What's new

2 vs 4 Atmos Speakers (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Those KEF uniQ drivers are quite something. I bought a pair of the L50s and it was surprising how good they sounded for a bookshelf speaker.

I'm using them as rear surrounds right now, but, frankly, they are wasted in that duty.

Colin

Owner
Real Name
Colin
Question... with 7 main speakers + 4 height speakers, what kind of receiver would I need? Probably a receiver capable of 11.2?
Note: subs will have their own amplifier

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
Question... with 7 main speakers + 4 height speakers, what kind of receiver would I need? Probably a receiver capable of 11.2?
Note: subs will have their own amplifier
Yes, a 11.2 receiver would be needed. If you want to go on the cheaper side and don't need more than 1 8K/4K 120Hz input, you can get a 9.1 channel Denon AVR-X3700h ($1200 on Amazon) that has preamp outputs for the second set of height channels and use a cheaper Audio Source, Russound, or OSD power 2 channel amp ($150 - $400 on Crutchfield) for those height channels.

Good luck

Colin

Owner
Real Name
Colin
I'd recommend doing a design on sketchup or other 3d software. and using the protractor for the locations for the speaker placements.
I've compared this tool to my design and it's different.

I also suggest that you start thinking like a home theater over any personal preference reasons that will severly impact your experience.
Screens on shorter walls is often what's best for the audio experience as it allows distance from all speakers to the listeners and ensures that all ceiling speakers are on the ceiling. Sitting too close to back wall will severly impact the experience as a whole. Including the following. Speakers too close to listening position rear atmos wall mounted without any seperation between base layer speakers. Sometimes too far from screen!
Go 2/3 room distance. For optimal bass response.

My angle suggestions are the following.
0 center. 30 degrees front left and right. 110-120 degrees 5.1. Old guidelines was 90-110 for 5.1
For atmos. 45-55 degrees elevation. I'm doing 50 degrees myself personally in my next theater.

I've yet to experience 4 atmos myself and all the feedback on it that ive seen and heard when done correctly it's been overwhelmingly positive feedback and that 4 is better than 2.

What's your proposed distance from the screen? I find 110 inch to be on the small side of things. I'm at 3 meters for a 133 inch myself in the living room for sports!
And all these guidelines you see on suggested distances. It's a more causual experience with lower levels of immersion and viewing angles.
I can suggest the starting point of 45 degrees at least if you want higher levels of screen filling your vision.

I hope this helps.
What software did you use for design sketching?

sinisanav

Agent
Real Name
Sinisa Vujkovic
Interestingly, I used this Audio Advice room building tool just recently, years after I made HT. It has calculated, “recommended” all speakers at most within half a foot of position that they are in presently, especially when I used 60/40 ratio for “swe’re spot” ( MLP/ surrounding seats) . I did use it now to help me with Atmos placement, and it went within 4 inches of where I planned to place them. So, I think it has merit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks