What's new

Is Hsu really that superior? (1 Viewer)

Tyson

Stunt Coordinator
This one is easy. Ditch the current coffee table. Build a sub using a pair of Stryke audio new 12 inch woofers in to a coffee table type box. Run the wiring under the rug or under the floor to the coffee table sub. Feed it about 1000 watts. No more bass null problems.

To try it out before going to the time/expense of building the coffee table sub, move your current coffee table, and put the SVS in it's place. Put on a bass heavy movie. Does your couch shake? If so, give the DIY coffee table sub serious consideration. The drivers aren't all that expensive, and you can get a local woodworker to cobble together something that is very nice looking. Think of it as "stealth" bass. Hehehe.

jaydee

Stunt Coordinator
Problem with that is the area rug under the coffee table costs more than my new truck, and it would be ruined if I poked a hole in it and there is no way she'd (boss) would let me screw up the asthetics of the room with a wire (covered) running over it. I've already pushed that area far enough with the addition of the SV 16-46 Monster. I need something smaller and lower budget.

Great idea though.

Lee Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Lee Bailey
Have you tried adjusting the phase control on the SVS? Maybe you are having a cancellation effect in your listening position. Just have your wife adjust it in small increments while you are seated in your chair, playing a movie, or music. Worth a try.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Jaydee thats great that you have your table to the right of the chair next to the wall. Place whatever sub you decide to go with there and I bet you a dollar you will be quit pleased with the result. Try firing the sub right into your chair to. It will act as a shaker for you and sound good doing it.:emoji_thumbsup:>> Important--Place sub under table if you can.

Tyson

Stunt Coordinator
Well, instead of a "coffee table" sub, why not an "end table" sub? Same concept, just use a single 12 inch Stryke woofer in a smaller box, and put it on the right side of the couch, between the couch and the wall, so you can run the wire under your baseboards, so that it's not visible. A single Stryke woof won't give you quite as much output as the SVS most likely in terms of anaechoic response, but since the sub will be physically much closer to your listening position, you won't have as much SPL drop due to distance (6db loss per meter of distance in most rooms). So, by having a sub even just 1 meter closer to the listening position will give you what ammounts to an extra 6db of headroom than placing that sub farther away. I was thinking maybe you could do something like:

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/92696...nqNO.AM1W1M4WY

And, on the bottom. . .

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/92696...6rNO.AeGaAFOo1

jaydee

Stunt Coordinator
Alright everyone...thanks for the advice, it has really helped.

What I've done is squeezed together my front package and stuffed the SVS to the left in the angled corner. It filled the hole in my chair, but created one in the passenger seat. Plus, it filled the rest of the room, including the kitchen with wonderful sound. I'm still going to go with a support sub next to my chair, to get even more effect.

Problem now is, when I went to look at various subs, I stumbled on to the Monitor Audio Silver Series. I've determined I need to replace my PSB Image 6T, 9C, and 10S's now. Wow, those Monitors blew my PSB's away.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks