What's new

Is Hsu really that superior? (1 Viewer)

jaydee

Stunt Coordinator
I have an SVS 16-46 PCi in a 400sqft room which seems to shake everything in the house but the chair I'm sitting in. I've moved the sub everywhere in the room possible, given its size and the existing furniture. Can't seem to fill the hole no matter where I put it. I'm thinking of adding an Hsu VTF-2 to place under a table right next to my listening chair, but I'm wondering, given the Hsu's size, if it is really that much better than everything else at that price point, since I've never listened to it. Someone mentioned the Paradigm PW2200 as being as good...but that sub is $200 more. I've spent the last 2 weeks looking at everything in Austin, Texas, on the web, and can't seem to find anything that souinds as good a smy SVS.

I can't understand why Hsu is supposed to sound better than everything I'm looking at which has the same dimensions and power. How can Hsu's sub be in the same class, given it's size compared to my SVS? I've read on here in the past several months the Hsu VTF-2 (I've been reading all this before the announcement of the new VTF-3)is comparable to the SVS...but it is so small.

jaydee

Stunt Coordinator
What is a bass-shaker?

Not the chair either, I've metered it, and a definite hole exists. I'm very limited to placement of the SVS due to the physical size of the sub. That is why I am thinking 2 subs dialed down for output may equalize the effect.

BrianKR

Second Unit
400sq feet?
That sounds like a prison cell ;)
Why don't you buy a 20-39PC+ instead of buying another brand sub? I had the HSU VTF-3 (a pair) and SVS CS+ subs in a room at the same time. The CS+ subs did more damage to my room the the VTF-3's. :emoji_thumbsup:

jaydee

Stunt Coordinator
I can't put another sub that size in the room due to furniture constrictions. I need something smaller. Plus, the room technically opens up a the rear into a kitchen @ 550 sqft.

Doug BW

Stunt Coordinator
Regarding comparing the Hsu subs to the SVS subs, Tom Vodhanel just posted some objective numbers just published by Howard Ferstler
here. Here are the numbers:

The numbers tell you that one 25-31PCi equals two VTF-2s and roughly equals 1 VTF-3.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Jaydee is there any way you can describe your room for us? Is there a way that you can move your chair? Can you get your chair up against a wall if it is not?

Ned

Supporting Actor
400 sq' is a room of 20x20' :)

You're probably thinking of cubic feet.

keir

Stunt Coordinator
do you have a concrete floor? my 16-46 pci shakes the walls pretty well, but of course my floor wont shake. but when i go upstairs above the sub the entire floor shakes pretty well.

jaydee

Stunt Coordinator
Ned: I thought cubic was total room including height (like a cube) and sqft was a flat surface...my bad if I misunderstood.

Keir: I have the same situation. Upstairs, my wife can't even blowdry her hair w/o telling the movie I'm playing.

Steve NN:
fxxxTxxRPTVxAAAxxTxxW
f W
f W
f W
f W
f W
xSV tttttttt sss W
x tttttttt sss W
x tttttttt sss W
x tttttttt sss W
x sss W
x CCCC CCCC W
xSS______________________SSW
Open to Kitchen

Legend:
W= Wall
x= innerwall
f= fireplace
t= coffee table
sss= sofa
C= Chair
SS= Surround
T= Tower
RPTV= Big Screen
AAAA= Audio Rack
SV= SVS 16-46

jaydee

Stunt Coordinator
Try this again

Steve NN:
fxxxTxxRPTVxAAAxxTxxW
f--------------------W
f---------------------W
f----------------------W
f-----------------------W
f------------------------W
xSV--------tttttttt---sss-W
x----------tttttttt---sss-W
x---------------------sss-W
xSS--------CCCC--CCCC---SSW
x-------------------------W
Open to Kitchen

Legend:
W= Wall
x= innerwall
f= fireplace
t= coffee table
sss= sofa
C= Chair
SS= Surround
T= Tower
RPTV= Big Screen
AAAA= Audio Rack
SV= SVS 16-46

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Jaydee I see your dilemma. You need a wall behind you. Your chair is out in the open. This is definitely against you. I am thinking and will get back. Is there any way you can get that chair up against the wall and move the sub by one of your towers for starters?

jaydee

Stunt Coordinator
No room to move sub next to towers (too tight). Chair cannot be moved against wall w/o blocking room entrance (i.e. Wife won't allow it) and (yes my cajones are attached).:D .

Other than that...am I going in the right direction with the additional sub?

Just called 2 dealers here...1 said Earthquake is his recommended and the other said the new Velo VLF-1012. Hmmmm, more confusion.:frowning:

jaydee

Stunt Coordinator
Trying this for the last time: (Sorry)

xxxxxxfxxxTxxRPTVxAAAxxTxxW
x----f--------------------W
x---f---------------------W
x--f----------------------W
x-f-----------------------W
xf------------------------W
xSV--------tttttttt---sss-W
x---------------------sss-W
xSS--------CCCC--CCCC---SSW
x-------------------------W
------Open to Kitchen

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Well if you put a sub under your side table by your chair, you are going to have cancellations. You can try it and see just what affect it will have. I have a few subs and have found out this is generally not the best. What would probably work out fairly well is going with one sub under your side table for general use and if you have company over to view something then run two. You will loose 2-4 Db running two subs in different locations but if placed right it will fill all viewing locations better in many HT rooms. You might see if you can find a table with a side or two on it if this table does not sit next to a wall. If it does?> It will work out very well I bet. It has for me anyway.___________________________________>>
I am fortunate. Right where my head rests on the couch is the most optimal for me no matter what sub-subs I decide on at the time. I was always against having a sub so close to seating until I tried it. Tom V suggested this to me to. I think he might know a little about putting your room to work for you? Hope you get the bass your looking for soon Jaydee. I think you will one way or another, it sounds like. ;)

BobRoulier

Second Unit
How about considering a quality in wall sub something like Atlantic technology? considering your placement restraints that might be something to look into;)

Good luck, Bob

jaydee

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Steven and Bob. I did forget to put a table to the left of the right chair on the diagram between the chair and the wall at the proverbial rear of the room.

Bob: I have no way to wall mount anything on the already built, lower level (of 2 level home), with windows and studs filling the right side and drywall on the back side of the left wall. Plus, I don't have enough air behind either wall to made decent bass out of any driver.

I think I will stick with the 2nd sub idea.:b

CurtisC

Second Unit
I have a klipsch rsw 12 in a 24x24x12ft room,it's at half volume,everything in my room shakes,even the cat,it's worth a listen.You will not want it by your chair.

jaydee

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Curtis...

Looked at the Klipsch RF-3 system with the RSW-15 to begin with and loved the sub, although it had a small hole in the demo room right where I was sitting (room was empty). Hear the RSW12 is just as good. I do like the volume control accessabilty, but your right...too much sub for so close.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks