Is it time to talk about coronavirus?

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
My father picked up some groceries for me because I'm in quarantine, and he got me a hot coffee from Dunkin' too as a surprise.

Can't tell you how much a little thing like that just made my whole day.
Adam, keep us updated.

ManW_TheUncool

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
ManW
Take good care, Adam...

Thanks for making the daily posts w/ the NY numbers despite being sick... but please don't stress yourself over that and whatever else, especially since you probably need to rest up and do what's best for recovery...

Peace...

_Man_

Reactions: Adam Lenhardt

Jeffrey D

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Any church that is still open for services is being irresponsible at best & suicidal at worst. The most egregious example of this is the nimrod pastor in Louisiana who recently bussed in 1,000+ people for services! This scum-bag should be arrested for doing this. He's putting lives at risk! To make matters worse, he says that the coronavirus is politically motivated, even though it should be obvious to anyone with half a brain that people are getting sick & dying of this. As far as I'm concerned, pastors/preachers that do this are almost as bad as that POS Jim Jones.

It's people like this that are the reason this fucking virus is spreading. His congregation is just as bad, because they're following him & listening to him. What a bunch of fucking sheep:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...avirus-order-draws-over-1-000-people-n1168501
Couldn’t have said it better myself. What should happen to those morons is, if anybody in that congregation gets sick, they should be on their own- no financial help. Let those out of touch
idiots pay their own bills for care.

Mike2001

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Mike
I place all incoming packages in our front entry way and don't touch for a day or two. Toss most mail in the recycling bin immediately. Those few that come in also sit for a day. Of course I wash my hands immediately after touching anything from outside the house.

TJPC

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Terry Carroll
We still get a paper delivered. It arrives in the wee hours of the morning between 1:00 a.m. and 4:00 a.m. In these wacky times lately we are often still up, and hear a car pull up and the mailbox lid snap down. We have resisted all temptation to get the paper until the next morning around 10:00 a.m. reasoning that any virus would be dead by then.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Christou
Indian police have a unique way of scaring off the footloose.

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
I ventured out today to pick up a pizza and I must say the vehicle traffic was greatly reduced to what a Saturday afternoon typically is between 2:00-3:00 p.m. It's wasn't like Christmas Day, but you can tell more people were staying home.

Reactions: Tony Bensley

DaveF

Reaction score
Real Name
Dave
How are you guys handling your postal mail or UPS/Fedex deliveries? I know you're washing your hands, but are you disinfecting your incoming mail and deliveries? Does anybody know how long the Covid 19 virus is active on paper and cardboard?
live been doing as Malcolm does, nothing extraordinary but handwahing after handling things.
I don't think there's much chance of transmission by mail unless your carrier is infected and coughs/sneezes directly on your mail before putting it in your box.

To be cautious, I've been washing/santizing after handling mail, but that's a good practice any time, not just these days. If i get packages in cardboard boxes, I'll give them a quick spray with disinfectant, and let them sit for a day or two if the contents are not critical.

But I’m going change approaches as Robert advises: set my bills on fire with my gas stove. To make sure the virus is killed! :D
One more thing, apparently, cold hasn't killed other Covid viruses so placing stuff in the refrigerator and freezer will most likely be ineffective. However, heat does kill it!

Malcolm R

Executive Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Malcolm
I actually saw TP in a store today (Dollar General) for the first time in weeks, though I'm not often in DG so maybe they've had it all along. But I was in several stores today and that's the only place I saw it.

Reactions: PMF

Nelson Au

Executive Producer
Reaction score
About the mail and packages, I treat them as if they have the virus on them. I received a box of components from Asia via fedex last Friday. Samples I had to review for my job, had them sent to my house as our whole company’s offices is closed and we are working from home. I have an enclosed atrium in my house and left it out there for two and a half days. Luckily most of the days it was sunny. So it got some good sun and I turned it over with the rake a few times to make sure it was fully exposed to sunlight. Then I carefully opened it with gloves on. I used the antiseptic wipes to wipe off the components and let them sit in the sun for an hour.

This brings up my question as I don’t think anyone on the news has been able to confirm or has been asked, will the UV rays from the sun kill Covid 19? The news has said the virus can live on cardboard and paper a few hours, or 24 hours depending on the source of that news. No definitive time I’ve found. So three days seems like a safe bet that I leave packages and mail before handling it and I still wash my hands afterwards.

Josh Steinberg

Executive Producer
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
That sounds more or less like what I’m doing with my packages. Perishables need to be handled a bit quicker and are washed with soap and water before being put away. But boxes with household goods just stay in the little vestibule area next to my front door for 24 hours to ensure that they’re not dragging anything in. I figure between the 24 hours for the cardboard exterior and that plus the transit time for whatever’s inside, is probably good enough. I don’t think there have been any recorded cases of people getting sick from handling boxes or food so I’m just going to continue being diligent without hopefully becoming crazy person level of obsessive about it.

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Reaction score
I actually saw TP in a store today (Dollar General) for the first time in weeks, though I'm not often in DG so maybe they've had it all along. But I was in several stores today and that's the only place I saw it.
I saw toilet paper at Target the other day while buying some food. It was a gigantic package and priced accordingly so I passed but man, I hope I don't end up regretting not buying it because, to say the least, that won't be pretty. :)

Adam Lenhardt

Director
Reaction score
Latest numbers from New York State:
Coronavirus_NewYorkState_20200328.png

(earlier dates available here)

728 confirmed fatalities -- 209 of which occurred just yesterday. Third consecutive day of triple-digit increases.

A good interview with Dr. Fauci by Trevor Noah:

PMF

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Philip
Taco Bell is my latest concern. This evening, I saw a televised commercial in which they’re giving away a free taco to every customer that shows up, this coming Tuesday. This ad was aired after just watching newscasters stress the need for us to cooperate and to “stay at home”.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
Taco Bell is my latest concern. This evening, I saw a televised commercial in which they’re giving away a free taco to every customer that shows up, this coming Tuesday. This ad was aired after just watching newscasters stress the need for us to cooperate and to “stay at home”.
Isn't Taco Bell closed for seating and only has their drive thru open.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I do not know anyone personally who has passed due to this, but just spoke to a third friend that someone they know has passed. It makes it very real when you hear the anguish in someone's voice. One friend lost a co-worker, one an acquaintance, and today a friend lost someone who was a close friend and about to retire in July.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Christou

Malcolm R

Executive Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Malcolm
Everything has changed so quickly, that I think some of the advertising we see was already set in motion weeks ago and stations are just running it anyway. I've seen and heard a number of commercials on TV and radio that seem inappropriate given current restrictions.

I'm sure Taco Bell is not expecting crowds to show up to their restaurants.

EDIT: Talk about timing, I just saw this Taco Bell ad after posting the above ("We wish we could give you a hug, but we can't. So how about a free taco?). Yes, they're giving a free taco on Tuesday, but they emphasize that this is drive-thru only. I'm not sure this is the right time to be running a promo, but I'm also not sure a single free taco is enough to draw huge crowds.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tony Bensley

Dennis Nicholls

Executive Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Dennis
Idaho was one of the last three states to get any confirmed cases. Now Blaine county, home to Sun Valley/Ketchum, has the second highest per capita cases behind only NYC.

https://time.com/5811938/blaine-coun...o-coronavirus/

In other years I've driven past the Blaine county airport and noticed dozens of private jets. The above article notes that it gets an average 30,000 passengers coming into a county of 22,000 residents during ski season.

I'm sure this represents lots of Hollywood types escaping LA for their vacation homes in Sun Valley.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JP2