What's new

Sega NFL 2K3 - Don't Believe The Hype!!! (1 Viewer)

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
I really wanted to love this game. I really did. But after doing nothing but play football w/ my friends this weekend, I, as well as several others, have come to the conclusion that Sega NFL 2K3 is just terrible. I, like many others, bought into the hype machine called IGN. I swore that I wouldn't become their prey again since the glowing 9.3 (or something like that) recommendation they gave on the game Wreckless for the XBOX. I lost money on that one. Anyway, I've owned 4 Sega Football titles (2K and 2K1 for Dreamcast, 2K2 for PS2, and now 2K3 for XBOX). This game was touted as being rebuilt from the ground up, but that was a bald faced lie! This game looks almost identical to 2K2. It seems like instead of fixing the problems associated w/ 2K2, they created all new problems for 2K3! Here they are:
1) The in-game graphics are still the same as last year's - no improvement whatsoever.
2) Passing game has been tweaked for the worse. Tying together a string of completions is a mixed bag of dropped passes, corners and DBs that come out of no where to intercept you, and receivers w/ butter fingers that drop 10 yd. passes and bobble the others for an incompletion w/ no coverage in sight. And this doesn't happen two or three in a game, but freqently, and in every drive.
3) The opposition's RB can easily shake off 5 defenders before being brought down. You can't do that.
4) There is a problem w/ the buttons making them unresponsive to commands. You literally have to hit the Y-button 2 or more times for it to respond. (many forums, including IGN, are reporting this same problem)
5) Jerky animations. The motions aren't very fluid at all.
6) Instead of a running motion where the players' feet touch the ground, the players seem to "float" across the field as if doing the Michael Jackson's "Moonwalk". Especially noticeable is the QB approaching the center for the snap. Before he "sets", he annoyingly "float" to the left before taking the snap.
7) I feel like I'm always playing a Sunday night game because of the ESPN logo everywhere. (personal meaningless gripe):D
8) Rushing is hard. Not as bad as last year, but still hard.
9) This game is just not fun. Regardless of how "real" or sim-based a game may be, it should still have a fun factor. Fever, even with its problems, seems more balanced in this regard.
I think some (the honest ones) will agree w/ my assessment of Sega 2K3 now that some of the hype has died down. Personally, I feel that there is no game that has the full package right now. Fever and Sega are close, but neither blows the other away. The perfect football game would be a blending of the 2. Oh well. Maybe next year.

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Kevin,

After spending some time with both NFL2K3 and Madden 2003, I have agree with your assessment of NFL2K3. The only thing it has over Madden is the online play.

I've experienced everything you have, plus the commentary is atrocious, and turning it off is nothing more than muting it. You go through long periods of "dead air" in the game where the commentary would be, but you can't skip it. Not to mention when it's on it's buggy as hell. Try spiking the ball to stop the clock, amazingly, according to the announcers, you'll "just get enough to move the sticks for a first down". Huh?

Back to the drawing board, Visual Concepts...

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I'm with Chris on this one. I don't see the button problem that so many people having and I have no problem with the graphics. They are not Fever quality but they do the job. I have no problem stringing passes together. As a matter of fact, I am the highest rated passer in my season, and that has never happened in the previous versions of 2K. I think to get the game balanced to your liking, you need to adjust the sliders. That is why they are there. Madden has had them for the past few years, and it really has helped that series.
Is this game over-rated, not IMHO, but I guess I am just not being "honest". :rolleyes
Also, if two football games should be blended, it would be Madden and the 2K series. Fever still needs some more work to tone down its arcade gameplay.
-Dean-

Kevin_W

Second Unit
Speaking of Fever, are the graphics that much better than NFL 2K3? I have NFL 2K3 and I too am less than impressed with the graphics since coming off 2K2 on the Dreamcast. As deep and NFL 2K3 is, I don't really get into all the franchise modes and advanced options. Mostly a basic season and pickup games with friends. But a decent practice mode, good play book, proper AI mechanics, and graphics are the most important features to me. And since its in the list of XBOX Live supported games, is it worth a look?

Thanks
Kevin

ChristopherS

Second Unit
I own both NFL 2k3 and Madden (NFL 2k3 for the XBOX and Madden for my PS2) and I would 100% disagree with your assessment.

In my opinion people simply dislike the fact they actually have to play real football. You cannot score with only 3 to 4 plays every possession, and if you do not mix up your plays the AI will shut you down. I am starting to complete more passes, my running game is improving, and - most importantly - I am having fun.

I am also enjoying Madden. I am able to play online right now and I am having a great time but if you are familiar with older versions of the game there are no real surprises. This is not necessarily a bad thing but playing Madden provides no revelation in game play. It is a good solid fun game in which you can start winning games immediately.

I am of the opinion that while you cannot go wrong with either NFL 2k3 or Madden, NFL 2k3 provides the full package. I cannot comment on NFL Fever because I have not played it.

Chris

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I picked up a copy of NFL 2K3 for Xbox Saturday morning after watching the 25 minute football video roundup at GameSpot (they rated it by consensus, across all platforms, as the best NFL video game this year). Three hours later, I exchanged it for a copy of NCAA 2003... Granted, it's the college game using an old engine, but it does an outstanding job of capturing the NCAA football experience. I can't say the same for Sega's offering.

I dunno. The game just didn't do it for me. As mentioned, the commentary is awful. The announcers come across like cartoon voices or caricatures. And, the 5.1 aoudio is not good. The center channel is too low (no matter how much you adjust the different variables), thin sounding and distorts more often than not. The graphics are fine, but suffer from port-itis. The image doesn't completely fill the screen (like all PS2 games on my monitor there is a slight border visible on all four sides). Native Xbox and GameCube games do not have this problem. Not a big deal really, but for some reason I find it distracting.

Maybe when this thing goes online, I'll rent it and see if I feel differently, but right now, I am not impressed.

Kevin_W, I rented Fever 2003 and the graphics are virtually identical to Fever 2002. In fact, I much prefer 2002. I can't explain it, but the overall presentation just feels more polished. Also, I didn't think it was possible, but the commentary is much WORSE than last year (and we all know what it sounded like then...) Here again, maybe when online kicks in, I'll have a different opinion of this game, but right now, there's not a lot to recommend.

Gary

James Buzek

Auditioning
I have to vote in favor of NFL 2K3. It simply blew me out of the water. I have Madden 2003 as well (this is all for the xbox) and was not that impressed. I loved NCAA 2003 from EA though. I can't explain that one :)

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
I own NFl 2k3 for PS2 and I have yet to play Madden. But if what I have read and heard is true that madden is the same gameplay as last year then I am glad that I got Nfl 2k3. I got tired of the faults in madden's game play.

1)rushing was to easy, didn't feel like you had to work for it.

2)defenders never got interceptions, especially your own. In the nfl if you throw a bad pass right to a defender it gets intercepted.

That is one of the things that I love about 2k3 is that if you don't play good and you make stupid decisions you are going to get beat. Another thing that 2k3 has the advantage on is the franchise mode. The best one I have seen in a football game ever. Just my 2 cents. Later

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Brett. I have not played Madden so I cannot compare, but I am having a hell of a time beating the computer with 2K3. I'm using the Bills in preparation for the HTF Football league starting in November, and the Bills sure do suck, but if I don't really use my head to pick the right plays and if I really don't use my audibles well, even teams like Carolina will beat me. I love a challenge and it's not so challenging that complete frustration is setting in.
The realism factor on this one is off the charts. My receiver has to be really open for me to get the ball to him. If he's covered closely, he simply WON'T catch the ball...end of story. Unless it's Moulds;) That tells me the game is very realistic. I hate the arcady style of play and the difficulty factor in this one will insure that it gets a long shelf life in my player. I simply won't settle for mediocrity!!!

Peter Manojlovich

Second Unit
NFL 2k3 has a steep learning curve associated with it. Even rookie level is hard, whereas with Madden rookie level is what I dub the score-at-will mode.

As far as what Kevin A. is discussing, I find there are a lot of dropped passes in this game, so much so, that it gets riduculous after a while. Cpu RB's juke like there's no tomorrow breaking tackles all the time. I gave up trying to establish a run game with NfL2k3 and used pass-runs instead, like flare passes and screens, which work much better against the cpu. I've had the same problem with button response. I really have to mash on the buttons. Overall, I think NFL2k3 plays a good game of football, and the animations are the best out there, but this game is not for novice or casual gamers, and basically I don't care to have think every single play about to how fool the cpu. I just want to play a little football and have some fun.

To Kevin W., the practice modes in Fever are average at best and the training drills are for novices.. Play book is decent, graphics are good in a cartoony way, but overall AI is the weakest of the big three.

BrandonM

Stunt Coordinator
In response to people complaining about CPU running being too easy and too many dropped passes, can't you just adjust the sliders to make it the way you like it?

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
A vote for NFL2K3 here. This game is tough, so is real football. Scores of 7-3, 14-10, 21-17 17-14 are common in the NFL and so are they in this game. (esp. since I play as the Giants, low scores have been common for years with this team)

2K3 forces you to think for every play, you can't just pick a play and throw it to the 'red' receiver everytime. You have to read the coverage. You do not win every game with 2K3. The people who are complaining about the difficulty are used to beating the AI in blowouts in past years' games. Where is the fun in that?

You can complete a pass, you MUST read the coverage, use pump fakes, and use smart play calling. Don't always throw on 3rd down and 6. Don't always run on first down.

I have played Madden with a friend who owns it. He and I both agree that NFL2K3 is the better game, even if only slightly.

Madden is no slouch, though I am tired of hearing BOOM since the Sega Genesis days. I used to be a die-hard Madden fan, but have since converted over to the NFL2K series of football games.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I hate to say this, but you bought a football game update and expected a new game........

All they do every year is just update the stats, tweak the textures a bit. What they mean by "rebuilt from the ground up" is that they eliminated the legacy Dreamcast code

Jim Tressler

Stunt Coordinator
I rented madden and bought 2k3 for the ps2.. I like them both, but am going to stick with 2k3.. Like rick said... you must think on every play, and mix it up. the only thing I do not like about 2k3 is the audio and commentary is a little weak. plus I like the way you call plays in madden a little better...

jim

Jim Tressler

Stunt Coordinator
I rented madden and bought 2k3 for the ps2.. I like them both, but am going to stick with 2k3.. Like rick said... you must think on every play, and mix it up. the only thing I do not like about 2k3 is the audio and commentary is a little weak. plus I like the way you call plays in madden a little better...

jim

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
3) The opposition's RB can easily shake off 5 defenders before being brought down. You can't do that.
This is my big gripe with NFL 2K3. I'm playing on Pro difficulty with all of the sliders adjusted down a few notches. I'm playing a franchise with a fantasy draft and my team is the #3 rushing team in the league with Alexander as my RB. I STILL can't run the ball. I was playing the Buccaneers, who were the #25 or so rated rush defense and they were stopping me for little or no gain on every play. On the other hand, their RB, the mighty Trung Candidate :D, ran all over my #5 rated rush defense, breaking tackles left and right. On one play in the fourth quarter Candidate ran for a 60 yard TD while breaking through tackles from Urlacher, Arrington, Mike McKenzie and 3 others.
I don't really have a problem with the passing game (with the sliders adjusted down). I could probably pass on every down and win easily but that's not football to me.
My opinion of NFL 2K3 is still undecided because I haven't played enough games yet. I will probably keep it just so that I can play in the HTF league. If I can ever figure out how to run the ball, it might start to grow on me.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
I understand that some of you love this game, and I respect that, but don't be so shocked when you read about some who find this game difficult. 2K3 is not for the casual gamer who wants to pick up the controller and play a couple of games once in a while, or challenge friends from time to time, nor will everyone find 2K3 appealing. As much as Fever is branded as "arcadey", it's still fun, this game is not. I think that 2K3 has decent gameplay, but I don't like the approch that Visual Concepts has taken since the 2K series left the Dreamcast. Overall, I just can't seem to get over all the glitches and the "Super AI". I can't even imagine taking 2K3 online. It would kill all the fun IMO. The most irritating for me are the constant dropped passes when I'm all alone in the flats, or on a crossing pattern. Also the DBs who come from nowhere to intercept me on 3 consecutive drives once. And don't get me started on the fumbles....it pisses me off in a major way when the computer AI decides when I should fumble, be recovered by the opposing team, and taken in for a touchdown. That didn't happen to me when I played high school and college football, and I'll be damn if I let some encoded software programming do it to me now.:angry: For now, I'll be happy w/ Fever.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks