What's new

Sega NFL 2K3 - Don't Believe The Hype!!! (1 Viewer)

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
But that's what 2K3 was hyped to be...a whole new game! Everyone picked up IGN's review and ran w/ it. I know that some here will never admit it, but 2K3 didn't exactly deliver on all the hype given it. And it's not the fault of Visual Concepts - they didn't promise an ultra improvement over 2K2....once again IGN reviewers over-hyped the game when it doesn't really seem to be that big of an improvement over last year. As a matter of fact, the only differences seem to be online play, a tad easier to run (but still painfully difficult), and a much more difficult AI that forces you to think like a computer processor, or be picked off to no end half the time, and your receiver drop wide open 10 yard passes the other half. And don't try to run the ball!!!...that's a no-no. With all of the problems this game suffers from, many of you would probably be just as happy w/ last year's 2K2 - it's not that much different. Rent it and you'll see.

Damien

Supporting Actor
I just bought both games, 2K3 is going back to the store before the night is over. The animations are SKATY and JERKY as HELL. There is no fluidity present like in 2K2(whoops i put 3)(running game). Passing game sucks, your WR catches the ball and CLEARY has possesion of the ball, and then is hit and the ball pops out, that should be a fumble if anything. Other times he is wide open and drops it(user control) Plus the audio is NO DIFFERENT than the DC, I am sick of those two guys it is not funny. The game uses bytes from 2K00, like TD music and celebrations. the modes aren't there, mini-camp, create a play, football 101, play challenge, and one i can't think of. The MENUS SUCK compared to maddens, its a joke. The CONTROLS SUCK, they DO NOT RESPOND TO TAPS!!. you can't double switch players and see where recievers routes are before the snap. the graphics are JAGGERIFFIC, and the animatons are jerky and arcady. The moves are useless unless powered up, and the jerky play makes running impossible. The tackles come straight from NFL blitz, and you can still catch someone 5 miles away. The ESPN adds nothing because it's just last years stuff with ESPN slapped on it. It seems Sega spent too much time with the franchise mode and assumed there game was perfect. I really thought Sega would come through this time, just like WSB 2K3, the previews were glossy but the gameplay doesn't come through.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
Try adjusting the slider for this one. That's why it is there. said:
Believe me. The jerky jaggies ARE there. They're not invisible. Once again, no improvements at all in the graphics dept.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
To everyone complaining about dropped passes and CPU runners being too good: Did you ever consider the fact that maybe you're just no good at the game?:D
I'm playing a franchise with a fantasy draft and my team is the #3 rushing team in the league with Alexander as my RB. I STILL can't run the ball.
I'm in the same situation, except that Alexander goes for about 150 a game for me, easily. Of course that could have something to do with the fact that both of my tackles, Jason Fabini and John Ogden, are ranked in the 90's in run-blocking.:D I think I have the third-ranked running game, twenty-first ranked passing game, and one-ranked pass and run D's in the league as of week ten.

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
To everyone complaining about dropped passes and CPU runners being too good: Did you ever consider the fact that maybe you're just no good at the game?
Well considering the fact that the game is being bashed after one night's play, I'm sure that's the case. :D

Adam_Garris

Supporting Actor
I don't see why everyone is having such troubles with NFL 2k3. I haven't played a football game since NFL 2k on Dreamcast, and I'm not having any problems. I'm using the 49ers in Franchise mode, playing Pro, with only the running slider lowered slightly. This is an intelligent football game. I drop passes every now and then, but usually it's my fault. You have to be timely with the passes. One key thing is to throw the pass before they finish the route and have them catch it on the run. And running I find to be no problem since I've lowered the slider a little. I'm averaging 5.3 yards per run. Anyway, I'm really enjoying the game and am glad I choose NFL 2k3. I rented Fever 2003 the other day and returned it early in disgust. Just wasn't too my liking. It was practically freezing in the game menus when I was choosing my team. And I didn't even see what was so good about the graphics. Or the fact I threw a 70+ yard pass my first play for a TD. IMO NFL 2k3 is the game to have.

Adam

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
For those who are bashing 2k3 I thought I would try and give a few tips so you can play better and enjoy the game more. Some of these have already been mentioned but Im to lazy to read through every posts and see what has and hasn't been said so here goes
On passing you have to throw to where they are going to be, the best way to do this is to use maximum passing. If your reciever is running an out to the right of the field then press right as your throw it. You can't just let him finish his route then stand there and expect him to catch it without the defender picking up on it.
For ps2 owners(im not sure about the other systems menus) go to camera options and turn pass zoom on. This makes the camera zoom out so you can see all of your recievers. Definitely helps.
Don't forget about your tight end. He can catch passes to.
Be smart, if your reciever is being doubl covered don't throw it to him and expect it to be a completion.
On the running game, I am averaging almost 100 yards a game with Ladanian Tomlinson so anybody with Alexander should have no excuse for averaging less :D. On run plays you have to follow your blockers, mainly your full back. I usually start out slow in the back field and build up my turbo arrow(correct term?) and once I see the hole develop I use a turbo move of some kind through. Then just try and go from there.
I hope this helps anybody who is having problems. Just remember to stick with it and you will get better. And you will need to when the Network Adapter comes out.:D

Damien

Supporting Actor
for your passing, real nfl recievers aren't wimps and drop the ball every time they get a hit. and throwing into double coverage is not the issuse for the tackledrops, there is no gang tackling in 2k3. plus a lot of players drop wide open ones as well.
running is hard, and it is hard to get it going since once your hit your down a lot of times, you are forced to use moves.
that and other reasons is why i returned the game in a pretty fast fashion(i almost never return games)

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
You know, I was gonna rant.
But I think I did enough of that over in HT software today.
The only "next Gen" football games I have (other than the DC) are Fever 2002 & NFL 2K3.
If I want to score on bombs almost every time, I play Fever.
So far,NFL 2K3 is making me think. Which will give me a very small chance in the HTF league.
Works for me! :D

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
It doesn't take very long to decide whether this game's a keeper or not.:)
Sorry if it comes across if I'm bashing the game, and Andrew, I can play this game;)....heck, I can even put drives together and score just like the rest of you. But the AI in this game is unnecessarily unforgiving. In its attempt to be real and put up a formidable challenge to the user, it contradicts the very thing it's trying to be. I challenge anyone of you who like this game to admit that there are problems w/ this game and that it may not appeal to everyone.
Those of you that are praising this game, why didn't you praise it last year? It is essentially the same. You'd know that if you played Sega's offering last year. Exact same character models, exact same animations, Slightly (and I do mean slightly) better graphics, improved franchise mode, and slower gameplay....That's all!!! Please tell me what's so ground breaking about that? Despite all of this, I DON'T hate the game - it's Sega football...and it's playable. I just don't enjoy playing it because I feel they took the fun out of it.
I had this game for almost a week, and I really tried to like it. I experimented w/ sliders, I mixed up plays, used a varity of play formations on offense and defense, challenged friends. I can probably beat most of you who love this game.:D The more I played the game the more it irritated me. I played this game so much that I don't want to touch ANY football game for the next month. Finally, thanks for all the suggestions some of you have given. I'm glad someone likes this game.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
Calvin, Fever 2003 is not like that anymore. They've changed it since last year. Why does everyone choose to cover their eyes and plug their ears to this fact. Fever is a pretty good BALANCED game in the 2003 offering.

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
Kevin, I didn't bash Fever 2003.
I haven't played it, so that is why I didn't comment.
Same reason why I didn't comment on NFL 2K2.
I respect people's opinions,especially those who have actually played (insert game name here).
I just have a different opnion,is all.
So I was nice!
This time ;) :D
Calvin

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
No problem Calvin.:) I didn't take your comment as a bash at all. I do wish, though, that Fever 2003 had a little more respect here. In Fever 2003, they have eliminated the "Hail Mary"-fest as I call it. You cannot just lob it up for Joey Galloway and Rahgib Ismail for the big play touchdown. The AI in Fever now makes you work your way down the field and put together drives, however no one ever mentions this. Hopefully it will get even better. Fever already owns the graphics department, they just need to catch up in gameplay and a little more variety in character animation.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Kevin,
I played the hell out of 2K2 on the PS2 last year and I loved it. I think the slight adjustments to 2K3 improved the game a lot. I never said the game was groundbreaking, but I did say it is the most "balanced" football game to date. I don't see the dropped passes that you are seeing. The only dropped passes are when my receiver gets hit right when the ball arrives. In the NFL, when this happens, 95% of the time the receiver will drop the ball. Only the good ones will hang on to it. Isaac Bruce usually holds onto it, but Holt will drop it 50% of the time. I do have a habit of leaving Holt hanging out to dry a lot though. :)
After playing about 20 games of 2K3, I still stand behind my claim that it is the most balanced football game to date. I have yet to play Madden 2003, but if it is similar to NCAA 2003 (which I love to death), it is right up there with 2K3. I did play Fever 2003 for a couple of days and it still feels to arcady. When it comes to football games, I want it to be as realistic as it can be. Only because I live and breath football. :)
-Dean-

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
Dean, I'm glad you like 2K3. No doubt it will appeal to people like you who are looking for the ultimate challenge in a football sim. As a football man myself, Kudos!:emoji_thumbsup: But in the end, I don't think this football game will sit well w/ casual gamers. I keep hearing people say, "I don't see the dropped passes", "I don't see the interceptions", "I can run the ball w/ no problems", "my buttons don't have a glitch"...and so on. These problems are present, and are not as easily remedied by adjusting the sliders. People who are not part of this forum will come to recognize this. Not everyone wants to lose control of the game to the computer. That's no fun, and it get boring really fast.
Again, Fever has its problems, but I don't feel it's as "arcadey" as some of you make it out to be. When online play gets into swing, I think 2K3 will be the most frustrating, and least fun to play of all the football titles. I can see some of you liking the ultra challenge that 2K3 gives you, but from what I've seen, I can't imagine that it will carry over well online. I think Fever will satisfy those interested in online play moreso than Sega's offering. Of course, I could be wrong....It wouldn't be the first time.:D

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Kevin,
Obviously if people are having problems with the button that won't be fixed by the sliders. However, the 2K series has always been a very unforgiving game. If you throw a pass into a bad spot, it is trouble. This is just like the NFL. I was playing football on Saturday (not videogame, but real football). I was covering a guy and he ran an out pattern, now I was a bit in front of him and about a step back. The QB thought he could loft the pass in there for an easy completion, but I made a jump on it and took it to the house for the score. The same thing happens in 2K3, if you try to hit an out pattern when the WR is covered, you are probably going to give up a defensive score. There are times when I throw to a WR running a post pattern and I don't see that safety sitting back there in 2 deep coverage. The pass either ends up being incomplete or picked off. Just like in real football, you only have a few seconds to scan the whole field and your eyes will make mistakes. :)
As far as 2K3 not being fun online, I think you will be wrong. Playing against the CPU is one thing, but playing against a human is another. You will see more mistakes when playing a person so you are able to see more pass completions and better running. However, this won't happen all of the time. My defense usually plays just as good or better against a human, only because I play the hell out of football games. :)
When GaryP, Brian Lawrence, and I played many online games of 2K1, they were very competitive and very fun. I don't ever remember a game that wasn't fun. Gary may remember that one game where he had less than 100 total yards against me, but that is another thread. ;)
-Dean-

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
My last game of 2K3 that I played was against San Diego. I was running the ball at will with Faulk against them (he had 130+ yds rushing in the game). It was 2 and 1 and I was already up by a couple of scores. I called a Play action pass. I come to the line of scrimmage and see that Holt is in single coverage and the safety is playing close to the line. I snap the ball and the whole defense falls for the fake, I look over to my left and Holt is about five steps in front of the defender. I loft one up to him and he goes 50+ for the score. I watch the replay, and sure enough, the corner bit on the fake. :)
That is what I love about this game, the realism is incredible. Play action works very well if you can run the ball. I can run the ball, most of the time. There are times though when the CPU shuts me down and I need the pass to open up the run. With the Rams though, I have no problem with that. :)
-Dean-

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
Obviously if people are having problems with the button that won't be fixed by the sliders. However said:
2K and 2K1 were awesome games that got me back into football videogaming. 2K2 and 2K3 are the ones that disappoint me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks