What's new

In the market for a 4k projector (1 Viewer)

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
Hi!

I'm setting up a proper Home Theater room and looking to replace my current HD projector and go 4k. In a perfect world, I'd get something that supported all of the HDR formats, but I don't think such a thing exists. I don't even see a lot that support Dolby Vision. My budget is flexible but I'm willing to spend $5-8k for good quality and bang-for-my-buck. Can anyone help me with recommendations?

Thank you!

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I have the Epson 6050-UB [which is a "faux-K model ] since I wanted to remain married and also own a new projector. :lol:

I don't have any direct experience with JVC projectors but I do know they are renowned for their black levels and overall picture quality. With your budget I would agree with @Robert_Zohn . The NX7 should definitely be on your short list.

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
Thank you for the recommendations. Both of those projectors sound very nice.

Why don't projectors support Dolby Vision? Is this something that will be coming soon? It pains me to think about not being able to extract the maximum amount of information off my discs.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Why don't projectors support Dolby Vision? Is this something that will be coming soon? It pains me to think about not being able to extract the maximum amount of information off my discs.

No projector can achieve the required brightness [nits] or native contrast levels required to make the implementation worthwhile.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Dolby strictly enforce the specification for Dolby Vision approval and I believe it's due to the limited dynamic tonal range of all consumer projectors. *Edit, I was typing my reply when John Dirk correctly answered what I said.

With the following elements you will have a great Dolby Vision HDR Cinema presentation with the SMPTE base layer HDR10:
  1. Light controlled room with the screen surrounded by a flat black ceiling and walls (or even better Duyetyne black fabric).
  2. A modern projector in your budget.
  3. A properly set-up external video processor or Panasonic's UB9000 4K HDR BD player/streamer.

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
I really appreciate the detailed answers, guys!

What type of video processing should I be looking for?

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Thank you for the recommendations. Both of those projectors sound very nice.

My understanding, perhaps wrongly, is a bit different from John and Robert’s: Dolby Vision requires known characteristics for the display, brightness, contrast, etc. For a projector, this isn’t knowable. The distance to screen (and so, zoom) and reflectance and scatter of the screen have a big effect on the projected images appearance and all of this is unknown for a Dolby Vision implementation perspective.

Maybe they’ll eventually create a DV variant that can be setup by licensed calibrators. But not yet.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I really appreciate the detailed answers, guys!

What type of video processing should I be looking for?

As of late 2019, I believe the best option for normal people is to use a JVC projectors integrated tone mapping. I understand it’s now better than that of the Panasonic UHD player, and works for all sources, not being limited to 4K discs.

Last edited:

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
@Gregory Pauswinski, the best video processor would be a Trinnov or Lumagen, but they are expensive. Although DaveF and I most often agree, this time I say go with Panasonic's UB9000 4K HDR BD player and streamer.

Panasonic's UB9000 has two priority HDR Optimizer tone mapping modes that are specially developed for JVC's projectors and that reformat the EOTF PQ to match the projector's peak luminance capability so you see the full dynamic tonal range and color volume that is mastered in the HDR content. Once the HDR peak luminance is configured to a contrast ratio that your projector can handle then let the projector take over and process its tone mapping.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
My understanding, perhaps wrongly, is a bit different from John and Robert’s: Dolby Vision requires known characteristics for the display, brightness, contrast, etc. For a projector, this isn’t knowable.

I don't think you're wrong. I may have been a bit lazy in writing my response. Instead of this...

No projector can achieve the required brightness [nits] or native contrast levels required to make the implementation worthwhile.

I probably should have said this...

No projector can guarantee the required brightness [nits] or native contrast levels required to make the implementation worthwhile.

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
Can I just say that this thread demonstrates one of the things I love about this forum (and have for...darn...twenty years): good information given in a friendly and easy to understand manner.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I've been a member of this forum for a long time and have been on some of the amazing trips but tend to only post when I'm working on upgrades.

The JVC projector looks amazing, but at this point I'm feeling like the Epson is closer to what I actually want to spend.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
@Josh Dial, and I just want to say... thank you for your very kind post! We agree HTF is a very friendly and most helpful forum for everyone to enjoy and learn technical details in an easy to understand style. Bravo to the owners, admins, mods and all of the wonderful members! I also love the Blu-ray reviews!

For me premium a/v has been my lifetime passion and career and I enjoy educating and helping everyone get the most out of their a/v system. Premium a/v delivers one of the best forms of home entertainment and the Home Theater Forum is the place to get answers and advice.

Last edited by a moderator:

CyFactor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Vince Turner
I've also been looking at a lot of projectors lately as I start to plan the new theater room. Just curious, but why the JVC NX7 over the Sony VPL-VW695ES? Contrast ratio on the Sony is much higher for a similar price (80,000:1 versus 350,000:1)? Is D-ILA that much better than SXRD?

Thanks!

--Vince

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I've also been looking at a lot of projectors lately as I start to plan the new theater room. Just curious, but why the JVC NX7 over the Sony VPL-VW695ES? Contrast ratio on the Sony is much higher for a similar price (80,000:1 versus 350,000:1)? Is D-ILA that much better than SXRD?

Thanks!

--Vince
Sony's advertised contrast ratio is higher, but I believe the JVC measures better

CyFactor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Vince Turner
No projector is going to be as awe inspiring with HDR as an OLED. Make sure you are 100% prepared for that before you buy.

I'm looking at 120" diagonal minimum and evaluating Cinemescope ratio, so I don't think OLED is in the budget, unfortunately. I'm currently running a 75" QLED, but we did some of our first HDR tone mapping demonstrations with Radeon products on the early JVC OLEDs, so I've seen how good it can be (minus the decay on the blue channel). I'm just looking for the best front projection in the budget category. If the sky were the limit, I'd just go straight to laser. :)

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
Hi everyone! Covid put a hold on my plans for turning my bonus room into a Home Theater room, but my plans are starting up again. I'd say that my projector budget is capped at $6k, but $5k is more appealing to my wife. :)

Have your projector recommendations changed in the past year?

Should I be looking at the JVC DLA-NX5? The Sony VPL-VW295ES? Anything else?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks