the Dreamcast. That this was simply amazing. Heck, with online playability, internet connectivity from the get go, MP3 playback, VCD playback, DiVX playback, it rings closer to the "home entertainment console" nomer.

Joe michaels

Second Unit
Heck, even if the XBox were a PC, I'd like to see someone build a $299 PC capable of playing a Halo comparable game with Dolby Digital output, crystal clear TV-out, a DVD player (either hardware or software), and doesn't crash. Hell, just buying Windows costs you at least $90 already. Even if it were "just a PC", it's a damn good one at a damn good price.
Excellent point.

And since when is being like a PC a bad thing?

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
And the GameCube is just like a Mac, PowerPC G3 based CPU ATi GPU...you might want to mention that also when talking about how bad the Xbox is because it uses PC-esq components.

Like Romier's sig:

Multi-platform. The only way to live!

He lives by it, I live by, a few others do too(and that includes PCs)

James Zos

Supporting Actor
I'm not a fanboy. Ordinarily I could care less who makes what, and since I don't particularly like Microsoft, I'd actually prefer that my Xbox not be made by them.

But no matter who it is made by - it is still in my opinion, having owned a PS2 and played around with a Gamecube, the best console you can currently buy, because it comes closest to the PC gaming experience, which in my opinion beats the hell out of console gaming for the most part.

Now I get to play semi-adult games with great graphics and a hard drive on my 27-inch TV and DD system, instead of on my 17-inch monitor and quad sound speakers. I'm happy (relatively speaking.)

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I never understood this anti X Box because it's just a mid end PC arguement. If the X Box is bad as a mid end PC wouldn't that make PS2 even worse as a low end PC?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I understand why people don't like the X-Box since its a mid-end PC equivalent, but seeing as how it only needs to do half the things (if not way less) that PCs do and is totally focused on just gaming, its not exactly the same. Also, if my mid-end PC looked and sounded like games on the X-Box, then I wouldn't buy consoles.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Michael, you need get the special flux capacitor attachment for the pc. Then just enter the special code (up up down down left right left right A B Start) and get the pc running at the right speed before inserting the disc. ;)
-Dave

paul h

Supporting Actor
Yes it was hyped as are most new products on the market. I picked one up last week when the price dropped here in the UK and have been enjoying Halo. For me the most disappointing thing as with the PS2 and Gamecube launches is the lack of titles that i actually really want, or should i say am willing to part with £45 for.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
"I'm not a fanboy. Ordinarily I could care less who makes what, and since I don't particularly like Microsoft, I'd actually prefer that my Xbox not be made by them.

But no matter who it is made by - it is still in my opinion, having owned a PS2 and played around with a Gamecube, the best console you can currently buy, because it comes closest to the PC gaming experience, which in my opinion beats the hell out of console gaming for the most part."

Which is exactly what I don't like about my Xbox. The games look and play like PC games, and I've never been a fan of PC games. They have that... PC look and feel. Am I making any sense? If not, I apologize.

I still have an Xbox, because I can't NOT buy a new console. It's an illness.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks