What's new

Is Sega still making games for the Dreamcast? (1 Viewer)

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
I have been out of the gaming loophole for quite some time now and am about to get back into it. I'm currently evaluating my options and as it turns out the Dreamcast is a system I'm considering. The thing is if I recall correctly, Sega announced they were going to pull out of the hardware industry some time ago which means they would stop making the actual Dreamcast console. Does this mean that they also decided to stop making games for the system as well? I'd consider getting one but it will not be a option if games not be on it. Thanks.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Keith, Don't count on any new games. Some third parties may be publishing a title or two (I don't know of any, though), but you should only count on the titles already released. That said, it's a helluva bargain - a system for the price of a game! And there are some great, great games available.

-Dave

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Sega's last game SHOULD be NHL2k2 in Feb. but there isn't going to be much, or anything until then (and I'll actually be surprised if we see it). There may be a few others, but won't be much.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
They canned most of the lineup, I'm guessing they did NHL2K2 just because it was so easy to just upgrade last year's game

Propeller Arena (which looked fantastic) and Shenmue 2 RIP(thank you UK for the latter!)

Ash Williams

Second Unit
I wish they would. I never realized what an awesome system it was until I bought one for $50. Games are incredibly cheap and rival the graphics of the Playstation 2, in my opinion. When I went to buy it, I was originaly looking for a Gamecube game, but decided to get a Dreamcast with a few games. I was looking to get Crazy Taxi for the Gamecube,which costs $50, but ended up getting Crazy Taxi 2 for the Dreamcast for $15!

Another thing that amazed me was online capablity, I mean being able to download game files to the VMU, that is so cool. Hopefully by droping the price like that more people will buy it and create a demand.

Greg O' Connel

Stunt Coordinator
I would advise anyone with a Dreamcast or interested in purchasing a Dreamcast to buy whatever you want right now. It's not going to be on store shelves much longer. I work in retail, and the store I work for and others are dropping DC hardware and software like a bad date. There's just not room for a dead system with PS2, Gamecube, Game Boy, and Xbox, not to mention N64 and PSOne, who still have pretty good software sales.

Jason Handy

Second Unit
I feel like a broken record ever since I got my Dreamcast. But I can't express enough how much of a BARGAIN I think this is right now. I still haven't broken $300 in total spending, and I have the DC, 2 controllers, 2 VMUs, 2 jump paks, and about 15 games. I have only 2 left on my list: Grandia II and Shenmue II. Honestly, I can't see how anybody can pass this up if they do not yet have one. For those of us estranged from consoles since NES (or thereabouts), this is a great way to jump back in without breaking the bank.

My question though: how about the European market? They released Shenmue 2 over there with english subtitles, but I don't know if this represents a last gasp or whether there is still some life in the euro market...

Jason

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
The Euro DC market is pretty much dead too. Sega farmed out the DC publishing to another company called Big Ben and they're attempting to make the most of their licence by releasing a bunch of DC games in fairly small runs (from what I know) to the audience that's there. That's why we're getting Shen Mue 2, Head Hunter, 90 Minutes etc. There's little on the schedule that isn't out already in the US now - Head Hunter & Shen Mue2 are the big exceptions (and you don't want 90 Minutes from what I know...).

Kevin_W

Second Unit
Please Please Please let NHL 2K2 make it to the shelves! :)
Anyway, I buy games over ebay and I look thru Amazon.com quite often if there is a game I want - many times I am pleasantly surprised to see they are selling it for 50% - 60% off retail.
All these new consoles have made life good for dreamcast owners because everyone is dumping their dreamcast equipment and games to make way for the new stuff. And a console for $50 and controllers for $15 its a hard sell not to get a dreamcast unless you just can't find games you like.
Here are three links that I keep in my favorites and look at daily:
eBay - Dreamcast game auctions closing today
Link Removed
Amazon's Dreamcast Section
ign.com is great because they include short quicktime videos of the games so you can see the graphics and interfaces.
Kevin

Barry S

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, I would advise everyone who doesn't already have one to buy a Dreamcast! Heck, buy two of them! It's the best game system you will ever get for $49.99. For the past year, I've been picking cheap 32-bit PS1 games at $19.99, now I'm getting 128-bit DC games for that price and less! Too good to pass up.

Marshall W. Carter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marshall W. Carter
Yeah, anyone even considering buying the DC should do so now. There are no more consoles to be found in my area, and they cannot be found online. Games are low in price (aside from the 2K2 sports games, most are less than $20, lots less than $10) and high on quality.

The last two games released in December were Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves ($29) a port of the excellent Neo Geo fighter (beats paying $500 for the home cart) and Conflict Zone, a RTS title with some unique tactics (propaganda?). As far as I know, NHL 2K2 is the last one, although there might be one or two more from a 3rd party somewhere.

The DC went before its time it seems, but it made more than a name for itself during the short time it did have. If you're into 2D fighters and arcade style games in particular, the Capcom & SNK ports alone are worth the price of admission, not to mention what Sega always brings to the table.

David_Li

Auditioning
"Yeah, anyone even considering buying the DC should do so now. There are no more consoles to be found in my area, and they cannot be found online."

Not really true, Dreamcasts are auctioned off all the time on ebay. I'd say there are enough systems floating around to keep the market up for awhile to come.

Jason Handy

Second Unit
Whil ebay is a good place to get stuff, I hear increasing reports of bad seller-buyer experiences, and I can see how some people may be squeamish about sending a money-order to someone they don't know.
I use eBay but only if the seller accepts PayPal, mostly because I perceive it to be more secure. Plus it does not require a trip to the post office :)
Back on topic...then swerving off topic again - I noticed that after the new year, many online shops no longer advertise DC games. Best Buy seems to be sold out online, and my quest for finding Grandia II was stalled at GameStop when the purchase page was unable to load.
Folks, it looks like its time to make the last grab for the games you have always wanted.
Jason

BrandonG

Agent
If my memory serves me correctly, Sega said that in March 2002 all production of games will cease. They made this announcement when they ceased producing consoles.Most games in Best Buy computers have out dates of late March, which means we might not carry them after that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks