What's new

In the market for a 4k projector (1 Viewer)

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Street price of NX7 is down to 5K or so? That would change the equation a bit.

Gregory Pauswinski

Supporting Actor
I was looking into whether I should pair the JVC NX-7 with a Panasonic 4k player. I read somewhere that newer firmware updates to the NX-7 mean that the Panasonic 4k player optimizer is no longer used?

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
There are no more street prices. The fucking mafia consumer electronics brands are now requiring MSRP on everything industry wide because its the only way B&M vendors can stay in business.
I noted this in another thread, but actual price is more than double, almost 2.5x in pricing I got then and now, in just three years from NX7 to NZ8.

The real effect is I’ve pushed my 4K upgrade another year probably.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
I was looking into whether I should pair the JVC NX-7 with a Panasonic 4k player. I read somewhere that newer firmware updates to the NX-7 mean that the Panasonic 4k player optimizer is no longer used?
You would still want to have one of Panasonic's Blu-ray players that supports their priority "HDR Optimizer". Panasonic's HDR Optimizer will reformat the content's HDR EOTF OPQ Curve to more closely match JVC's NX7's peak luminance.

Panasonic's flagship UB9000P1k has a second HDR Optimizer mode so you have two projector HDR Optimizer modes to choose from. The UB820 has one projector luminance mode.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I noted this in another thread, but actual price is more than double, almost 2.5x in pricing I got then and now, in just three years from NX7 to NZ8.

The real effect is I’ve pushed my 4K upgrade another year probably.

Curious why you always seem to compare the NZ8 to NX7 when making such consideration.

I understand some suspect the NZ7 might yield slightly lower quality results than NX7, but don't think I've actually seen anything to confirm that it's inferior enough to warrant thinking NZ8 is the true successor (w/ modest incremental improvements beyond not needing bulb replacements) to the NX7 though.

@Gregg Loewen certainly didn't suggest/imply any such thing earlier for instance...

IF I were still shopping now, I'd probably jump for the NX7 too if it can really be had for ~$5K... but I already bought an Epson 5050UB pretty much exactly 1 year ago and am still happy (enough) w/ it, especially given the room/space limitations I now have that probably wouldn't allow that much gains w/ the higher end PJs...

_Man_

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Curious why you always seem to compare the NZ8 to NX7 when making such consideration.
JVC has a three projector line-up. I’m comparing mid-model to mid-model. Which is NX7 to NZ8.

Also, stated native contrast numbers for Z7=X5, Z8=X7, Z9=X9.

If they were “honest” these would be NZ5, NZ7, NZ9. I see the model-number inflation to 7,8,9 as marketing hand-waving to try and distract from the massive price increase across the three-model lineup.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
IF I were still shopping now, I'd probably jump for the NX7 too if it can really be had for ~$5K... but I already bought an Epson 5050UB pretty much exactly 1 year ago and am still happy (enough) w/ it, especially given the room/space limitations I now have that probably wouldn't allow that much gains w/ the higher end PJs...

_Man_

If the NX line didn’t have its super long sync times, I’d probably buy a used NX7. But those sync times are make them a “no thanks”.

I’m wondering if I should look more seriously at the Epson 6050. But I can’t muster any enthusiasm in paying $4000 for fauxK in 2022. And my impression is Epson’s HDR tone mapping is not very good and I’d have to fiddle with HDR settings in the middle of every single show or movie to get it right.

I keep coming back to wanting to buy the JVC NX / NZ line because by all accounts they’ve nailed it with their DTM and HDR “just works” for all sources.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
If the NX line didn’t have its super long sync times, I’d probably buy a used NX7. But those sync times are make them a “no thanks”.

I’m wondering if I should look more seriously at the Epson 6050. But I can’t muster any enthusiasm in paying $4000 for fauxK in 2022. And my impression is Epson’s HDR tone mapping is not very good and I’d have to fiddle with HDR settings in the middle of every single show or movie to get it right.

I keep coming back to wanting to buy the JVC NX / NZ line because by all accounts they’ve nailed it with their DTM and HDR “just works” for all sources.

Good point about the slow synching issue. That would be very annoying, especially for streaming usage me thinks.

IF you just want something to hold you over for a few years, I'd say definitely consider the Epson 5050 -- the 6050 is really only very marginally better AFAIK, but the 5050 can sometimes be had for just ~$2.5K on sale w/ whatever deals... and I actually only paid ~$2.4K shipped for mine. Save the $ toward your eventual last(?) 4K display purchase (whether PJ or not... and/or setup/calibration) instead -- that's what I figured myself.

I don't really find myself fiddling w/ the HDR much... but then again, my current situation/setup probably isn't as optimal as yours to get the most out of what PJs are capable w/ HDR.

I don't think faux-K is a real problem... especially as we age -- and if you keep putting off the upgrade (from HDR-less 1080p), your eyes aren't likely to improve by the time you commit...

_Man_

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Good point about the slow synching issue. That would be very annoying, especially for streaming usage me thinks.

IF you just want something to hold you over for a few years, I'd say definitely consider the Epson 5050 -- the 6050 is really only very marginally better AFAIK, but the 5050 can sometimes be had for just ~$2.5K on sale w/ whatever deals... and I actually only paid ~$2.4K shipped for mine. Save the $ toward your eventual last(?) 4K display purchase (whether PJ or not... and/or setup/calibration) instead -- that's what I figured myself.

I don't really find myself fiddling w/ the HDR much... but then again, my current situation/setup probably isn't as optimal as yours to get the most out of what PJs are capable w/ HDR.

I don't think faux-K is a real problem... especially as we age -- and if you keep putting off the upgrade (from HDR-less 1080p), your eyes aren't likely to improve by the time you commit...

_Man_
I’d get the 6050 because I “need” a black device. I’m not buying a white projector like the 5050. :)

If the 6050 were $2500, what I paid for my Sony 40ES in 2016, I think I’d buy, and do an interim 4K upgrade. But at $4000, I’m waiting to see what evolves this year with new projectors and pricing on the JVC options, and even maybe the upcoming JVC NZ5 that might be a fair compromise for a lamp projector.

If I could get an in person demo comparing the Epson 6050 to the JVC NX7 to the JVC NZ7 to the NZ8, that could completely change my view on these things. But that’s nigh-impossible*.

(* There’s a demo party in two weeks in Missouri where they’re going to compare a bunch of projectors. It’s exactly what I want. But setting aside my schedule not allowing, in January of 2022 with the largest pandemic surge of two years, I’m not presently choosing to spend a day indoors unmasked with a crowd of strangers of unknown vaccination status. But I’m really looking forward to reading observations from those that attend.)

Last edited:

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
JVC has a three projector line-up. I’m comparing mid-model to mid-model. Which is NX7 to NZ8.

Also, stated native contrast numbers for Z7=X5, Z8=X7, Z9=X9.

If they were “honest” these would be NZ5, NZ7, NZ9. I see the model-number inflation to 7,8,9 as marketing hand-waving to try and distract from the massive price increase across the three-model lineup.
Except they still have the NX5 in their lineup.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Prior gen: NX5, 7, 9
New gen: NZ7, 8, 9

I’m comparing middle models across product generations. I think this is how people normally compare products.

Gregory Pauswinski

Supporting Actor
You would still want to have one of Panasonic's Blu-ray players that supports their priority "HDR Optimizer". Panasonic's HDR Optimizer will reformat the content's HDR EOTF OPQ Curve to more closely match JVC's NX7's peak luminance.

Panasonic's flagship UB9000P1k has a second HDR Optimizer mode so you have two projector HDR Optimizer modes to choose from. The UB820 has one projector luminance mode.

Thank you, Robert! I just bought the UB820 to pair with my NX-7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
francischen
Recent bookmarks