What's new

In the market for a 4k projector (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I'd say make sure you can actually do your HT room perfectly right re: light control, viewing size/distances, probably pro calibration and such (and don't forget the audio!) before spending that much on the PJ.

Otherwise, you may be better off spending (much) less -- maybe even just the Epson 5050UB (at 1/2 the price or less w/ a nice discount) that I ended up with -- until you're really ready to do all that me thinks... at which point the tech may even have advanced enough to be worth the extra wait... especially if this is just your first foray into front projection...

_Man_

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
In that price range, the two best projectors are Sony and JVC. Sony recently announced the successor to the 295. I’ve not seen direct comparisons, but the past couple years my takeaway was the N5 was overall the better projector than the 295, and it doesn’t look like the incremental Sony model update will change that.

JVC model updates presumably will be this Fall or Winter, if at all for 2021, and with all the tech shortages, who knows if anything would really be shipping until 2022?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I’ve yet to see any projector wow me with HDR. I’m willing to be convinced but so far my plan remains to go with 83+ inch panel instead of 120” projection on my bext upgrade cycle. Holding off this year. Maybe by 2023 we will have 90+ inch OLEDs

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Covid put a hold on my plans for turning my bonus room into a Home Theater room, but my plans are starting up again.
Congratulations!!! This is encouraging news indeed. Ironically, I have probably spent more on my HT room during COVID than ever before in such a small timespan. It just sort of worked out that way.

Otherwise, you may be better off spending (much) less -- maybe even just the Epson 5050UB (at 1/2 the price or less w/ a nice discount)

I’ve yet to see any projector wow me with HDR. I’m willing to be convinced but so far my plan remains to go with 83+ inch panel instead of 120” projection on my bext upgrade cycle.

I agree with Sam and ManW - It's ultimately a matter of preference and I respect both positions. In my case, I am and will likely always be a projector guy but as such I have accepted the inherent limitations of the technology. I've seen Sony and JVC models in action and, to my aging eyes anyway, they do not offer performance improvements that I would call "leaps and bounds" ahead of my Epson 6050.

If I were looking for the best possible picture I would do just as Sam has decided to and go with the largest flat panel I could get my hands on. Instead I have decided to put my OCD to work on the audio side of my room as I feel there's more literal bang [and boom] for the buck there.

CyFactor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Vince Turner
A lot can happen in a year. I actually pre-ordered a Sony VPL-VW325ES a couple of months ago (supersedes the VPL-VW295ES) until I started doing more research on it. Turns out it doesn't support lens shift, so it was ideal only for 16x9 unless you bought a separate lens adapter. I really wanted a 2.35:1 / 2.40:1 true widescreen. I found out there's a term for guys like me, and that's "CIH" or "Constant Image Height". Then I saw an open box deal from the same reseller on a Sony VPL-VW715ES and jumped on it. It was slightly out of the budget, but I'm making it work (12 months no interest). I also have the screen here now, a Stewart FilmScreen 126" 2.35:1.

Definitely check out the new Sony projectors with their X1 chip. From everything I've read, the black levels and dynamic tone mapping are a significant improvement over last generation.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
JVC model updates presumably will be this Fall or Winter, if at all for 2021, and with all the tech shortages, who knows if anything would really be shipping until 2022?

This announcement is what I'm waiting for. As it stands now, my plan is to buy the JVC DLA-NX7 before the end of the year (likely over the Christmas holiday period so I can spend the time setting it up and booking professional calibration). If they announce a new model then I'll wait. If not, then it's time to upgrade. I can't wait forever.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
This announcement is what I'm waiting for. As it stands now, my plan is to buy the JVC DLA-NX7 before the end of the year (likely over the Christmas holiday period so I can spend the time setting it up and booking professional calibration). If they announce a new model then I'll wait. If not, then it's time to upgrade. I can't wait forever.

And I’m in same boat as you. I wanted 4K in 2020. I really want to buy in 2021. Waiting for CEDIA to make decision on what to do.

I don’t know anything, but in reading forum(s), the prognostications is there won’t be a new JVC model announced in 2021. Possibly further updated firmware updates. My impression is that JVC is so far ahead of Sony in dealing with HDR, and Sony as their only competitor in the high-end is not pressing and just increased price, that they’re not pressed to try and race farther ahead. Also, pandemic.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
And I’m in same boat as you. I wanted 4K in 2020. I really want to buy in 2021. Waiting for CEDIA to make decision on what to do.

I don’t know anything, but in reading forum(s), the prognostications is there won’t be a new JVC model announced in 2021. Possibly further updated firmware updates. My impression is that JVC is so far ahead of Sony in dealing with HDR, and Sony as their only competitor in the high-end is not pressing and just increased price, that they’re not pressed to try and race farther ahead. Also, pandemic.

Looks like I should plan on buying the NX7 and spending my holiday break setting it up and watching movies.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
When the N5 and N7 launched, they didn’t really ship until Spring the following year. There’s guesses that if JVC did have new models planned to announce this Fall, given the global manufacturing problems in general and tech specifically, would they be shipping in volume this calendar year?

Who knows. Maybe there’s a new N8 that will be shipping in volume this November? Predictions are hard to make, especially about the future. :)

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi Greg. Send me an email if you want to chat about your bonus room. Id be happy to help out.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
On a related note, I currently have 1 JVC RS1000 in stock / ready to ship. IMO, this PJ out performs the Sony 295 by every measurable spec.
[email protected] if anybody is interested.

CyFactor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Vince Turner
I’m loving my Sony VPL-VW715ES. Even these old Knight Rider episodes look pretty decent. 😄

image.jpg

GeorgeHolland

Stunt Coordinator
I've also been looking at a lot of projectors lately as I start to plan the new theater room. Just curious, but why the JVC NX7 over the Sony VPL-VW695ES? Contrast ratio on the Sony is much higher for a similar price (80,000:1 versus 350,000:1)? Is D-ILA that much better than SXRD?

Thanks!

--Vince
Apples and Oranges. The JVC number you quote is for Native Contrast, the Sony number is for Dynamic Contrast. JVC lists the Dynamic Contrast of the RS2000/NX7 as 800,000:1

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks