Is it time to talk about coronavirus?

Jeffrey D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Another pathetic story about a guy on a Boston area commuter train who licked some hand rails. The train had to be taken out of service. It makes me angry seeing these stories- it shows how morally bankrupt today’s society is.

Reactions: LeoA

ManW_TheUncool

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I don’t, but it was an easy decision because there are simply none available to be purchased in NYC.
Supposedly, you can find masks in the various CTowns around NYC... though there's some talk that they might be "fakes" -- definitely probable that at least some of them are "fakes" or at least some kind of knockoffs... maybe especially those that claim N95 filtration I guess.

My mother uses some and actually scolded me for not using them to go out. I very rarely go out anyway... though my wife has needed to go out most days to oversee needed building maintenance repair/refurb work (so far) and run errands while she's at that... She at least drives for that, not taking mass transit at all (as usual).

_Man_

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
My feeling is that I’d expose myself to far more risk going from neighborhood to neighborhood and store to store trying to find a mask. At this point, I don’t leave the apartment unit most days, and if I do, it’s just to bring garbage out or retrieve a delivery. I’m on track to only need a store visit every other week. So just the act of searching for masks would have me exposed far more than anything I’m doing now.

TJPC

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
A 19 year old in a McDonalds about 20 minutes away from us decided she did not want to work so produced a fake doctors note saying she had Covid. The place was immediately shut down, all food destroyed and time and money spent to disinfect it. She has been arrested and charged with mischief among other things.

ManW_TheUncool

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Yeah, Josh, that's mostly how I feel about the mask situation as well.

Maybe if someone in our household (or needed regular contact) is in the higher risk demographic, it might make sense... especially if/when we already go into a CTown for other errands and know where exactly to go for those masks. My wife does make sporadic runs into CTown, but she hasn't tried to get those masks.

Of course, all this and recent reports about some large inventories of masks discovered available that the fed and state govts supposedly weren't aware (on top of them trying to convince people not to bother) makes one wonder what the heck's really going on...

_Man_

Reactions: Josh Steinberg

Jeffrey D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
A 19 year old in a McDonalds about 20 minutes away from us decided she did not want to work so produced a fake doctors note saying she had Covid. The place was immediately shut down, all food destroyed and time and money spent to disinfect it. She has been arrested and charged with mischief among other things.
Yes someone here or in another thread said tough and uncertain times brings out the best and the worst in people. Accurate.

PMF

Cinematographer
Supporter
Real Name
Philip
Our rules are simple. If we venture outdoors, even to check the mail, we wash our hands. If we leave home, even for a walk, we wash our hands and face. Anyone entering our home is asked to either wash or use the hand sanitizer [made my own] positioned conveniently near the front door.
At this point of the Corona spread; and ten days prior; all good guests have been postponed from my dwellings, until further notice.

Last edited:
Reactions: John Dirk

The Drifter

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Any church that is still open for services is being irresponsible at best & suicidal at worst. The most egregious example of this is the nimrod pastor in Louisiana who recently bussed in 1,000+ people for services! This scum-bag should be arrested for doing this. He's putting lives at risk! To make matters worse, he says that the coronavirus is politically motivated, even though it should be obvious to anyone with half a brain that people are getting sick & dying of this. As far as I'm concerned, pastors/preachers that do this are almost as bad as that POS Jim Jones.

It's people like this that are the reason this fucking virus is spreading. His congregation is just as bad, because they're following him & listening to him. What a bunch of fucking sheep:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...avirus-order-draws-over-1-000-people-n1168501

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Director
Senior HTF Member
Latest numbers from New York State:
Coronavirus_NewYorkState_20200327.png

(earlier dates available here)

519 confirmed fatalities -- 134 of which occurred just yesterday.

The number of confirmed cases continues to be holding at around a 20 percent increase. But the good news is that the hospitalization rate might be declining.

Not from New York, but an important message wrapped inside a hilarious song:

Reactions: Sam Posten and PMF

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Real Name
Clint
Which brings up an interesting question, how many times are you washing your hands a day versus pre-Covid 19? I'm washing my hands at least 14-18 times a day not counting the times I shower or wash dishes. I've about doubled the amount of times I washed my hands since this pandemic.
Since I still have to report to work every day (my office is located in my client’s print and mail facility) I am constantly washing my hands when I go from the production floor back to the front offices. There is a restroom about 20 feet from my office so it’s an easy side trip. When on the production floor, I frequently hit up one of the hand sanitizer stations now located by every exit. The hardest thing for me is being disciplined enough to not touch my face when my nose itches.

Reactions: B-ROLL

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
Since I still have to report to work every day (my office is located in my client’s print and mail facility) I am constantly washing my hands when I go from the production floor back to the front offices. There is a restroom about 20 feet from my office so it’s an easy side trip. When on the production floor, I frequently hit up one of the hand sanitizer stations now located by every exit. The hardest thing for me is being disciplined enough to not touch my face when my nose itches.
I couldn't imagine how many times I would be washing my hands if I wasn't a retiree.

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
How are you guys handling your postal mail or UPS/Fedex deliveries? I know you're washing your hands, but are you disinfecting your incoming mail and deliveries? Does anybody know how long the Covid 19 virus is active on paper and cardboard?

Reactions: PMF

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
How are you guys handling your postal mail or UPS/Fedex deliveries? I know you're washing your hands, but are you disinfecting your incoming mail and deliveries? Does anybody know how long the Covid 19 virus is active on paper and cardboard?

This is a great question as it is right up my alley.

Coronavirus germs can stay on parcels for up to 24 hours.

However, there are still no confirmations that this disease is being spread by the mail.

However, what I do is wash my hands thoroughly after touching letters or cardboard.

There are a lot of postal workers who have tested positive for coronavirus at the distribution plants. It is unknown whether those were transmitted through mail or the fact that they work close to each other and the public.

There is a guideline chart I am looking for and will post here shortly.

Unknown.jpeg

Reactions: B-ROLL and PMF

Malcolm R

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I don't think there's much chance of transmission by mail unless your carrier is infected and coughs/sneezes directly on your mail before putting it in your box.

To be cautious, I've been washing/santizing after handling mail, but that's a good practice any time, not just these days. If i get packages in cardboard boxes, I'll give them a quick spray with disinfectant, and let them sit for a day or two if the contents are not critical.

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
This is a great question as it is right up my alley.

Coronavirus germs can stay on parcels for up to 24 hours.

However, there are still no confirmations that this disease is being spread by the mail.

However, what I do is wash my hands thoroughly after touching letters or cardboard.

There are a lot of postal workers who have tested positive for coronavirus at the distribution plants. It is unknown whether those were transmitted through mail or the fact that they work close to each other and the public.

There is a guideline chart I am looking for and will post here shortly.

View attachment 70435
One more thing, apparently, cold hasn't killed other Covid viruses so placing stuff in the refrigerator and freezer will most likely be ineffective. However, heat does kill it!

Reactions: Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yes, the video someone linked above with the doctor talking about handling groceries and takeout confirmed the hot/cold thing.

Heat seems to kill the virus, but freezing might actually preserve it longer.

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
To be cautious, I've been washing/santizing after handling mail, but that's a good practice any time, not just these days.
Yeah, I generally used to wash my hands after getting the mail before but now, I make sure to wash my hands. Maybe I'm foolish but I don't want to get to a level where I'm seriously worrying about everything being contaminated.

ManW_TheUncool

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Yeah, I generally used to wash my hands after getting the mail before but now, I make sure to wash my hands. Maybe I'm foolish but I don't want to get to a level where I'm seriously worrying about everything being contaminated.
Well, we're not actually dealing w/ the zombie apocalypse, so... it all boils down to risk management and realistic potentials.

Wonder if now's the perfect time to rewatch Zombieland or maybe Shaun of the Dead... :P

Sorry if it feels like I'm making too light of this...

_Man_

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
singhjabar