What's new

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Nice that Halo 5 will have an update. Looking forward to DL'ing that and trying it out when I get my X.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
There are about 28 games available in 4K/HDR now and a total of 65 available or in development.

And whether they are interesting enough to play is of course an individual opinion. Many of yours I disagree with.
So...which Xbox One X-enhanced games are you looking forward to playing?

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
No. The Xbox one x does not support 4k pass thru. I’ve searched online and cannot get a definitive answer. The One s does not for sure.

I figured that was what you probably meant, by context, but wasn't sure, since asking about passthrough with an AVR and not molesting the XB1X's video would also be a valid Q.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
So I just set mine up

To get 4K and HDR I have go hook up the Xbox directly to my OLED tv bypassing my Yamaha Dolby Atmos receiver.

Now I can only choose DD 5.1 as an output from the Xbox one menu since the sound is now output from my tv thru the arc setting to my receiver.

Am I missing something?

Frustrating that I have to choose.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
First off, does your receiver support HDR pass-through? Second, are your HDMI cables all the right standard?

Those are the only two things that could be at issue.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
New question: some TVs only support 4K/HDR on certain inputs. Are you using the correct input for the X->Receiver->TV setup?

I know, dumb question, just looking at all possibilities.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
What the other guys said: settings/inputs/cables.

I have mentioned the odd time here that with very high-spec very-current HDMI sources, I have had trouble with display devices unless the HDMI cables were of the very highest spec also. Not high-price, just high-spec. Just because a cable worked before with the display at the same video resolution/format doesn't mean it will work with the new source device (i.e. I'm "blaming" the source, rather than the AVR or display). IDK why, still. I keep a bunch of the latest cables around, throw one in, and be done with it.

[But it's a mystery to me, my speculation is a lot of the source devices use a similar/same "HDMI chipset" and it's very fussy. I know that e.g. some of the Intel chipsets are fussy about cables, and don't work with cables that work with "everything" else for the same format.]

Last edited:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I've had good luck with Monoprice's inexpensive certified premium high speed cable which is very affordable. Less than $5 for anything under 10'. The cable jacket is pretty stiff, so be aware of that, but I'm more than willing to put up with that for the price/performance ratio. Because of the extra stiffness (read: not super bendable) I tend to buy a little longer than I need if I need it to bend.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I use the monoprice certified 4K hdmi cables. And I have it hooked up to the hdmi 2 Arc output on my lg OLED.

Called LG
Called Xbox

No one had a clue.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
According to the Monoprice site...

Screen Shot 2017-11-08 at 3.03.01 PM.png
I run them from my Oppo 203 to a Samsung 4K HDR KS8000 model with no problems, as well as from my XB1X to a 4K Sony TV.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I use the monoprice certified 4K hdmi cables. And I have it hooked up to the hdmi 2 Arc output on my lg OLED.

Called LG
Called Xbox

No one had a clue.

There's one important manufacturer missing there...for the piece in the middle that everything works without. :)

Have you made any progress, or just going to live with it?

Edit: "4K Mode1 in Advanced Setup" is what most people say, might work for you too. I have no idea what it means...and just that you apparently have to go to a bit of "effort" to get into advanced setup mode. There was the same prob with Yamaha AVRs and PS4 Pro with 4K+HDR, so more info re that combo.

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm waiting for a black Friday sale for the purchase of the X. Last year I got my Xbox One S $50 off plus two free games, and a $25 gift code. That was great. I hope there is something close to that this year from the Microsoft store.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Try going into the setup menu of your Yamaha receiver and see if it is set to mode 1. I had my 3060 set to mode 2, so my PS4 pro would only recognize the TV as being 2K HDR capable. Once I set the Yamaha to Mode 1 my pro would see the TV as 4K2K HDR capable. It may be the same for the XBOX1X.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Try going into the setup menu of your Yamaha receiver and see if it is set to mode 1. I had my 3060 set to mode 2, so my PS4 pro would only recognize the TV as being 2K HDR capable. Once I set the Yamaha to Mode 1 my pro would see the TV as 4K2K HDR capable. It may be the same for the XBOX1X.

Thanks. Gonna try that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks