What's new

Is it time to talk about coronavirus? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
On grocery shopping:

Wegmans was pretty quiet before 9:30am. They're sanitizing every cart individually before taking it into the front entry. They have a sanitizer station for customers on at the store entrance. They have taped X's in front of deli and meat counters to, I think, remind people to not crowd up and be near the workers. They continue to sanitize the checkouts after every customer, with tape marks to have you stand away from the cashier as they're scanning everything. They are taking overt and consistent actions to at least appear safe.

Target: Workers wear gloves, and that's it. But the store is so empty I could keep distanced from everyone unlike at Wegmans.

I'm not sure which store is actually better right now, all things considered.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
New Everything has changed so quickly, that I think some of the advertising we see was already set in motion weeks ago and stations are just running it anyway. I've seen and heard a number of commercials on TV and radio that seem inappropriate given current restrictions.
Our local CBS affilliate was running an apology as a banner during the opening moments of each program last weekend, apologizing for running ads for local businesses that had been ordered to shut down late that Friday afternoon. They must have been getting a ton of phone calls about it, but this is Nevada.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Taco Bell is my latest concern. This evening, I saw a televised commercial in which they’re giving away a free taco to every customer that shows up, this coming Tuesday. This ad was aired after just watching newscasters stress the need for us to cooperate and to “stay at home”.
This is a tough time for food service, and with food options at many grocery stores being limited, I see this more as a gesture of good will by YUMM Brands of saying "We are here to help." Krispy Kreme is giving away free donuts to medical workers. There is a restaurant in my town providing free spaghetti dinners on Thursday nights to anyone who wants them, no questions asked (they are even offering free delivery for those who are required to self-isolate). Mini marts are giving free milk and pastries to kids home from school. I see all of this as a way of uniting all of us during this troubling and scary time while still practicing social distancing.

Reactions: PMF

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Seems Sweden has been bucking the trend quite successfully so far...

https://reason.com/2020/03/25/despite-coronavirus-sweden-refuses-to-shutter-businesses-and-limit-gatherings/

Of course, a large part of that is probably specific to their culture and lower population density than say NY state, especially the NYC area. Still worth noting...

FWIW, I should warn that Reason is a libertarian periodical, and this article is more like an editorial/op-ed than plain reporting... though most reporting do tend to be at least slightly biased in some ways even if it's just what they choose to leave out or deemphasize, etc. I debated on whether to share this article instead of some others, but most others, especially from the more mainstream outlets, can be much more easily found w/ a quick google or your own regular newsfeed while this and its POV tends to be much less likely to show up for most...

IF moderators believe this is a bit too political, I'm perfectly fine w/ having the link removed.

Peace...

_Man_

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've deleted a post. The link per se just a news report. The anger and bile espoused around the article was too much. We're all scared. I want to keep these threads from exploding with righteous indignation and all that stuff that doesn't help us here.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
(Quoted post removed by Moderator)

That seems a bit unfair whether one disagrees w/ his assessment/action or not.

Don't think Dave has done anything else here remotely resembling such "true colors" -- I probably deserve such comment waaay more even though I actually also don't think those people should've gone to RI (and can agree enough w/ the gist of your sentiment), but just not so angry about it...

_Man_

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Everybody needs to calm down now! Another post was deleted because we're not going to accept people attacking other posters including our moderators. If you feel the need to do that then perhaps this forum isn't the right posting environment for you because we have specific posting guidelines against attacking others.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
The Feds are talking about relaxing some of the shutdown process. This is no time to ease up. Fauci is saying there will be 100K to 200K deaths in the US and they want to ease up?

I'm afraid I saw a reputable worst case scenario for the world that is larger than that. Here's a link and a quote.....

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/im...-College-COVID19-Global-Impact-26-03-2020.pdf

"26 March 2020 Imperial College COVID-19 Response Team DOI: Page 1 of 19 The Global Impact of COVID-19 and Strategies for Mitigation and Suppression.....We estimate that in the absence of interventions, COVID-19 would have resulted in 7.0 billion infections and 40 million deaths globally this year. Mitigation strategiesfocussing on shielding the elderly (60% reduction in social contacts) and slowing but not interrupting transmission (40% reduction in social contacts for wider population) could reduce this burden by half, saving 20 million lives...."

Last edited:

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
On grocery shopping:

Wegmans was pretty quiet before 9:30am. They're sanitizing every cart individually before taking it into the front entry. They have a sanitizer station for customers on at the store entrance. They have taped X's in front of deli and meat counters to, I think, remind people to not crowd up and be near the workers. They continue to sanitize the checkouts after every customer, with tape marks to have you stand away from the cashier as they're scanning everything. They are taking overt and consistent actions to at least appear safe.

Target: Workers wear gloves, and that's it. But the store is so empty I could keep distanced from everyone unlike at Wegmans.

I'm not sure which store is actually better right now, all things considered.
My local Kroger is a very small store. I had to go Friday after work and again this morning. Both times there were maybe 10 customers in the store with everyone going down different aisles to avoid one another and keeping pretty close to 6 feet apart at the checkout line. I felt pretty safe. My wife also sent me to Walmart Friday, Saturday, and today (I’m wondering if she’s trying to collect on my life insurance policy :P) and all three trips were a crap show of groups of teens running amok in the parking lot, and lots of people crowding through the store, not obeying the 6 foot rule. This morning there was a guy walking with his wife, open-mouth coughing into the air like he was hacking up a lung. I didn’t feel safe at all in that store.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
The Feds are talking about relaxing some of the shutdown process. This is no time to ease up. Fauci is saying there will be 100K to 200K deaths in the US and they want to ease up?
This is a great idea. Because there isn't any evidence at all that releasing restrictions too early will ramp up the spread of the virus.

Oh wait...:rolleyes:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Latest numbers from New York State:
Coronavirus_NewYorkState_20200329.png

(earlier dates available here)

965 confirmed fatalities -- 237 of which occurred just yesterday. Fourth consecutive day of triple-digit increases.

The good news is that DOH’s Wadsworth Center here in Albany has developed a new, less invasive COVID19 test that can be self-administered. This means that less health care personnel (and therefore less PPE) will be needed to do testing. The test should roll out within the next week, which hopefully means that the State can again resume large scale testing north of Westchester county.

In other news, Governor Cuomo has directed the state government workforce to continue working from home through April 15th. We were previously directed to return to our offices this Wednesday. The state's private sector work restrictions have also been extended through April 15th.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Fauci and the other Feds are not always on the same page. He's concerned with people's health, the others are more concerned with other non-health issues.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Latest numbers from New York State:
Coronavirus_NewYorkState_20200330.png

(earlier dates available here)

1,218 confirmed fatalities -- 253 of which occurred just yesterday. Fifth consecutive day of triple-digit increases.

Still no real indication that the curve is starting to flatten out:
Coronavirus_NewYorkState_20200330_chart.png

The University of Washington's Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) is making available data-based projections for how this thing is going to play out on a state-by-state basis, and those projections seem to be pretty well-regarded by the experts. They currently predict the following for New York State:
Coronavirus_NewYorkState_20200330_chartDeaths.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks