Review: two of the BEST Dreamcast games are imports!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Y, Sep 28, 2001.

1. Steve Y

Steve Y Supporting Actor

...if you like puzzles, fighters, or puzzle fighters! I'm talking, of course, about Guilty Gear X and Super Puzzle Fighter IIX, the best representatives of the 2D fighting / puzzle genre (respectively) on the Dreamcast system.
    Unfortunately, They will not be made available in North America.
    Importing these great games is currently the only way to play them stateside. I highly recommend purchase if you love your Dreamcast, regardless of their eventual release into the increasingly impressive PS2 library. Do make sure you can play imports on your machine (the usual methods are compatible).
    _SUPER PUZZLE FIGHTER IIX_
    Three modes of play (the second two are exclusive to this dreamcast version):
    IIX: the most balanced gameplay. the familiar puzzle fighter action - drop pairs of crystals to form giant blobs of crystals, which can be shattered by special pieces for "moves"! Diamonds will shatter all crystals of one color.
    IIY: the fastest gameplay. this is a mixture of "columns" and "puyo puyo" - crystal blobs are NOT formed when colors touch! Drop pairs to form horizontal, vertical, and diagonal lines of three or more (same color). lines will shatter and send junk to your opponent! You also have a "fight meter" which (when full) can bring in a diamond, which shatters all crystals of one color from your side of the playfield.
    IIZ: the slowest, most challenging gameplay. IIZ is much like "tetris attack" or "pokemon puzzle league", but with a challenging twist. crystals rise from the bottom of the screen, and you have a small cursor which moves any FOUR individual crystals in a clockwise or counter-clockwise motion. This way you can move crystals all throughout your playfield (with a little thinking) to form the familiar "crystal blobs" (they're back!) -- which are in turn shattered by special pieces which rise up with the rest of the blocks.
    The graphics are nothing to shout at (about PS1 quality, maybe a little better), but they are colorful and the animations and voices are hilarious (all in japanese). It's a shame most people will have to wait for this title. (I hope it is released in North America someday!)
    This title also has "matching service" gameplay for online play, but it will only work if you live in Japan.
    _Guilty Gear X_
    This (as you may have heard before) is the best-looking 2D fighter I've ever seen on a console. I would definitely call it the best-looking, best-playing 2D fighter on the Dreamcast, hands down. (I have played the Capcom & variants and enjoy them only moderately)
    I have not played the original Guilty Gear for the PS1, but I've heard GGX is greatly improved over its predecessor. The "instant finishing moves" are still there, but they are harder to pull off and actually very entertaining (Mortal Kombat's only saving grace).
    The gameplay system is actually quite deep, but you need not keep track of a 2 or 3-level meter (as with Capcom's versatile but confusing A-ism / V-ism / X-ism fighting systems)
    GGX will likely arrive on the PS2 next year, but it's boggling that such an incredible release was passed over for the last leg of Sega's console. I can only think that the cost of translation/production/licensing was simply too much.
    ~Steve

2. BrianB

BrianB Producer

3. Steve Y

Steve Y Supporting Actor

Yeah, a friend of mine has the basic PSX version (super puzzle fighter II turbo). It's now going on ebay for some pretty inflated buckage. But the two extra modes in IIX (DC) are really worth the effort to import if you like the first one. Everything else is pretty much the same - graphics are a little better, as I mentioned, but not by much.
    ~Steve

4. BrianB

BrianB Producer

5. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer